CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
Many Christians don't see any difference between looking upon someone and the physical act of adultery. Checking out someone other than your spouse is indeed a sin, but I don't think it's the same as having physical contact.
Well there’s also a difference between looking at someone and admiring their good looks and looking to lust after them. One is thinking “They’re cute.” And the other is imagining have sex with them. Imagining having sex with them is a sin between you and God, but it hasn’t broken the physical covenant of marriage- and is therefore not divorcible. (I make up my own words lol).

Last edited:

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
The way I see it, ain't no one entitled to marriage.

I was married. The wife left me, got a no fault divorce, I couldn't legally stop. She married someone else a few weeks later. When I read the bible, what Jesus stated, what Paul wrote..... she is going to have to leave him too, and live alone the rest of her life, to repent, and return to God.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Well there’s also a difference between looking at someone and admiring their good looks and looking to lust after them. One is thinking “They’re cute.” And the other is imagining have sex with them. Imagining having sex with them is a sin between you and God, but it hasn’t broken the physical covenant of marriage- and is therefore not divorcible. (I make up my own words lol).
Yeah, some people thinking looking is always lust. Most times when I look at a womans butt, it's just that.... I just think in my head; "she must do a lot of squats and deadlifts."

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I seriously do not even know why you state this again? as I have never said otherwise

but you did just state that Jesus taught salvation by the law and Paul by grace. come on now..see yr post 24...but then you try to qualify it in a way that seems a tad confused IMO.

I actually believe you can divorce someone if they break their marriage covenant by abuse which I am sure alot of people will not agree with

however, a broken covenant is a just that...broken

I think if folks would avail themselves of studying and understanding the other covenants...Abrahamic etc...they might see better what I am saying but I cannot force someone to work LOL! although scriptures does recommend it

I try not to read INTO things...which I think you are doing to some extent here

please remember, as someone said, I am direct. not duplicitous...but definitely direct. :)

I don't know. I think we're on different wavelengths going the same way! I never said you said what I think you said about what I said! LOL

But I CERTAINLY NEVER said Jesus preached a different Gospel than Paul.

They both taught that salvation was attainable by keeping the WHOLE Law every moment of your life. But they both preach that NO ONE will be saved by keeping the Law because ALL have sinned. Why is that even an arguable point? If you could keep the Law, which we know is impossible except for Jesus, you could attain eternal life without Him.

Hate to use the expression, I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you, but it kinda applies here.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
According to what I am hearing some of you say, God must have stated there are TWO unpardonable "sins." And you have decided divorce is the second one.
There are more than two unpardonable sins, but I agree divorce or being divorced is not one of them. Someone who was divorced for cheating, but is now forgiven, should not be shunned or looked down upon. We all sin and fall short, and that was one of theirs. But the consequence to not marry again because they were unfaithful in a marriage, still stands for the remainder of their life on earth. Our sins, though forgiven, still have consequences on the earth. Forgiven means we can still go to heaven.

Prov910

Jan 10, 2017
CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?
In my mind the sin occurred at the first divorce. And that ship has already sailed. I don't think it's a sin to remarry. Did Jacob sin by marrying Rachel, his second wife? If it's not a sin for Jacob to marry Rachel (when Jacob was already married to Leah), then it seems like it wouldn't be a sin for a man with no current wife (divorced) to marry again. /jmho

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
I didn't watch the video, but Jesus ministry was to show that no-one could maintain the law and that only through His grace and mercy could one achieve salvation.

The law was the tutor to point to Jesus.

Jesus taught under the old covenant, so therefore taught under the law. (He could not be convicted as one that broke the law because He never sinned by the definition of the law of sin and death)

The new covenant was established after his resurrection. While the Gospels are in the NT, they are a testimony of Jesus teaching under the Old Covenant.

As Christians we tend to look at ALL of Jesus teachings as rules to live by, when in fact a lot of His teachings were to show the Jews that salvation could not come about by the rules they were living by. In spite of what people think Jesus was not talking to us all of the time. In fact, most of the time. It is His death and resurrection that speak to us as EVERYTHING pivots on that.

And only through the sacrifice He was about to perform, the last sacrifice, and the resurrection of the life of Christ, could salvation be obtained.

I believe we just went totally off the topic of this thread.

No. you are right on topic! Keep on going brother. You should listen to this pastor's message., he is preaching the Gospel and he is rightly dividing the Word of truth. I hope everyone who comes onto this thread will listen to this message posted by Marcello.

It answers a lot of the questions believers have about seemingly contradictions of verses in the Bible when in fact., there is no contradiction at all. The only contradiction is our understanding and our need to read the Bible and learn how to allow the Holy Spirit to show us how to rightly divide the Word of Truth. I've never heard of Pastor Joe Child before but this is an excellent message he preached. Thanks again Marcelo for putting it up here.

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
Yes, I am serious! Jesus, while on earth, preached salvation by the Law. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and heard about it for the first time only some 6 months ago. I don't ask you to trust me -- I just suggest all of us should start reading the gospels all over again and see that Jesus was "fulfilling the Law" -- interpreting the Torah according to God's will.

In the video below Joe Child clearly states that Jesus preached the Law while He was on earth.

[video=youtube;aCaqBdD9iTY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCaqBdD9iTY[/video]

​Reposting so this is not missed by those who come to this thread. Excellent message.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
In my mind the sin occurred at the first divorce. And that ship has already sailed. I don't think it's a sin to remarry. Did Jacob sin by marrying Rachel, his second wife? If it's not a sin for Jacob to marry Rachel (when Jacob was already married to Leah), then it seems like it wouldn't be a sin for a man with no current wife (divorced) to marry again. /jmho
Just because something is mentioned in the Bible doesn’t mean it’s not a sin. God made one wife for Adam. God says in order to qualify to be an elder in the church, you must be the husband of one wife. Therefore a female may not be an elder, and a man with more than one wife may not be an elder. It was asked if a man has been married more than once, if that means having more than one wife. The answer is no. If a widower got married again, and a census was taken, and He was asked “How many wives do you have?” He would say one.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

I agree., our answers need to come from the Word of God. And I see that forgiveness is given in all areas as I posted. Did you read the other posts as well as the OP? Giving the Bible verses and the Scriptural principals about this subject. Forgiveness and grace are very difficult for humans to reason out without the help of the Holy Spirit.
Forgiveness comes when a person believes the Word of God and acknowledges their transgressions against His Word are wrong.. Not when they seek to justify their transgressions as being ok and good simply by stating they are good because they will be forgiven....

What if a person comes forward and says they feel the desire to kill people and that they intend to go on a killing spree and feel justified that it is ok because they will be forgiven through the Atonement of Jesus...

No one will be forgiven if they try to justify their transgressions against God..

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Forgiveness comes when a person believes the Word of God and acknowledges their transgressions against His Word are wrong.. Not when they seek to justify their transgressions as being ok and good simply by stating they are good because they will be forgiven....

What if a person comes forward and says they feel the desire to kill people and that they intend to go on a killing spree and feel justified that it is ok because they will be forgiven through the Atonement of Jesus...

No one will be forgiven if they try to justify their transgressions against God..
That would be a good time to think about casting out demons. Don't ya think? :)

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017

As a believer., we have forgiveness already because we have been made righteous IN Christ not by our works, but by His. We need to receive that knowledge each day and walk it out. Repentance is something we will be doing for the rest of our lives... Repentance for us believers is about changing our minds from our way of thinking and agreeing with God and His way of thinking.

So when we repent we are not seeking to justify our sins., we see our behavior is not in line with who we are in Christ and we repent and change our minds to believe His ways and not our old ways of living and thinking. We know now the goodness of God brings repentance. We don't fear God's judgment anymore., what we fear is not walking with Him because walking with Him brings joy and peace and success.

Walking our own way brings confusion., failure and ultimately death. But those things are not coming from God's hand., but from the natural consequences of sin. "Sin brings forth death" Jesus gives life and that more abundantly. A believer in Jesus Christ who has been born again and made into a new creation is not coming forward and saying they feel the desire to kill people and that they intend to go on a killing spree and feel justified that it is ok because they will be forgiven through the Atonement of Jesus...

I don't know why some people must take things to the most bazaar outrageous extremes except to try and win an argument. Are you comparing divorced people to persons who go out on killing sprees? Or maybe becoming part of a satanic group? maybe becoming a satanic priest?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I'm so thankful for His mercy and grace which covers me each day. May I forget about crossing every t and dotting every i in order to please Him. I could never do enough works to get myself into heaven. Being divorced and remarrying is not the ultimate sin nor is it the "unpardonable" sin.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

As a believer., we have forgiveness already because we have been made righteous IN Christ not by our works, but by His. We need to receive that knowledge each day and walk it out. Repentance is something we will be doing for the rest of our lives... Repentance for us believers is about changing our minds from our way of thinking and agreeing with God and His way of thinking.

So when we repent we are not seeking to justify our sins., we see our behavior is not in line with who we are in Christ and we repent and change our minds to believe His ways and not our old ways of living and thinking. We know now the goodness of God brings repentance. We don't fear God's judgment anymore., what we fear is not walking with Him because walking with Him brings joy and peace and success.

Walking our own way brings confusion., failure and ultimately death. But those things are not coming from God's hand., but from the natural consequences of sin. "Sin brings forth death" Jesus gives life and that more abundantly. A believer in Jesus Christ who has been born again and made into a new creation is not coming forward and saying they feel the desire to kill people and that they intend to go on a killing spree and feel justified that it is ok because they will be forgiven through the Atonement of Jesus...

I don't know why some people must take things to the most bazaar outrageous extremes except to try and win an argument. Are you comparing divorced people to persons who go out on killing sprees? Or maybe becoming part of a satanic group? maybe becoming a satanic priest?

Any Un-forgiven transgression of the Law will see the person condemned to eternity in the Lake of Fire.. It matters not if they reject Gods truth in regards to killing or they reject gods truth as in regards to marraige and divorce.. We will not be forgiven sins we refuse to aknowledge as sin.. Thats why i said we must never resist the Message of God..

As long as we are not rebellious against His Word we are covered by His Blood...

And it's not about ""winning an argument"" It's about whether or not a person will have eternity with God or eternity in the Eternal Lake of fire... It's that serious..

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I'm so thankful for His mercy and grace which covers me each day. May I forget about crossing every t and dotting every i in order to please Him. I could never do enough works to get myself into heaven. Being divorced and remarrying is not the ultimate sin nor is it the "unpardonable" sin.
I fully agree with your views. God want us to have life and have it more abundantly.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Marriage is considered by God as a blessing He has bestowed upon us but He must first be a part of that commitment and I believe He tells us that marriage should be held in high esteem and not to be entered into lightly. However, mistakes can be made and God can be left out of the whole process. Just saying.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Any Un-forgiven transgression of the Law will see the person condemned to eternity in the Lake of Fire.. It matters not if they reject Gods truth in regards to killing or they reject gods truth as in regards to marraige and divorce.. We will not be forgiven sins we refuse to aknowledge as sin.. Thats why i said we must never resist the Message of God..

As long as we are not rebellious against His Word we are covered by His Blood...

And it's not about ""winning an argument"" It's about whether or not a person will have eternity with God or eternity in the Eternal Lake of fire... It's that serious..
I don't understand this post. Jesus said ALL sin except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven.

Why are you changing His pronouncement? Rejecting His Son, the cure for your fatal sin condition, is the blasphemy.

The question always is whether you are born again. If you are, then you are a child of the living God, and His Spirit will reside in you and seal you.

The natural mind always goes to thinking this means we have a license to sin. LET'S GET OUR MINDS OFF OF OUR SIN, AND ONTO JESUS!

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
[for me anyway] yes, for (1 Corinthians 7:28) "But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you." is a continuation of v27 (which you had mentioned) "..Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife." Again [for me anyway] the Spirit of Truth speaking through Paul is telling us that if we cannot be without companionship, then it is better to re-marry than to lust after (from v9) exactly referring to those not married, which must also apply to the divorced. The Spirit however makes it clear that if we re-marry we "shall trouble in the flesh", that is, those things that accompany divorce and re-marriage. Notwithstanding we must needs know that God hates putting away, and our effort must be to always have a heart of reconciliation.

7seasrekeyed

I don't know. I think we're on different wavelengths going the same way! I never said you said what I think you said about what I said! LOL

But I CERTAINLY NEVER said Jesus preached a different Gospel than Paul.

They both taught that salvation was attainable by keeping the WHOLE Law every moment of your life. But they both preach that NO ONE will be saved by keeping the Law because ALL have sinned. Why is that even an arguable point? If you could keep the Law, which we know is impossible except for Jesus, you could attain eternal life without Him.

Hate to use the expression, I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you, but it kinda applies here.
I have never seen you say that either

but people here do

and they know who they are :p :)

you did state you thought Jesus preached salvation by the law as I already pointed out to you in your post 24 and that is what I read and that is what I took you to mean. it seems we both agree that He knew no one can keep the law...we may a bit of different understanding there, but the end result is the same more or less

however, as I said, there are people here believing and posting that Paul had a different gospel and by and large we do not have to take to heart what Jesus said because He was 'under the law'

I find that absolutely reprehensible and actually shocking to make such a statement and having had the pleasure of discussion on that note, one or two became absolutely hostile with me. this was a couple of wks back.

again, to be clear, I have not seen you write that but it does apply to some here

they know who they are and they are not surprised at what I wrote

hope this clears up things

thanks