can a christiain lose their salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 8, 2009
For a saved person, walking through life and losing His closeness IS hell as far as they are concerned. Salvation is knowing Jesus Christ.

C

collective

thats right Mahogany

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
1 Thess 3:

5For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.
6But now when Timotheus came from you unto us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity, and that ye have good remembrance of us always, desiring greatly to see us, as we also to see you:
7Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith:

If people can't lose their salvation, what then was Paul stressing about? If satan can't cause someone to lose their salvation, why would Paul be worried that satan may have tempted them? If the tempter can't cause anyone to lose their salvation, why does he tempt at all?

Quest

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
1 Thess 3:

5For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.
6But now when Timotheus came from you unto us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity, and that ye have good remembrance of us always, desiring greatly to see us, as we also to see you:
7Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith:

If people can't lose their salvation, what then was Paul stressing about? If satan can't cause someone to lose their salvation, why would Paul be worried that satan may have tempted them? If the tempter can't cause anyone to lose their salvation, why does he tempt at all?

Quest

Yep Paul's labour would have been in vain if they had been tempted away, but... look how it turns out..they where still in the Faith..

Those Christians in Theselonica were under heavy unrelenting persecution, something that is foriegner to us westerners, those in the East would understand more, those living in oppression due to fact of being in Christ.

Paul's motive in sending Timothy, was to strengthen the heavily persecuted Theslonians (cf. 2 Thes 1:5-7).

Paul waited for word from Timothy, probably in greet anxiety, and I am sure he was greatly relieved when he found out that God's Children where doinf well in the Faith.

So we can have Strong Faith that God's purposes from before the foundation of the world, is not reliant on mans co- operation, or thwarted by satans attacks. What a wonderful God we serve.

Phil

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
To prevent others from seeing Christ.
But if they are irresistibly chosen before creation, then satan cannot stop anyone from being saved. His efforts then to tempt men are more vain than Michael Jackson's attempts to become Caucasian, or for a leopard to change it's spots. It's foolishness.

Quest

Last edited:

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
How about I tempt you not to eat Buddee? Eating is bad for you, stop it! Are you going to stop? You are irresistibly drawn to hunger, therefore you will not stop eating, and consequently my efforts at tempting you would be in vain.

Satan doesn't believe in Calvinism, because if he did he would leave you alone.

Besides, if God uses temptation to mold believers into his image, and satan can't affect your eternal outcome with his temptation, then there is no way that satan would tempt you because he would be helping God with no benefit to himself.

Quest

Last edited:

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Yep Paul's labour would have been in vain if they had been tempted away, but... look how it turns out..they where still in the Faith..

They had no choice but to remain in the faith.

Those Christians in Theselonica were under heavy unrelenting persecution, something that is foriegner to us westerners, those in the East would understand more, those living in oppression due to fact of being in Christ.

John 10:
28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

I certainly wouldn't be stressing if I were Paul. I'd be full of faith that God was in full control, and that any persecutions they would endure have been inflicted by God's sovereign will for their benefit:

1 Corinthians 10:
13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. (Also consider Heb 12:6).

Paul's motive in sending Timothy, was to strengthen the heavily persecuted Theslonians (cf. 2 Thes 1:5-7).

Paul waited for word from Timothy, probably in greet anxiety, and I am sure he was greatly relieved when he found out that God's Children where doing well in the Faith.

So we can have Strong Faith that God's purposes from before the foundation of the world, is not reliant on mans co- operation, or thwarted by satans attacks. What a wonderful God we serve.

Paul didn't seem to share your confidence.

Phil

Quest

Last edited:

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
I think it is people still trying to play a part, we dont want to humble ourselves before a Holy Sovereign God. we want to say instead. ME ME ME me, its my choice, I am the boss, I will decide.

This is so untrue Phil. I've been saying ME ME ME all my life, and frankly I am sick of it. Therefore I am on my knees asking God to make it HIM HIM HIM from now on. There is no glory for me, in that I ask for help rather than be stiff-necked. If anything, it is all the more humbling to have to ask to be saved.

Fortunately, God is in control, He will save you and keep you to the end.

How do we know? God may have chosen for Shelle and I to be condemned. It's highly probable since we are both Arminians. :D

Wow I really wonder how those who are saved can actually sleep, if you think you can lose your salvation, how do you know, that the work of the cross has saved you, you might still have some hidden sin somwhere wow you might not get to heaven.

I wonder how people can actually sleep, not knowing for certain that God has chosen them before eternity or not. Many have believed satan's lie that they are destined to be condemned, and have lost all hope of salvation.

Quest

C

charisenexcelcis

How about I tempt you not to eat Buddee? Eating is bad for you, stop it! Are you going to stop? You are irresistibly drawn to hunger, therefore you will not stop eating, and consequently my efforts at tempting you would be in vain.

Satan doesn't believe in Calvinism, because if he did he would leave you alone.

Besides, if God uses temptation to mold believers into his image, and satan can't affect your eternal outcome with his temptation, then there is no way that satan would tempt you because he would be helping God with no benefit to himself.

Quest
I am not a Calvinist, but a strong Calvinist would say that the devil tempts because he must! lol.

C

Consumed

doesnt book of James or Jude mention something about how sin is birthed, being started with a thought, a dart from the enemy, how we ourselves allow it to woo us by meditating on it (nesting on a vipers egg) and that when it hatches it is made manifest by us actually

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
I am not a Calvinist, but a strong Calvinist would say that the devil tempts because he must! lol.
Maybe he's a Tempt-Aholic. LOL He's just addicted to tempting.

TA = Tempters Anonymous. They meet on Saturday mornings in the church basement. :D

Quest

C

charisenexcelcis

Maybe he's a Tempt-Aholic. LOL He's just addicted to tempting.

TA = Tempters Anonymous. They meet on Saturday mornings in the church basement. :D

Quest
Maybe in the universe's basement (Hades).