Animal Sacrifice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Subramaniyam

In the Old Testament there are many instances of animal sacrifice, in some cases the Lord asks for a sacrifice. To be blunt, what happened to it? Is it common belief now that it is an unnecessary act? Thanks in advance. I am new to the faith and have a lot of questions, (maybe stupid ones) thanks for bearing with me.

C

Cup-of-Ruin

In the Old Testament there are many instances of animal sacrifice, in some cases the Lord asks for a sacrifice. To be blunt, what happened to it? Is it common belief now that it is an unnecessary act? Thanks in advance. I am new to the faith and have a lot of questions, (maybe stupid ones) thanks for bearing with me.
Greetings,

Open your Bible to Book of Hebrews chapter 9, in that chapter the temporary sacrifices of the Levites are discussed along with the eternal sacrifice of Christ, the once and for all blood sacrifice and the superiority of the new covenant over the old.

blessings.

C

concernedguy

The blood sacrifices of the Old Testament were needed to cover the sins of the people until the
Promised One of God Christ appeared to become the only pure sacrifice that God would accept.
In the Old Testament, people were not allowed to talk to God. They could only talk to the High
Priests which then talked to God. Christ came to bring the Gift of Life and fulfill the Prophesy of
The Promised One of God that would bring forgiveness to the world and die giving His Holy
blood to erase - not cover our sins as the blood of animals did in the Old Testament - our sins.

Christ also opened the door to freely talk to God. This is why Jesus said No mam comes to the
Father except through Me. The curtain that was solid stone in the temple where the Priests
could talk to God was torn in half as Jesus died on the cross. God was no longer hidden from us.

Jesus came to be the eternal sacrifice for our sins so offerings are no longer needed. If they were,
Christ died for nothing. Jesus became our Eternal Priest allowing us to talk directly to God any time
we want to.

Christ did not come to abolish the Old Testament Laws. God's Word will never pass away. Christ
came to secure the Laws of The Old Testament. Once you start understanding the New Testament,
you will see that all laws of the Old Testament are still in effect in general. The laws are just
administered differently since we now have the fulfillment of The Promise of Christ.

The Ten Commandments were not sent by God as a set of Laws for us to live by. The Ten
Commandments were sent as a ruler for us to measure our selves by and then realize we could never
live up to God's Standard and turn to Him for help. But man in his infinite wisdom and ignorance
always has a need to prove himself as good and not rely on God. So man created hundreds of
rules that he felt would make him redeemed to God. But God never told man to create those laws.
The amazing thing is, man wasn't able to live up to the standard man set for himself either yet he
never thought to ask God for help.
God's only purpose was to show man his short comings through the Ten Commandments. Man has
tried every way he can for thousands of years to prove he is worthy but God rejected man's rules.
When Jesus was on earth, it was Christ rejecting the religious laws of man and doing what God said
to do that got the religious leaders riled up to put Jesus on the cross.

Man spends his entire life trying to prove his worthiness to God instead of taking 2 minutes to read
God's Word and learn he never can. If man could prove himself worthy, Christ's death would not
have been needed. It is amazing that though man considers God perfect, man appears to think God
did make a mistake sending Christ to die for our sins since man already has laws to accomplish this.

We must always push our earthly desires and thoughts aside to desire what Christ desires and know
the thoughts of Christ.

Jan 8, 2009
I read somewhere that some pentecostals from albania, before leaving for Azusa which would become the Azusa street revival, many decades ago, were told by God to offer a sacrifice so they sacrificed a cow.

What are your thoughts on that?

I personally think the pentecostal movements and their derivatives are unfortunately influenced by old testament practices that became obsolete since Christ. I also doubt they were told by God to offer a sacrifice.

C

concernedguy

I read somewhere that some pentecostals from albania, before leaving for Azusa which would become the Azusa street revival, many decades ago, were told by God to offer a sacrifice so they sacrificed a cow.

I personally think the pentecostal movements and their derivatives are unfortunately influenced by old testament practices that became obsolete since Christ. I also doubt they were told by God to offer a sacrifice.

I don't think they were told to offer a sacrifice either. If God did such a thing, He just belittled the death
and suffering of His Son Jesus Christ on the cross.

Too many religions seem to be told by God to do a lot of things that are not of God. Christ told us to
tell others about Him to the four corners of the world. There was never any place in the Bible that
Christ told anyone to give a sacrifice. If most of those professing to be Christians and religions that
profess to follow God followed His Word, they would never have time for wasted efforts.

Sacrifices are part of the Old Testament Laws of bondage. We are under the New Covenant which
frees us from the bondage of the Old Testament Laws. I would bet that God would much rather them
go out that night and tell others about Him than waste their time honoring an outdated law. Not to
mention, their acts are a disgrace to Christ death.

M

MaggieMye

I personally think the pentecostal movements and their derivatives are unfortunately influenced by old testament practices that became obsolete since Christ. I also doubt they were told by God to offer a sacrifice. Of course they were NOT told to offer a sacrifice! But PLEASE...don't lump all Pentecostals together! There are MANY different 'types' and not all are Biblical or even saved....though they think they are.
Maggie
Post #5 is correct.

Jan 8, 2009
I wish i could find the story it was on the internet somewhere.

H

happynGod

We no longer need animal sacrifices. Jesus shed His precious blood for us so we can be forgiven of sins. His blood covers all sins. And the only stupid question is the ones not asked, so never think a question is stupid. That is how we learn. But go to God's word for the true answers. Don't take man's opinion on things read Gods word. GBU

G

Graybeard

Hello Subramaniyam and welcome, read Hebrews 9 as stated below, that will answer your question

Greetings,

Open your Bible to Book of Hebrews chapter 9, in that chapter the temporary sacrifices of the Levites are discussed along with the eternal sacrifice of Christ, the once and for all blood sacrifice and the superiority of the new covenant over the old.

blessings.

L

Leilaii425

Kentucky fried chicken just sacrificed a cow and im eating now in the form of popcorn chicken

May 21, 2009
Lots of times they shared the meat with their family and friends after it was cut, cooked what ever way they were told. Thank God thats all over with. Jesus was the last who gave his life for us. If your new it's best to read John. Then go to Matthew and on. All that cutting up animals is hard to understand.

Jan 8, 2009
Could a person offer an animal sacrifice to please God? From the old testament God appears to enjoy the smell of burning meat, could it be done as an act of gratitude not as a obligatory sacrifice?

Status
Not open for further replies.