Andy Stanley

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
I can see the point Stanley may be making here. The OT God behaves differently than the NT Jesus.
Excuse me Jesus is the OT God . It’s Jesus’s use of The OT that shows how He is God . This is why they wished to stone or eventually crucify Him . Jesus showed that He is the God shown the OT . Jesus’s hitched everything to the OT . As for acting differently I don’t see that . The God in the OT is loving and long suffering. How many times did Isreal resell and God showed compassion on them ? Look at the all the laws given to the Jews about how to treat the poor , the widow or stranger . Much like what Jesus said . No , I see no difference at all .
Blessings
Bill

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
This is what started it . Quote from Stanley
“The Bible did not create Christianity. The resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. Your whole house of Old Testament cards can come tumbling down. The question is did Jesus rise from the dead? And the eyewitnesses said he did.”
The above is what most are talking about . Stanley In his other statements alludes un hitching Christianity from the OT but the quote above confirmed it . Kinda odd seeing that Jesus quotes the OT scriptures (24 OT books) so many times.
Blessings
Bill
Its not that odd.

Everyone was still under the OT while the Lord Jesus was quoting it.

Then the Lord resurrected and expounded how He fulfilled the OT and how it was about Him.

But you don't hear anyone really doing that today. Most of what you hear is preachers trying to show how the OT is still in effect in some way, minus animal sacrifice of course.

I think there are some hidden gems in the OT. There are things that just aren't laid out in the NT like they are in the OT. I don't think we can just say "Get rid of the OT". There's just too much good stuff in there. Just because a bunch of people can twist it to mean something other that what it really does mean is no reason to get rid of it.

I understand what Andy Stanley is getting at and I understand WHY he would want to do what he is doing. I don't 100% agree but I don't 100% disagree either. I think it takes a lot of courage for a Pastor to take a new approach to trying to teach people about Christianity. I'm sure a lot of his congregation will understand the point of what he is doing.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
I can see the point Stanley may be making here. The OT God behaves differently than the NT Jesus.
Not really.

Have a read at the book of Revelation, its back to plagues curses and all that good stuff. Just like in the OT. Very similar

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Not really.

Have a read at the book of Revelation, its back to plagues curses and all that good stuff. Just like in the OT. Very similar
I feel very comfortable saying Jesus is about piece, love and forgiveness. Rev. at best is not about our current age. It most likely is a revolution about the past. Truth be told.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
Excuse me Jesus is the OT God . It’s Jesus’s use of The OT that shows how He is God . This is why they wished to stone or eventually crucify Him . Jesus showed that He is the God shown the OT . Jesus’s hitched everything to the OT . As for acting differently I don’t see that . The God in the OT is loving and long suffering. How many times did Isreal resell and God showed compassion on them ? Look at the all the laws given to the Jews about how to treat the poor , the widow or stranger . Much like what Jesus said . No , I see no difference at all .
Blessings
Bill
Not really. The events of the OT certainly are certainly the ground work for understanding the authority of Jesus. God’s wrath and the way he dealt with man is way different before vs after the cross. That is why there is a cross.