Bachelorette - “I have had sex, and, honestly, Jesus still loves me.”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018

‘I didn’t just go to the Fantasy Suite. I [had sex] in a windmill,” says celebrity
"Christian" Hannah Brown, the Bachelorette (on the famous reality TV Show)

By ROD DREHERJuly 19, 2019, 4:01 PM

On The Bachelorette, the popular dating forced elimination reality show, they are down to the last four contestants. The Bachelorette, Hannah, is an outspoken Christian as is one of the final four, Luke. The are at the “fantasy suites” in which the Bachelorette and each of the male contestants spend the night together. At one point, Luke tells Hannah that it would be a dealbreaker if she has had sex with any of the other three contestants and explains that such conduct would be against his own Christian values.

Hannah is outraged and basically kicks Luke off the show.​
Hannah sees absolutely nothing wrong with her strong Christian belief and extramarital sex. This apparent contradiction goes unexplained.​

Here’s a Daily Beast piece from earlier this week:

On a recent episode of The Bachelorette, lead Hannah Brown tells suitor and contestant Luke Parker, “I have had sex, and, honestly, Jesus still loves me.” (Jesus was not available for comment.)​
—the thing fans will likely repeat back to her for years to come—seems to be her sex and Jesus declaration.​
What she said is unlike anything we’ve ever seen from The Bachelor franchise. In years past, the show has danced around the topic of religion—or lack thereof—which is odd, considering that when picking a spouse in a matter of a few weeks, it’s sure to come up.​
Brown certainly isn’t the first Christian to appear on the show. But she seems to be the first person the show has allowed to have religion as a main character trait on the show. During the first episode, cameras showed Brown praying, “Lord, bring me your goodness and your love… Help me feel worthy. Help me feel smart.”​

Here’s a CBN story on the two of them arguing on social media.

Hannah’s (the Bachelorette's) views — that there is no contradiction between her easy sexual morals and her Christianity — are pretty mainstream today. according to Gallup’s recent poll of all Americans (not just Christians) shows that almost three out of four see nothing morally problematic with sex between unmarried people.
There has never been a time when Christians lived perfectly by the sexual teachings of the faith. What’s happening now is that Christians are flat-out denying those teachings. The relationship between sex and the body is not incidental to Christianity; it is close to the center. It is only in the past 60 years or so — since the arrival of the Sexual Revolution — that this has been disputed within Christian churches.​
Since then, generations of Christians have been catechized not by their churches, but by the culture. Many churches — not all, but very many — prefer to ignore the entire issue of sexual morality, finding it too controversial and embarrassing to discuss. You end up with people like Hannah Brown, a Gen Z Alabamian whose Christianity appears to be a garden-variety Moralistic Therapeutic Deism. Of course Jesus still loves her if she has had sex. Who denies that? That’s beside the point. The point is that from any remotely orthodox Christian viewpoint, those sexual acts were serious sins. That’s what she denies. She seems to think that they are at worst peccadilloes.​

Comments:unsure:

~Deut
p.s. - here's just a little bit of what the Bible has to say.

1 Thessalonians 4
3 This is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I thought I'd add this passage from the Apostle Paul as well.

1 Corinthians 6
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

11 Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

~Deut

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
On a recent episode of The Bachelorette, lead Hannah Brown tells suitor and contestant Luke Parker, “I have had sex, and, honestly, Jesus still loves me.” (Jesus was not available for comment.)—the thing fans will likely repeat back to her for years to come—seems to be her sex and Jesus declaration.
In my opinion, this is an example of people who profess to be Christians.........their Christianity is "profession" only! The Congregations around the Country (and mayhaps the world) have many such people in their midst IMO.

The old saying about talking the talk verses walking the walk..............lots of talking goes on, but not nearly so much walking.........not walking the Christ like life that is.........

Jan 27, 2015
On a recent episode of The Bachelorette, lead Hannah Brown tells suitor and contestant Luke Parker, “I have had sex, and, honestly, Jesus still loves me.” (Jesus was not available for comment.)
:LOL:

Honestly, it sounds like she wants to claim Jesus without having any responsibility to make any changes to her life now that He is (supposedly) Lord of it. Justification without sanctification.

All talk and no walk.

Dec 6, 2018
Dont know why she openly admitted it, but ... anyway ... 84% of all Christians have had premarital sex. I am sure there are worse things you could do. But, she goes to Hell for this because it is the same as mass murder.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi @Janeaux, mass murder is a different sin than adultery/fornication is, of course, but any sin, in the eyes of God, is sin (generally speaking*) .. e.g. James 2:10-11.

Sin is a big problem for us (1 Corinthians 6:9-10) but, PTL, it's a problem that we have been given a very gracious remedy for in the Person and the work of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ .. see Romans 5:8-10, 10:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 1:9.

I believe that the biggest problem for Bachelorette, Hannah Brown (at this point anyway) isn't her sin (or even the impenitent, sinful lifestyle that she's choosing to live in such a public manner .. as a "Christian"), it's the fact that she claims and believes that she is a Christian when the evidence tells us pretty plainly that her "claim", in all likelihood, amounts to nothing more than that, sadly :(

We all sin, of course, even Christians still sin, but one of the principle differences (between a true Christian and someone who simply "claims" to be a Christian) is found in the way that we respond to our sins whenever they happen.

As theologian/pastor A. W. Pink once said,

"It is not the absence of sin but the grieving over it which distinguishes the child of God from empty professors." ~Arthur W. Pink

God's laws weren't really intended for non-Christians to obey (because they can't obey them), rather, they were meant as a means of showing them just how sinful and hopeless their lives truly are, and then to drive them to the feet of the Savior in the hope of finding mercy and forgiveness for them in and because of Him .. e.g. Galatians 3:24.

The problem for Hannah is that 1. her sins have not been forgiven and 2. they are not driving her to the Savior to seek the only remedy that God has given us for them (as they were intended to do). However, her extremely emotional on air reaction to the things that Luke said to her tells me that she knows what she is doing is sinful, even if she won't admit that it is right now. Hopefully (like it did for me 33 years ago) the weight of her guilt (over her sin) will eventually cause her to seek the Remedy that God has offered her before it's too late for her to do so!

~Deut
p.s. - when I became a Christian 33 years ago, I left behind a very sinful lifestyle because my principle desire changed from wanting to find ways to please myself all the time, to wanting to please, honor and glorify God instead.

So the first thing I did was to grab a Bible, hoping that it would help me figure out what God's will is (because outside of the really big sins, like murder, I didn't have a clue back then). The problem I ran into however is this, the Bible rarely just comes right out and says, "this is the will of God", so finding His will for my life didn't end up being quite as cut and dry as I guess I'd hoped it was going to be at first.

However, in this particular case, that ended up not being true, because God chose to be blunt in His instructions to us with regard to sexual sin by telling us plainly,

1 Thessalonians 4
3 This is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.

*(there are sins that the Lord calls, "abominations", because I assume that He wants us to understand that such sins are particularly evil in His sight)

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
On the other hand...

since reality shows get their contestants through casting calls for actors,
and then the producers tell them what to do...

I wouldn't get too worked up about this.

Oceanti

Oct 23, 2014
Well we know what will really happen if she truly believes that.....pray for her.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
On the other hand...

Hi Maxwel, that is, of course, a sad possibility, but what else than her public pronouncements do we have to go on :unsure:

There is also the fact that our new poster, @Janeaux, brought up a valuable point about sin (in general), which I believe ~is~ something that is worthwhile to discuss (and to get "worked up" over too, if that's what it takes .. just kidding about the "worked up" part :)).

~Deut

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi again @Janeaux, I noticed that you're not a new member, but that you've just made your first post with us, so I'd still like to say, welcome to CChat, and thank you for deciding to join in by posting here as well :)

~Deut

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hi Maxwel, that is, of course, a sad possibility, but what else than her public pronouncements do we have to go on :unsure:

There is also the fact that our new poster, @Janeaux, brought up a valuable point about sin (in general), which I believe ~is~ something that is worthwhile to discuss (and to get "worked up" over too, if that's what it takes .. just kidding about the "worked up" part :)).

~Deut
It's always good to discuss whatever serious issues are raised in a thread.

So regardless of HOW serious issues are brought up, it's still good to discuss them.
I agree.

But as far as reality TV itself... ya know... it isn't real.
It's just a consumable product created by producers so they have something to sell.
That's all it is.
The producers either hire actors to act crazy, or they hire actors who are already crazy, who don't require much direction.
In either case, reality shows don't reflect reality or the views of majority demographics.

Btw, documentaries are made the same way, that's why they're often full of nonsense and errors... because producers have no interest in facts or truth.
Their only job is to make a product that will get views.
Producers often put intentional lies right into historical documentaries... anyone on these sets can tell you all about it, and how it's done intentionally. Producers are generally just a bunch of slimeballs. They're not much better than used car salesmen.

We all need to stop taking TV so seriously.
It's nonsense.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
We all need to stop taking TV so seriously.
It's nonsense.
Hi again Maxwel, while I'm in agreement with this statement of yours, as well almost everything else that you said above, the problem is, most people don't know what you know. What they see is a person on TV, a nice, intelligent, successful person/pageant winner, in fact (who many women would consider emulating, I think) making a big deal out of the fact that she is 1. a serious, born again, Christian and 2. that God has made it clear to her that what He says doesn't matter, at least in the case of pre-marital sexual sin.

This is one of the big reasons that I posted this thread to begin with, to see what our brothers and sisters in Christ here at CChat thought about this situation, because as Christians, we're supposed to be leading people toward God by our example and by our words, not away from Him (as I'm certain you are more than well-aware, of course).

Also, @Janeaux's data, that 84% of those claiming to be Christians have had premarital sex, made this matter seem even more pressing (in my mind anyway ;)).

I do get the point(s) that you are making though, and they are good ones!

~Deut

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Well we know what will really happen if she truly believes that.....pray for her.
Hi Oceanti, I agree, for her sake, as well for the sake of anyone else who may get the wrong idea about Christianity from her too :oops:

~Deut

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Deuteronomy,

It's good for us to address whatever people say publicly in a large venue... it needs to be done.
Please keep at it.

I just have a knee-jerk reaction whenever a Christian complains about Reality TV.
It's like hearing someone say, "Hey, I looked in this garbage pail, and all I found was garbage!"
:)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
:LOL:

Honestly, it sounds like she wants to claim Jesus without having any responsibility to make any changes to her life now that He is (supposedly) Lord of it. Justification without sanctification.

All talk and no walk.
Well said! Salvation without repentance! That kind of Christianity allows you to continue living the same way that you did prior to coming to Christ. No change!

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Well said! Salvation without repentance! That kind of Christianity allows you to continue living the same way that you did prior to coming to Christ. No change!
Hi Ahwatukee, so you're saying that salvation w/o repentance is a "kind of Christianity" where people have actually "come to Christ" and been saved :unsure:

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to repent and ask for forgiveness back when I first became a Christian .. or hey, perhaps even now (y)(y)

Kidding, just kidding ;) The weight of my sin became too much for me to bear. I had/have no choice, other than the one that God offers, that is .. 1 John 1:9 :)

~Deut

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hi Ahwatukee, so you're saying that salvation w/o repentance is a "kind of Christianity" where people have actually "come to Christ" and been saved :unsure:

No, actually I'm was saying the opposite. I should have said "so-called" Christianity. My meaning was/is, that you can't be a Christian without repentance. Otherwise, you'd just be willfully living in the sinful nature while calling yourself a Christian. In short, repentance is required. In other words, my post was sarcasm.

Kidding, just kidding ;) The weight of my sin became too much for me to bear. I had/have no choice, other than the one that God offers, that is .. 1 John 1:9 :)
Your sin being too much to bear is the right spiritual state, which leads you to repentance. It was the same for me. Having multiple relationships and sleep with each one was a problem for me for many years. However, while in that state I was grieved in my spirit, but had no strength to get out from under it. It wasn't until I was so grieved that I prayed to God telling him that living like this was either going to destroy me, or He was going to make it possible to finally get the victory over it. I was serious about it and at that time I separated myself from women and dating and cut everything out having to do with sexual immorality so that there was not temptation and God brought me through it. It was a spiritual and physical battle, but He rescued me from it.

~Deut

Dec 6, 2018
Hi again @Janeaux, I noticed that you're not a new member, but that you've just made your first post with us, so I'd still like to say, welcome to CChat, and thank you for deciding to join in by posting here as well :)
Thank you.

Dec 6, 2018
On the other hand...

Exactly. Reality shows are just acting parts. So did they tell her to say sex on a windmill to shock people? where did that comment come from???

Dec 6, 2018
[QUOTE="Janeaux, post: 3981982, member: 278257"]Dont know why she openly admitted it, but ... anyway ... 84% of all Christians have had premarital sex. I am sure there are worse things you could do. But, she goes to Hell for this because it is the same as mass murder.[/QUOTE]

I want to retract my comment above.
1) I do not get to say who/who does not go to hell.
2) I believe Jesus loves us all (including sinners). He said we are to "forgive 77 x7". This would mean, it seems, that jesus does love her .. and all people ... and forgives ... BUT, what he does to those who are unrepentant ... I really do not know.
Are the only options Heaven or Hell.
Are we literally saints or evil sinners? Are there people in between? Is there a difference between a mass murderer and a person who has premarital sex? I would think that God, who created all that we see and do not see ... is a bigger God ... than we, as humans can possibly understand.

I apologize for my judgemental statement up above.