Are we too focussed on the trees that we disegard the forest?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

chuck001

Hello all. I just joined this forum and I am hoping for someone to give me their perspective and hopefully shed some light on a few things. It is my desire to seek God with everything I have and that raises some issues I would like discuss. It appears there are so many denominations and church organizations that seem to be in competition with another. If one organization has a problem with another, they will thump the bible saying "what you teach is heresy, non-biblical, etc.," and points to a particular verse or certain verses to justify what they say. On the other hand, the other organization does the same and cites verses that are convincing as well. The sad thing is, the vast majority of the time, both sides have a sincere and heart felt desire to follow Christ and believe he was God incarnate sent to us to atone for our sins through the shedding of His blood on the cross. However, they think they are doing God's work by assuming the right to call people devil worshippers or whatever simply because others don't worship the same way.

My point is, I am very interested in the Catholic Church (CC) because other denominations don't fill my spiritual needs. I have been reading up on the Rosary, as well as the history of the CC, and it is very appealing not because they are rigid but because, from what I briefly know and understand, it seems very real. I can't figure out why so many "Christians" slam the CC calling it evil. I have a met a few priests and they are genuinely great people. I am wondering if the sex scandal has left a permanent scar?

With all that said, if we wholeheartedly seek out to know God through Jesus, is it honoring to Him if we discover we may have been following the wrong path even though we honestly believed we were on the right one?

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
God steered you to the right place. You are going to fit right in into this community. There are many divergent views on various topics so please feel free to express your viewpoint. Everyone has a story on who they are and how they became the person that there now are today. Welcome to CC.

Mar 12, 2014
At least you understand that all these various religious groups cannot contradict each other yet all be right, all go by the bible. Jesus prayed "Thy word is truth" and truth does not contradict itself as all these groups do, so it is not possible they can all possess the truth while contradicting each other.

The reason I am not part of the Catholic denomination is it does not hold God's word as the sole and final authority on various issues but interjects its man-made opinions put together over the years.

Eph 4:4,5 speaks of "one body" and "one faith" and this one body and one faith can only be found from the bible, nowhere else.

Make a comparison between what the bible says about this one body and one faith with Catholic teachings (and other religious groups) and see if there is a match.

Just a few comparisons made:

--the bible teaches Christ established, died for and is the head of His one body/church, Col 1:18. No man, no Pope is the head of that one body found in the bible.

--the bible does not teach the man-made doctrine of original sin as Catholics and some other religious groups do.

--that first century church did not use musical instruments as man-made organizations use.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
My thoughts are that you should continue to read your Bible prayerfully asking God to send His Holy Spirit to guide you into the truth and trust God to lead you where He wants you to worship. Salvation is the most important thing and building that relationship with God and He will direct your paths and make the way straight for you to travel. Listen to His voice and follow His lead. God bless in your search of the truth.

K

kaylagrl

Hello all. I just joined this forum and I am hoping for someone to give me their perspective and hopefully shed some light on a few things. It is my desire to seek God with everything I have and that raises some issues I would like discuss. It appears there are so many denominations and church organizations that seem to be in competition with another. If one organization has a problem with another, they will thump the bible saying "what you teach is heresy, non-biblical, etc.," and points to a particular verse or certain verses to justify what they say. On the other hand, the other organization does the same and cites verses that are convincing as well. The sad thing is, the vast majority of the time, both sides have a sincere and heart felt desire to follow Christ and believe he was God incarnate sent to us to atone for our sins through the shedding of His blood on the cross. However, they think they are doing God's work by assuming the right to call people devil worshippers or whatever simply because others don't worship the same way.

My point is, I am very interested in the Catholic Church (CC) because other denominations don't fill my spiritual needs. I have been reading up on the Rosary, as well as the history of the CC, and it is very appealing not because they are rigid but because, from what I briefly know and understand, it seems very real. I can't figure out why so many "Christians" slam the CC calling it evil. I have a met a few priests and they are genuinely great people. I am wondering if the sex scandal has left a permanent scar?

With all that said, if we wholeheartedly seek out to know God through Jesus, is it honoring to Him if we discover we may have been following the wrong path even though we honestly believed we were on the right one?

I have just posted in another thread about this. Unfortunately the Catholic church teaches many things that are wrong according to the Bible.The confessing of sins to a priest that can absolve you of sin is wrong,only God can forgive sin.The worship of Mary is wrong,Mary did no miracles.Paying for loved ones to get into heaven is wrong.If you dont make to heaven no amount of money can pay to send you there after death.The belief that the Pope is Christs representative on earth and infallible is wrong teaching.Only God is perfect.Calling a priest "father" is wrong according to the Bible.Also praying to statues is wrong.So I hope that you might look into another faith a little more Biblically based.You did not say what your spiritual needs were.I know that may be personal but there are other denominations out there that could suit your needs but not teach false doctrines.Hope you find that place.

May 2, 2014

Welcome,

My advice would be to avoid all denominations. All they do is divide the body of Christ. I attended several denominations over the years and have since rejected them. As you point out they divide and separate over what they "THINK" the Scriptures say. The fact is most all denominations are wrong on some points of doctrine. If you choose to follow a denomination you will be instructed in their doctrinal positions. Unless you make a concerted effort to stay neutral you could be lead into those false doctrines. Staying neutral is hard if you are not well versed in the Scriptures, if you are, it may not be difficult. What I would do is avoid the denominations and seek a place of study that uses expository teaching instead of topical teaching. Expository teaching teaches the Scripture in context and what the passages are actually dealing with rather than taking random passages to prove a point. If you like I can give you some links to consider.

E

Eva1218

What one must do is be led by GOD with mankind there will always be conflict in your journey seek GOD and not religion HE will not led you astray.

Blessings!!!!!!!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
In response to the thread title only, many are, and many are not........

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Philippians 3:20, "But our citizenship is in heaven, out from which we also eagerly wait for our Ruler, Yahshua Messiah the King."

Acts 5:29, " Then Kepha and the other apostles answered, and said; We must obey Yahweh rather than men."

Matt 4:4, "But He answered, and said; It is written: Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of Yahweh"

John 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

Deuteronomy 18:18-19, "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brothers, and I will put My words in His mouth, and He will tell them everything I command Him. Whoever will not listen to My words, which He speaks in My Name, I will judge him for it"

"listen" is word #8085 שָׁמַע shama` {shaw-mah'}

Brown-Driver-Briggs (Old Testament Hebrew-English Lexicon)
A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.)

Hebrew Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar) - 1) to hear, listen to, obey

Dec 1, 2014
I have just posted in another thread about this. Unfortunately the Catholic church teaches many things that are wrong according to the Bible.The confessing of sins to a priest that can absolve you of sin is wrong,only God can forgive sin.The worship of Mary is wrong,Mary did no miracles.Paying for loved ones to get into heaven is wrong.If you dont make to heaven no amount of money can pay to send you there after death.The belief that the Pope is Christs representative on earth and infallible is wrong teaching.Only God is perfect.Calling a priest "father" is wrong according to the Bible.Also praying to statues is wrong.So I hope that you might look into another faith a little more Biblically based.You did not say what your spiritual needs were.I know that may be personal but there are other denominations out there that could suit your needs but not teach false doctrines.Hope you find that place.
Excellent post, my Sister! :)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
These verses are good for all to read and understand. We are truly strangers in a strange land.

Philippians 3:20, "But our citizenship is in heaven, out from which we also eagerly wait for our Ruler, Yahshua Messiah the King."

Acts 5:29, " Then Kepha and the other apostles answered, and said; We must obey Yahweh rather than men."

Matt 4:4, "But He answered, and said; It is written: Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of Yahweh"

John 12:48, "He who rejects Me, and does not follow My words has One Who judges him. The word that I have spoken, the same will be used to judge him in the last day."

Deuteronomy 18:18-19, "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brothers, and I will put My words in His mouth, and He will tell them everything I command Him. Whoever will not listen to My words, which He speaks in My Name, I will judge him for it"

"listen" is word #8085 שָׁמַע shama` {shaw-mah'}

Brown-Driver-Briggs (Old Testament Hebrew-English Lexicon)
A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.)

Hebrew Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar) - 1) to hear, listen to, obey

K

kaylagrl

Excellent post, my Sister! :)

Thank you.I talked once to two nuns.They were lovely ladies and without a doubt wanted to serve the Lord.Unfortunately the CC church teaches some very wrong doctrine.That being said I had a friend come to town that I hadn't seen in years.She was on a business trip and had several ladies with her.As it was Sunday we needed a church to attend.One of the ladies was Catholic so we went to the local church.It happened to be 9/11 and the memorial service was moving and lovely.We all worshiped God but only one lady was actually Catholic.After the service the folk were very friendly and greated us even though we were strangers to their church.So it doesn't matter to me what church Im in,I can worship God.But we need to be careful with our attitude with each other even if we have doctrinal differences.Bashing a person tends to only make them stronger in their belief and defensive.

Nov 30, 2012

As one of the resident Catholics on CC, may I say welcome to ChristianChat. Also, obey the Holy Spirit. If He leads you to the Catholic Church, good, and if away, good. Trust in God in all things.

C

chuck001

Thank you for all of the responses. I certainly appreciate it. It is my heartfelt desire that we all find God no matter what path we are on or decide to take. God Bless you all...