Boyfriend over best friend.....I messed up

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

themusicmiss

Apr 1, 2010
So, this enquiry may seem a little secular so feel free to delete or report it if it is haha...I am on the verge of having a real fight with one of my best friends and its the last thing on earth I ever wanna do ..I hate conflict and I understand that we all go through it but I simply want to approach this situation as an adult, not as a teenage drama.

Lonnnng story short. I've never been in a proper relationship before...and as of October 2014, I've began seeing a guy. Its not like I went and picked up some random chap at a bar - this guy has been a friend of mine for around 15 months now. However we got closer this year in University because we have the same classes and his friends live with me and evidently, with seeing eachother every single day, and genuinely getting on like bro and sis - we got together. Its been awesome, aside from my parents involved with ministry and being a little concerned about his intentions. But apart from that, they are very very good to him. The problem lies with my (now ex) best mate.

She too has been a solid friend(my only real best one out of all the people I met last year and this year) and to be fair, she always put me before her boyfriend, I'll admit that. But this year, ironically since we live together in the same dorm, we've become distant. We started September off OK, we went shopping, had a few long-night chats but on the whole, I feel the summer seperated us(she actually didnt speak to me as she was working abroad and only spoke to me just before we got back to Uni which I found a little strange but I gave her credit as it was a hard job).. and so, since October, we literally only see eachother around 3 days a week. As soon as I started seeing him, he became my muse(selfishly, I look at this as inevitable. I'm kinda a one-friend-at-a-time kinda girl) and except for a few times in our early dating days, she never ever asked me to go see her...to hang out... etc. So we just didnt see eachother. Things became awkward as of November because whenever she was there, so was he(again, I didnt feel she was affected..I never heard from her) I realised it and wondered if I shouldv texted her(probs shouldve done to be honest) but again, she didnt seem bothered about seeing me at all. And with that attitude, it was my prerogative to put my 100% into my guy. Despite this low contact though, I actually made time for another close friend of mine and saw her every weekend just for a few hours and weve remained close. She sent me a very very angry e-mail on the last day of term saying she couldnt believe how I never apologised after all this time of "dropping" her and replacing her...I replied apologising and how I didnt think she wanted to be as close to me anymore and how I realised what Id done but that Ive been very occupied with him, but that made her very angry, and she said "Im not gonna give you another chance because I know you say things about me to everyone. So thats it now. Im here if you need me but forget it, you dont give a... about me". <-- This really got to me not only cos I didnt say ONE THING about her, genuinely, theres NOTHING to say to "others" about her but more so cos I literally never fell out with anyone before, and I really, really felt bad about hurting her when she needed me, so I poured my heart out and told her Id try fix things... to which she said "even if you finish with him, Im not gonna take it. Cos im your second choice. Is it cos you need me now?"<--- well that got me angry too, I dont need anyone..Im nearly 22, I have been in University for three years , I think Im capable without a consistency of having a best mate....I enjoy my own company and am used to spending most of my time solo.

I sound bitter, heartless and moreover selfish, but I don't have a time machine... on the other hand, my boyfriend and a few others have told me "As long as you keep your friends and guy balanced, youre fine. Dont waste your time on someone who is out to pick a fight..." so basically any step I take, Im wrong in her eyes. And more than anything, I want her to be OK with me. I messed up - I put one guy before her and I see it. I see what Ive done..but, I think she despises me. And I really couldnt get those things she said out of my head during this Christmas which sucks. I never had this before...please, please pray that I dont mess up again this year and if you guys have any advice on what move I can make next, youre a star, thanks guys.

S

Siberian_Khatru

You claimed to have copped to feeling guilty and apologized to her. My take: if you tried to make amends and she rejected your attempt(s) to salvage your friendship, it either doesn't mean enough to her for you two to reconcile, or she's perhaps bitter beyond reason.

There are always to sides to a story, though. Please take any advice you receive here (or elsewhere) with a grain of salt! In any case, it's a sad situation to see a bond broken. I hope you two are able to hash it out. All the best to you two, as well as with your romantic venture. :)

Dec 22, 2014
Maturity in friendships usually alludes to the idea of being able to provide the 1st of the 3 (sometimes 4) types of love; namely the "Agape".

Here's what I was just reading: "Whether the love given is returned or not, the person continues to love" (Source: Greek words for love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So to sum up:

1st of all, you should never expect to provide the same kind of love to your boyfriend as you would with girls you consider friends (or the one girl, since you're the one-friend-at-a-time kinda girl.) Lots of friends at a time or one friend at a time, you can't expect your heart to love them with the "Eros" type for example. There are limits to how deep they are allowed to penetrate your heart... but with a husband (or "boyfriend" these days... I suppose); he is entitled to all the 4 dimensions of love that your heart is capable of giving.

So what to do with an upset friend? Let her know that you love her, and that you will always love her no matter what... whether she loves you back or not, whether she's angry with you or not; that the way she feels will never have an impact on your love for her.

That's what I call maturity in friendship. You will manifest yourself to be the mature one by not "needing" her back. That way, she eventually will start thinking of you as any girl would think of an aunt or something... someone she feels she can always run to, to seek counsel, words of wisdom.

The "Jesus" inside you loved the world so much that he died (expecting nothing in return). But before dying on the cross, he also taught in the marketplaces, teaching words of wisdom to people who didn't have to pay a thing... and actually feeding them bread and fish, instead of charging them for his thoughts/wisdom.
He's still doing it today, and I'm sure that if you look back on your past, you'll see moments when words came out of your mouth and you had no idea where the hell they were coming from. So full of love, compassion... and lots of wisdom. Well, now you know who was talking (Christ in you)... and his love style (Agape), that's the same love he will love your friend through you... while your friends will think it's you loving them, and you being the only one who knows the real secret... that it's rather Jesus Christ inside you, and not you really.

That's my take. And please, remember to smile. :) Always.

Last edited:

themusicmiss

Apr 1, 2010
Some awesome unexpected answers guys, thankyou so much, to the above reply ^^^ thats exactly how I feel about her. Yep, a bit bitter when she says personal stuff but obviously I still see her as my close friend who I had 10000 laughs with last year. I just need to stay in that mindset and like you said, let her know that Im here for her.

Thanks so much folks,
God bless and Merry Christmas

Oct 30, 2014
So, this enquiry may seem a little secular so feel free to delete or report it if it is haha...I am on the verge of having a real fight with one of my best friends and its the last thing on earth I ever wanna do ..I hate conflict and I understand that we all go through it but I simply want to approach this situation as an adult, not as a teenage drama.

Lonnnng story short. I've never been in a proper relationship before...and as of October 2014, I've began seeing a guy. Its not like I went and picked up some random chap at a bar - this guy has been a friend of mine for around 15 months now. However we got closer this year in University because we have the same classes and his friends live with me and evidently, with seeing eachother every single day, and genuinely getting on like bro and sis - we got together. Its been awesome, aside from my parents involved with ministry and being a little concerned about his intentions. But apart from that, they are very very good to him. The problem lies with my (now ex) best mate.

She too has been a solid friend(my only real best one out of all the people I met last year and this year) and to be fair, she always put me before her boyfriend, I'll admit that. But this year, ironically since we live together in the same dorm, we've become distant. We started September off OK, we went shopping, had a few long-night chats but on the whole, I feel the summer seperated us(she actually didnt speak to me as she was working abroad and only spoke to me just before we got back to Uni which I found a little strange but I gave her credit as it was a hard job).. and so, since October, we literally only see eachother around 3 days a week. As soon as I started seeing him, he became my muse(selfishly, I look at this as inevitable. I'm kinda a one-friend-at-a-time kinda girl) and except for a few times in our early dating days, she never ever asked me to go see her...to hang out... etc. So we just didnt see eachother. Things became awkward as of November because whenever she was there, so was he(again, I didnt feel she was affected..I never heard from her) I realised it and wondered if I shouldv texted her(probs shouldve done to be honest) but again, she didnt seem bothered about seeing me at all. And with that attitude, it was my prerogative to put my 100% into my guy. Despite this low contact though, I actually made time for another close friend of mine and saw her every weekend just for a few hours and weve remained close. She sent me a very very angry e-mail on the last day of term saying she couldnt believe how I never apologised after all this time of "dropping" her and replacing her...I replied apologising and how I didnt think she wanted to be as close to me anymore and how I realised what Id done but that Ive been very occupied with him, but that made her very angry, and she said "Im not gonna give you another chance because I know you say things about me to everyone. So thats it now. Im here if you need me but forget it, you dont give a... about me". <-- This really got to me not only cos I didnt say ONE THING about her, genuinely, theres NOTHING to say to "others" about her but more so cos I literally never fell out with anyone before, and I really, really felt bad about hurting her when she needed me, so I poured my heart out and told her Id try fix things... to which she said "even if you finish with him, Im not gonna take it. Cos im your second choice. Is it cos you need me now?"<--- well that got me angry too, I dont need anyone..Im nearly 22, I have been in University for three years , I think Im capable without a consistency of having a best mate....I enjoy my own company and am used to spending most of my time solo.

I sound bitter, heartless and moreover selfish, but I don't have a time machine... on the other hand, my boyfriend and a few others have told me "As long as you keep your friends and guy balanced, youre fine. Dont waste your time on someone who is out to pick a fight..." so basically any step I take, Im wrong in her eyes. And more than anything, I want her to be OK with me. I messed up - I put one guy before her and I see it. I see what Ive done..but, I think she despises me. And I really couldnt get those things she said out of my head during this Christmas which sucks. I never had this before...please, please pray that I dont mess up again this year and if you guys have any advice on what move I can make next, youre a star, thanks guys.
She was gone working, you were doing your thing - uni work, boyfriend, summer funtimes in a different area - and while you didn't realize that you having a boyfriend and spending time with him was an issue for her, neither of you made much effort at contacting one another.

I'm not sure she values the relationship between you so much as she values being the center of your attention. It seems to me that if she valued the friendship she would easily accept that you have a boyfriend, whom you have spent time with, because friends should want you to be happy. It seems to me that if she valued your friendship she would inititate contact more often than she did. And it seems to me if she valued the friendship she would understand you now have a relationshp with a guy, she would accept your apologies and she wouldn't make this an ''it's either me or him'' situation.

All evidence wieghed up, I think she just likes the attention you gave her at one point. It appears you've been much more rational and grown up about it than she has, and you don't need to feel guilty.

What I would say is, being the more mature party, you can show acceptance of her level of maturity, allow her to grow, vent, whatever, and you don't have to make demands or love her any less; just treat it as her being your less mature sister. You still love her, even if she does make a big deal where none is necessary.

Last edited:

themusicmiss

Apr 1, 2010
^^^^ Thankyou human. I like these points as I literally didnt know how to respond this afternoon when she sent a group message to a few of our close friends to which I replied "Merry Christmas!!!" and she failed to respond to me but accepted everyone elses greetings...I felt scared for what would happen in return when we go back to uni in 2 weeks.

Anyway, sounds as if I should just take it on the chin and not revolve my world around it and still accept her requests if she want it.

Cheers folks