Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Your quoted scripture is about being worthy; not about salvation. It is about being received by Him at the pre trib rapture event than anything else. Let's go to Luke 14th chapter to see more information for how Jesus was meaning this for us to apply.

Luke 14:
[SUP]15 [/SUP]And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God.[SUP] 16 [/SUP]Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many:[SUP] 17 [/SUP]And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready.[SUP] 18 [/SUP]And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused.[SUP] 19 [/SUP]And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused.[SUP] 20 [/SUP]And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.[SUP] 21 [/SUP]So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind.[SUP] 22 [/SUP]And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room.[SUP] 23 [/SUP]And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.[SUP] 24 [/SUP]For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

See that? All of these people were invited to come but when the time came, each had a different excuse for not attending such as for one of the cares of this life or for even a loved one, a new wife.

Then Luke continued on by writing about how Jesus expounded on that parable on the cost of discipleship as in the cost of leaving the cares of this life & loved ones behind in order to attend the Marriage Supper at the pre trib rapture event.

Luke 14:
[SUP]25 [/SUP]And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them,[SUP] 26 [/SUP]If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.[SUP] 27 [/SUP]And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.[SUP] 28 [/SUP]For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?[SUP] 29 [/SUP]Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,[SUP]30 [/SUP]Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 31Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? [SUP]32 [/SUP]Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. [SUP]33 [/SUP]So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. [SUP]34 [/SUP]Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? [SUP]35 [/SUP]It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

So the cost of discipleship is not about how he lives his life down here, but how he must be willing to leave the cares of this life and his loved ones behind when the Bridegroom comes.

So it is possible for a saved believer to love his life on earth to not want to leave it when the Bridegroom comes.

Luke 21:[SUP]33 [/SUP]Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. [SUP]34 [/SUP]And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. [SUP]35 [/SUP]For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. [SUP]36 [/SUP]Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Luke 17:[SUP]28 [/SUP]Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;[SUP] 29 [/SUP]But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.[SUP] 30 [/SUP]Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.[SUP] 31 [/SUP]In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.[SUP]32 [/SUP]Remember Lot's wife.[SUP] 33 [/SUP]Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.[SUP]34 [/SUP]I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

So that is how you should apply Matthew 10:37-38 in context to what Jesus is warning believers to be ready for...not just for abiding in Him as His disciples, but being willing to leave when He comes.

let me quote just one verse from what you post

luke 14

27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, can not be my disciple

Is cannot be my disciple mean save?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Please list all the things you must do so that Christ will save you once you do them.
At least I give this:

1. Do not love your parent more than Jesus

2. Do not love your children more than Jesus

3. Take up your cross/suffer for Jesus

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

I make this topic to show the correlation between faith and love The Lord.

Salvation is by faith alone. Basically faith is believe.

believe or have faith in Jesus mean trust or believe what he say, believe that He is not a liar.

believe in Jesus mean believe that If you do not want to suffer for Him, you not go to heaven.

I make the title another requirement for salvation with the expect at ion some Will make correction. So we learn deeper, I expect some disagree with the title and explain why, so we learn deeper.

indeed salvation is by faith alone.

Dec 15, 2015
Matt10

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

love father and mother more then Jesus > not save

love they son and douhgter > not save

not take they cross and follow Him > go to hell

this is the requirement for salvation

1. Love Jesus more than parent and children

2. Take your cross/suffer for Jesus.

wont suffer for Jesus, go to hell

KJVRomans8;17 17. And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ;if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.; KJVPhilippians3;10-11 10. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his suffering, being made conformable unto his death; 11.If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.;The Lords Sons and Daughters do same as he did. Thanks the Lord for the best opportunity in the World to be as he is.

Aug 15, 2009
That thief on the cross who went to Paradise could NOT fulfil these requirements. Think about it.
The thief on the cross is used to counter many good teachings, because he didn't have the time to do anything.

God doesn't hold anything against His children if they don't have time. Neither should this guy be used for an example not to do anything.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
The thief on the cross is used to counter many good teachings, because he didn't have the time to do anything.

God doesn't hold anything against His children if they don't have time. Neither should this guy be used for an example not to do anything.
Seem to me this thief show 2 fruit

1. He Said dost not thou fear God.

He try to warn his friend, kind of little preaching, he work for the Lord like a preacher.

2. He Said for we receive the Due reward of our deeds, another preaching, and It show he that he love the thruth,

He is thief, deserve for It. But to punish Good guy is wrong. He not defend himself. He defend Jesus

mean he love Jesus more than himself.

1 corinthian 13
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth

base 1 corinthian 13, love Rejoice with the truth, so he has little love. Or bear the fruit of love

3. Remember me when thy comest in to thy kingdom

it is evident he believe Jesus is God/King of King. And he declare in public. Another preaching.

preaching is not always from the pulpit, can be every where and by any body. Ordinary man may preach better than pastor.

This man confest his sin and ask Jesus to Remember him. He defend Jesus, mean he Love Jesus more than himself

luke 23

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
Let us get this straight, OK? There are NO requirements for salvation. All requirements for our salvation was fulfilled in the person and work of Jesus Christ alone. Do not mix conditions with fruit, else you will be into the synergistic self-will camp. Salvation brings fruit with it, none of it being conditional for salvation. You are going astray if you think fruit is a condition for becoming saved rather than the result of having already obtained salvation.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
This is hard to recieve.. it takes time to truly understand why this teaching was given... for our own good we should put GOD above all else.

Sentiment can be a thorn in our side...

Mar 28, 2016
Than what is your understanding when Jesus say

who loves parent or children more than Me, not worthy of Me, is that mean go to heaven?

WHOever not take the cross not worthy of Me, is that mean whoever not take the cross go to heaven?
They are good guide lines for Christians .Not a requirement to be saved .Christ fulfilled that reqieurement with room to spare.

Mar 28, 2016

I make this topic to show the correlation between faith and love The Lord.

Salvation is by faith alone. Basically faith is believe.

believe or have faith in Jesus mean trust or believe what he say, believe that He is not a liar.

believe in Jesus mean believe that If you do not want to suffer for Him, you not go to heaven.

I make the title another requirement for salvation with the expect at ion some Will make correction. So we learn deeper, I expect some disagree with the title and explain why, so we learn deeper.

indeed salvation is by faith alone.
Yes through the labor of Christ's love, His work of faith alone.

Dec 28, 2016
At least I give this:

1. Do not love your parent more than Jesus

2. Do not love your children more than Jesus

3. Take up your cross/suffer for Jesus

...good luck with that!

You need to repent and believe the Gospel. You're taking texts of Scripture that describe a converted person and making them into something you need to do to get saved. That is where you are making a grave error.

But there is hope: Repent, and believe the Gospel my friend.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
...good luck with that!

You need to repent and believe the Gospel. You're taking texts of Scripture that describe a converted person and making them into something you need to do to get saved. That is where you are making a grave error.

But there is hope: Repent, and believe the Gospel my friend.

Yep I agree, salvation is by faith alone, but faith that saved is never alone (Martin Luther)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
You're taking texts of Scripture that describe a converted person and making them into something you need to do to get saved.
It's called confusing DESCRIPTIVE passages of Scripture with PRESCRIPTIVE passages of Scripture.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
Jackson,

Do you agree that Christ came not to bring peace but division and that there will be those who love and believe in HIM

And there will also be those who don't brlieve

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Jackson,

Do you agree that Christ came not to bring peace but division and that there will be those who love and believe in HIM

And there will also be those who don't brlieve
yep He make us peace with God but make division between us and the world.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
yep He make us peace with God but make division between us and the world.
You're supposed to be at peace with all men as much as you are able to do so

But you are not to compromise the truth

there will be enemies in your own house who do not understand and will suggest or do things that you can not do

this is what HE meant
HE didn't mean "hate" with some sort of physical fleshly violent passion

that's not what HE meant
because in the same token, in ignorance, those who do not know HIM, may physically come against you

you aren't to retaliate

you are to turn the other cheek

but the things that they do and try to influence you to do, if it is not honoring to the Lord and is against the truth you can't do

you honor HIM first and foremost over mother, father, sister, brother

But no violence
and no bitter root of hatred in your heart

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2016
It's called confusing DESCRIPTIVE passages of Scripture with PRESCRIPTIVE passages of Scripture.
That's what I said if you look at it bro. I thought I'd try another angle of saying it...lolzzzzzzz ;)

(btw I saw a picture of you and your wife on here in pirates garb in a thread. Closet RAIDERS fans, Arrrrrr!!!!) :p

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
You're supposed to be at peace with all men as much as you are able to do so

But you are not to compromise the truth

there will be enemies in your own house who do not understand and will suggest or do things that you can not do

this is what HE meant
HE didn't mean "hate" with some sort of physical fleshly violent passion

that's not what HE meant
because in the same token, in ignorance, those who do not know HIM, may physically come against you

you aren't to retaliate

you are to turn the other cheek

but the things that they do and try to influence you to do, if it is not honoring to the Lord and is against the truth you can't do

you honor HIM first and foremost over mother, father, sister, brother

But no violence
and no bitter root of hatred in your heart
yep, Jesus Said love your enemy. But God want us to separate from the world

Love but separate.

miknik5

Jun 2, 2016
yep, Jesus Said love your enemy. But God want us to separate from the world

Love but separate.
You can't separate yourself from people
You can't become detached and distanced
How do you love your neighbor by separating yourself from people?
Look at the parable of the good samaritan

What He meant and said by His Spirit is not to become defiled by the world.

Dont join in with those who are doing what isn't good or right
you can instruct them gently. Just don't join with them.

And if they don't listen, there isn't anything more you can do but pray that God will give them the knowledge of the truth

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

You are making salvation of works saying one must love Jesus above family and suffer for Jesus to be saved. How does one know he loves Jesus more than family? One might die for Jesus but might also be willing to die for a family member. If you are not suffering for your faith in Christ because you are in a country that approves of different religions or around people who are ok with you being Christisn, how can you practically speaking, suffer for Christ? As for following Jesus, none of us follows Jesus perfectly. So how close to Jesus must you be to be saved?

As we mature in faith, we love Jesus more and more. How many people would be saved if they had to right away love Jesus more than family and be willing to suffer for him right away? No where in the bible does it make this a prerequisite of salvation. If this was something required before salvation, why didn't Jesus tell this to the Jewish people in John chapter 6? Jesus said in John 6:47: Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in me has everlasting life. He did not say all who believe in him except those who don't love him more than family right away or who are not right away willing to suffer for him. Who would love Jesus more than family if they had to be willing to suffer for him as a requirement for salvation? Who would truly love a God who says you must be willing to suffer for me, even though you hardly know me as a condition for salvation? Who would love a God who demands that one must love him more than family before they can be saved? We love him because he first loved us 1 John 4:19.