Are people in your church saying you can't get close to God unless you follow their r

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

charisenexcelcis

Loveschild, it sounds, sadly, like the situation is spinning out of control. I will pray for your church, for healing, and I will pray for you for wisdom, discernment and perserverence.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I too pray with you for your church. The one who would be great must be the servant of all, not the master. Pride and control go together, unfortunately.

B

BananaPie

I have comme across so many rules just inchristendom

wanna make a list?

no tv
no movies
no slacks
must wear a tie
must have your hair combed
must not share your hat
must arrange your dinner setting

...just for starters

all this to be a 'GOOD' christian
...and no drinking coffee
no drinking tea
no drinking sodas (don't give money to the devil? Never understood this one)
no drinking alcohol (they use Welch's grape juice for Lord's Supper)
no smoking or be around smokers
no listening to music unless approved by the elders
no KJV or only KJV
no dating unless approved by the elders
no kissing until the day of marriage (you may NOW kiss the bride)
no marriage unless approved by the elders
no taking medicines as in vitamines
no prescription meds either
no chemo, rather pray for the cancer to go away
no sending children to public schools
no immunizations for children or adults
no diapers for babies (use cloth diapers)
no baby formula
no birthcontrol
no single brothers talking to single sisters unless in public places approved by elders
no singles sisters talking to married brothers
no single brothers talkint to married sisters
no sisters talking in church except for singing hymns and praying
no wife to financially support her husband
no husband husband to do housechores
no shaving your head
no dying your hair
no cutting your hair like a man, if you're female
no growing your hair like a woman, if you're male
no body piercing including earings
no tattoos including nail polish and make-up
no using credit cards, pay all cash; otherwise, you cannot afford it
no controlling/governing your husband (wife submit to the husband)
no sister to keep head uncovered during service
no wearing jewlery except for wedding band
no wearing high-heal shoes
no saluting the flag of the US
no military service
no carrying firearms
no firecrakers
no voting
no Sunday worship (services only on Shabbat)
no Sabbath worship (services only on Sunday)
no Santa Claus, no halloween
no celebrating easter, no christmas, no christmas tree
no celebrating anything including birthdays
no eating Oriental food (owners may be idol worshipers)
no eating Indian food for the same reason
no eating shrimp, clam showder, pork
no eating anything unclean
no visiting other Christian churches
no doing business with Jews or other nonchristian folks
no talking to anybody unless approved by the elders
and, of course, must always give 10% of income to the church no questions asked

...go figure.
Yes, some folks are holier than thou, yet the wonder of it all is the Lord died for them too.

B

BananaPie

And do you go to church? Just wondering?? Not taking a survey.
Nice post, loveschild.

Yes, I attend a Baptist church (no messianic congregation nearby). They are normal Christians following normal, healthy biblical principles; no weird rules there.

As for the pastor's praying situation, learn from his mistakes, and don't make them yourself. If the praying situation doesn't distract you from worshiping your Maker, then continue in fellowship there.

If you no longer find an "amen" in your heart for the overall fellowship practices, then you need to diligently pray for the Lord to lead you to anothe place of worship.

The best times to enjoy the Lord is when one's heart/mind is not distracted by man-made rules. You must never let anything come between you and your Savior. Otherwise, one takes part in the error too.

I wish you good cheer in your godly walk with Christ, for on Judgement Day it will be His shining face which we will see and not another.

jangel

May 12, 2010
Are all those no’s rules listed exist really in some churches? Wow, can’t believe it, I feel so stupid if I will stay in a church like that. I know there are principles in the Church that need to be follow for all of us Christians but all of those are written in the Bible clearly and anything that is not written in the Bible I don’t think anyone has the right to make his own rule and insists that to his members. Instead of making rules on their own, is it more right if these are there concerns? What exactly are we created for? What does God's desire and eternal purpose?.. the need for us to be transformed into the image of Christ (as opposed to just imitating Christ in our fleshly effort) and how are we to be transformed into the image of Christ... the need for us to carry our cross or how to really die to our self … the need to live by the life of Christ in us and grow in His Life as opposed to just doing some good works!

Dec 19, 2009
I have comme across so many rules just inchristendom

wanna make a list?

no tv
no movies
no slacks
must wear a tie
must have your hair combed
must not share your hat
must arrange your dinner setting

...just for starters

all this to be a 'GOOD' christian
I comb my hair at strategic times, what hair is left.
No, you can’t share my baseball hat.
Forks on left, everything else on right. Otherwise you go to your room.
TV is okay, isn’t it?
I wear slacks—I suppose you’re talking about women.
I stopped wearing a tie except for weddings and funerals. Actually, I’ve been to no weddings in recent memory.
Movies are okay, aren’t they?

G

giantone

Christians not considering themselves to be like those other religious bound by the law type Christians have a mindset that we can't have or shouldn't have rules that we choose to lay down for ourselves to obey.

Until recently I used to believe this, but it isn't true. I have been made free by Jesus's blood, I am also free to put myself under certain rules if I choose. If those rules bring freedom then it is likely they are good to follow, but if the rules bring bondage it is not so good. If I choose to be under leadership in the Church I need to be under it, and if I can't agree with the leadership something will have to change. (I might need to find a different Church)

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I chose to follow only one rule, the one Jesus gave us speciffically as a rule which He would live out through us by His Spirit in us. To love others just as He loves me, with His love through me. Nothing else.

May 21, 2009
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. We need it. And all the rules. Lifted my heart. As of late the pastors wife crushed my daughters heart with evil gossip. We have told this woman she can't gossip. She says she can if she doesn't say peoples names.

I never read that in the bible. I thank God that he gave my daughter the grace to forgive and she will keep doing Gods.

I am very sad to say that there is tiny few of us who have to go secret prayer nights to ask for Gods help in this situation. God is cool! He poured golden oil on us and showed us our warrior angels. Not our regular guardian angel.

We are doing as God tells us and we don't give up.

Times are not good when you feel the Holy Spirit glowing all around you and at the same time you feel the demon forces trying to hinder you.

God says stay focused on him and his angels are stronger than the evil forces.

Child have peace.

He says we can't do anything until he tells us.

We have to remember we are not fighting people we are fighting the demons that live inside of them.

But I tell you the truth. I deal better with demons who come straight up to me looking like evil ugly things than I do with people who say they are perfect Christians.

Gods grace to you all!

P

paul1149

loveschild, that's an amazing situation. I pray peace, protection and victory for you. It reminds me of a control spirit John alluded to:

I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church. Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.​

Also, the the church at Pergamum in Rev 2 had a problem with Nicolaitanism. Etymologically, that word suggests the "conquering of the laity".

Red_Tory

Jan 26, 2010
Right on, BananaPie. We all know that True Christians™ don't do those kind of things!

May 21, 2009
Wanted to share the good news! The Lord had told me to pray for Him to rebuke the people. So I did. Our little group kept in prayer for the Lord to tell us what to do.

We won't speak unless He gives us permission. Praise and glory to God He finally said I could open my mouth. The roaring lion of the Lord came out. He rebuked them from all kinds of wrong doings.

The whole room was silent. Some clared evil hating eyes at me.

But praise be to God most high. The power of the Lord has broken through the enemies walls. More than half the worship team has stepped down.

The church will be under Gods control or He will do what is necessary.

I can't wait to see what all the Lord does next.

I told them that their man made rules of intercessory prayer only on Thursdays is not a rule of God. The bible clearly says where 2 or 3 are together and agree on earth God will make it so.

See the church is open for prayer everyday and night.

Their fake rules of only one person can pray for everyone is not of God. They made it as they are so above everyone else many people needed prayers and felt as if they were breaking the rules to open their mouth and speak their needs.

Now they ask everyone if they have a prayer. They do intercession everyday. Praise be to God most high.

Thank you all for your prayers!

Blessings to you all!

Oh church counsil is having a meeting with pastor to say they want change.

God is good!

Jul 8, 2010
LOL those rules are hilarious....i have broken a good majority of the listed joke ones. I guess im really in for it

R

Ricke

Loveschild'Heritage
Excellent post. Every Church must have certain rules but even Peter declared h e was not The Lord over God's Heritage ( I Peter 5 v 3). One particular Church claims Peter was their first exalted leader and given a special title which in Latin says "Summis Pontifex" but Peter tells us he was only an elder! ( I Peter5 v 1).
Our Church has certain res, but the one you go to sounds a little strange when The Pastor refuses to let his flock lay hands to pray for someone. Our services sometimes we have everyone put their arms on the shoulder of the one next to them. Now our Sisters are with Sisters and Brothers with Brothers when we do this.

We don't beleive in Men hugging or holding the Ladies unless they are direct family Members. If you allow that Satan can do a number on the Church with his temptations.

We ask everyone who possibly can to go to the respective prayer rooms and pray for God's direction at least 10-15 minutes before service starts. Brothers praying with Brothers, sisters with sisters once again.

This is great idea, because you get "warmed up" for the service and God wants us to pray anyway.

Laying on of hands. If a lady comes to the front for prayer. Usually the Pastor or the Ministry, like I am, are the the only Males to lay hands on the Lady requesting prayer. If the Lady is seeking God as under Conviction then The sisters lay hands on her. And The Pastor and possibly Ministry again would assist.

Church is not some Preacher or Pastors personal Fyfedom. It is God's House. He runs everything, and we need to do whatever the Man of God says to do.....if it is Bible based.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Wanted to share the good news! The Lord had told me to pray for Him to rebuke the people. So I did. Our little group kept in prayer for the Lord to tell us what to do.

We won't speak unless He gives us permission. Praise and glory to God He finally said I could open my mouth. The roaring lion of the Lord came out. He rebuked them from all kinds of wrong doings.

The whole room was silent. Some clared evil hating eyes at me.

But praise be to God most high. The power of the Lord has broken through the enemies walls. More than half the worship team has stepped down.

The church will be under Gods control or He will do what is necessary.

I can't wait to see what all the Lord does next.

I told them that their man made rules of intercessory prayer only on Thursdays is not a rule of God. The bible clearly says where 2 or 3 are together and agree on earth God will make it so.

See the church is open for prayer everyday and night.

Their fake rules of only one person can pray for everyone is not of God. They made it as they are so above everyone else many people needed prayers and felt as if they were breaking the rules to open their mouth and speak their needs.

Now they ask everyone if they have a prayer. They do intercession everyday. Praise be to God most high.

Thank you all for your prayers!

Blessings to you all!

Oh church counsil is having a meeting with pastor to say they want change.

God is good!
This is good news loveschild.
Praise Jesus!
God bless, pickles