Can Satan hear our prayers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godschild03

Does it say anywhere in the bible about praying silently? Also I know Satan can hear our prayers if we verbally say them but do you think he hears and uses are prayers against us when we pray silently? Or do you think he is even able to use our prayers against us at all? I've asked this question before and got many different answers...What do you think?

W

wwjd_kilden

I am pretty sure he can hear them. And whether we say them out loud or not should not matter, he is a spiritual being after all, and our prayers are, or should at least be, spiritual.

Let me get back to you on that

A

AtonedFor

No, Satan and his demons definitely cannot read our thoughts, prayers, etc.
However, they definitely can place thoughts (not prayers ... joke) into our minds.

W

wwjd_kilden

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.6 "But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

but not because of the devil, it is because you should be alone with God

W

wwjd_kilden

No, Satan and his demons definitely cannot read our thoughts, prayers, etc.
However, they definitely can place thoughts (not prayers ... joke) into our minds.

Curious: if they cannot read our thoughts, how do they know how to tempt each of us specifically?

L

Laodicea

Only God can read our thoughts
Revelation 2:23
(23) And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Why would it matter? If you are in the light as He is in the Light and you are praying to the Lord, the darkness flees.

The enemy is against you no matter what, whether he hears or does not hear. Doesn't matter.

Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.

Where is your focus? Is it on the Lord Jesus and His mercy and love? Or is it on the enemy and what he will do next? Are you looking towards the light or towards the darkness?

When you are in the presence of the Lord the enemy is getting its butt whipped. Each time you pray out loud is another victory. Each time you pray silently because of fear, what have you done? You have unconsciously submitted to authority of something out of fear. The Lord has not given you a spirit of fear. Here's your shield, your sword, and your helmet, now get in there and start whipping some more butt... Out loud...

Oct 12, 2011
Why would it matter? If you are in the light as He is in the Light and you are praying to the Lord, the darkness flees.

The enemy is against you no matter what, whether he hears or does not hear. Doesn't matter.

Where is your focus? Is it on the Lord Jesus and His mercy and love? Or is it on the enemy and what he will do next? Are you looking towards the light or towards the darkness?

When you are in the presence of the Lord the enemy is getting its butt whipped. Each time you pray out loud is another victory. Each time you pray silently because of fear, what have you done? You have unconsciously submitted to authority of something out of fear. The Lord has not given you a spirit of fear. Here's your shield, your sword, and your helmet, now get in there and start whipping some more butt... Out loud...

Love it, Love it, .......Beautifully Put.....Amen, Amen...........

Blessings

W

wwjd_kilden

^ Agree

The devils nr 1 and 2 task is to create doubt (in Gods word) and fear (of anything)

K

krisbrian

This is pretty much my attitude. I couldn't careless Satan can or cannot read my thoughts. Its not gonna alter how I pray.

How does Satan know our weaknesses? All you have to do is just look at how someone lives or observe them in everyday life and it wont take long to pick up on weaknesses.

However, I think someone who is possessed by evil spirits is a unique case. I think evil spirits can and do get inside peoples heads who are possessed.

A

AnandaHya

Curious: if they cannot read our thoughts, how do they know how to tempt each of us specifically?
they guess by watching our actions and listening to our spoken words. they try and tempt you based on that and often they are wrong in thinking some things would tempt us, especially if we keep ourselves rooted in God's words and His will being guided by the Holy Spirit.

how do the police know where someone will most likely be at a certain time of day?

survelliance over a prolonged period of time reveals a lot about a person's habits. listening to all a person's conversation reveals some of their thoughts and feelings on subjects.

demons and angels watch us all the time but God protects us so why worry?

Ephesians 6:12
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

A

AnandaHya

Does it say anywhere in the bible about praying silently?
can't find it. do you know of any?

Also I know Satan can hear our prayers if we verbally say them but do you think he hears and uses are prayers against us when we pray silently? Or do you think he is even able to use our prayers against us at all? I've asked this question before and got many different answers...What do you think?
It depends on what type of prayers you are having and why.
Are you demanding that God give you things like money and power and worldly desires?

If you are prayer those type of prayers then you might have Satan answering you and tempting you because God says this:

James 4
. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”[c]

M

MaggieMye

OP:Does it say anywhere in the bible about praying silently? No. There is nothing in the Bible about praying silently. Prayer, in the Bible, is always SPOKEN. Also I know Satan can hear our prayers if we verbally say themWrong. He can only hear them IF he is in your presence. He is not omnipotent and is not in all places at once, but can only be in one place at a time. So while he COULD be in your specific presence, I, personally, doubt that you are of enough importance to him to bother with. He uses his demons to do his dirty work. but do you think he hears and uses are prayers against us when we pray silently? /see above; he can't be everywhere at once. Neither can he 'read' our minds so as ot know what we are thinking. Satan and his demons only know if they are effective against us by WATCHING AND LISTENING to what we do and say. IF they put temptation in front of us and we follow through on that temptation, then and only then do they know they have been influential. Or do you think he is even able to use our prayers against us at all?The kingdom of darkness cannot use what is given to God. Our prayers to up to heaven and are collected in golden bowls. They belong to God and Satan does not have access to them. I've asked this question before and got many different answers...What do you think? Based on the Word of God, that is what I KNOW.
Maggie

U

Ugly

Yeah, these guys are around us constantly and able to learn about as from an early age to see what kind of tendencies we have. They also have billions of peoples worth of experience to learn how to read and understand how to tempt and effect people.

Also, the scripture you put really said nothing about satans ability to know, or not know our prayers. It was about not trying to make a show of how spiritual you are by making a show of praying publicly to be seen. :)

W

wwjd_kilden

Ugy: read that post again ;) I said that the second one (about praying silently) does not have to do with satan
but he did ask if the bible says something about praying silently. :)

Oct 12, 2011
Silent prayer is mentioned in Scripture.

1Sa 16:7 And Jehovah saith unto Samuel, `Look not unto his appearance, and unto the height of his stature, for I have rejected him; for it is not as man seeth--for man looketh at the eyes, and Jehovah looketh at the heart.'

1Sa 1:12 And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.
1Sa 1:13 Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.
1Sa 1:14 And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.
1Sa 1:15 And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.
1Sa 1:16 Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.
1Sa 1:17 Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Rom 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

So there is Silent prayer, sometimes we don't even know it, that's how silent it is.

Oct 12, 2011
Ki 8:39 Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart thou knowest; (for thou, even thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men;)

1Sa 27:1 And David said in his heart, I shall now perish one day by the hand of Saul: there is nothing better for me than that I should speedily escape into the land of the Philistines; and Saul shall despair of me, to seek me any more in any coast of Israel: so shall I escape out of his hand.

If you run a search on the phrase "said in his heart" you would be surprised how many times it comes up.

God knows what is in the heart, whether good or evil, to me that is very comforting.