beloved disciple

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2009
Well the writer of the gospel flat out states that the Beloved Disciple is the one that testified to them about the things written down in that book. The 'according to John' was assigned to the gospel later, but it's likely that this was an oral tradition in the church from its inception.

So unless the early church was very much mistaken about whose testimony the gospel was, the Beloved Disciple was John.

Jan 31, 2009
you can only find the Beloved disciple referred to in the writings of JOHN , this as John, the way most people see this is John, himself is boasting that God Loved Him more than the other disciples, just as I would boast that Jesus loves me more than he did John. But God Is not a respect of persons There would not have been a dsicilpe that was loved more than the other disciples. But Peter was a beloved, matthew was a beloved disciple and I am a beloved follower. since when did "beloved" mean most loved, it is just a saying that we are loved so John was Loved, just as I am loved.

Webster 1828

BELOV''ED, ppr. [be and loved, from love. Belove, as a verb, is not used.] Loved; greatly loved; dear to the heart.

so all John is saying is that Jesus Greatly loved him, man has put it that Jesus had respect for John more than the rest, but this just can't not be. yeah I know someone will ask about Esau, God hated Esau because without faith it is impossible to please Him, Esau sold His birth right for a bowl of beans he had no faith in God to take care of him.

Ro 2:11For there is no respect of persons with God.

Sep 2, 2009
i saw the beginning of this interesting show but i didnt get to watch all of it. it was exploring the identity of the "beloved disciple" from the gospel of john. did anyone watch the end of it and what do ppl think about that?

Sep 2, 2009
well Thaddaeus, as Densetzu said, most ppl now realize that john prbly wasnt written by john, it was decided to call it the gospel of john later by other ppl. but i get what u mean by the writer, whoever it was, was saying they were loved. i just found it interesting how, in this show, there was a lot of talk about, who may have actually been the brother of jesus, and how that was all covered up.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
It always amazes me how Our Lord God gives his word and then conferms. I was just reading this last night and wondered about it. Now here it is again in this post. God is great. God bless, pickles

Jan 8, 2009
As far as I learnt, the early church had a habit of writing things in the names of the apostles as representing them. They could have been disciples of the apostle in question or close associates.

Status
Not open for further replies.