Benevolence

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
Did the Lord mean for us to be a benevolent people?

D

dmdave17

Dear resurrection33,
Great question! :) I actually had to look up the word "benevolent" in the dictionary. Here's what I came up with. "Intending or showing goodwill, kindly, friendly,...". And, "Doing good or giving aid to others, rather than making profit, charitable,..."
I won't insult your intelligence by quoting a bunch of Bible verses. I think the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!
Thanks for the thought-provoking item.

Dec 19, 2009
Dear resurrection33,
Great question! :) I actually had to look up the word "benevolent" in the dictionary. Here's what I came up with. "Intending or showing goodwill, kindly, friendly,...". And, "Doing good or giving aid to others, rather than making profit, charitable,..."
I won't insult your intelligence by quoting a bunch of Bible verses. I think the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!
Thanks for the thought-provoking item.
Thank you.

I think sometimes we Christians forget the commandments.

S

Slepsog4

"Do good to all men, especially the household of faith." -- Paul

E

ed

Did the Lord mean for us to be a benevolent people?
Hi resurrection33,
I too looked it up in the dictionary which did not fully satisfy my doubts. When one washes all the difficulty out of scripture one is left with love. This word in itself has less impact than it should. In a nut shell, we are called to love one another. Very simple. To be benevolent, difficult as Jesus said do not do your good deeds for people to see, for they have their reward. (people's praise) Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
Therefore if I were to use the term benevolence, then I would have to add , in secret.

love
edwin

Dec 19, 2009
Hi resurrection33,
I too looked it up in the dictionary which did not fully satisfy my doubts. When one washes all the difficulty out of scripture one is left with love. This word in itself has less impact than it should. In a nut shell, we are called to love one another. Very simple. To be benevolent, difficult as Jesus said do not do your good deeds for people to see, for they have their reward. (people's praise) Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
Therefore if I were to use the term benevolence, then I would have to add , in secret.

love
edwin
Jesus told us to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. I think it is appropriate to discuss the teachings of our Lord and Savior in this forum.

D

DanuckInUSA

Yes we are to be a benevolent people.

E

ed

Jesus told us to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. I think it is appropriate to discuss the teachings of our Lord and Savior in this forum.
Hi resurrection33,
Your answer baffles me. It does not seem to address my post in any way. Can you explain the connection between my post and your answer please.
Just to refresh you, my post on benevolence said that I feel benevolence should be tied to secrecy.
love
edwin

Dec 19, 2009
Hi resurrection33,
Your answer baffles me. It does not seem to address my post in any way. Can you explain the connection between my post and your answer please.
Just to refresh you, my post on benevolence said that I feel benevolence should be tied to secrecy.
love
edwin
Jesus told us to love the Lord with all our hearts, minds, and souls, and love our neighbors as ourselves. I think this message should be shouted from the roof tops—not kept secret.

O

ONE_LORD

If you take care of the poor you will be blessed
yes we are supposed to follow Christ's example