Can the devil put thoughts in your head?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shawny_boy

It just feels as though lately the devil is really trying to bring me down (more-so that usual), ive been having thoughts that aren't my own, and they scare me. Ive been praying about it, but sometimes some squeak in, and i feel as though they are trying to push me away from God by temping me to do sinful things. I dont know if this makes any sense, im not sure how else to word whats going on.

Jan 8, 2009
Yes, the devil can put thoughts into a person's head. Every time it happens, say be gone in the name of Jesus, sing a worship song and pray or something like that. You have to address the demon directly and tell it to go in the name of JEsus and not come back. Preferably also quote some scripture that addresses that particularly evil thought. Ask God to send his angels to keep you safe.

Jun 29, 2009
It just feels as though lately the devil is really trying to bring me down (more-so that usual), ive been having thoughts that aren't my own, and they scare me. Ive been praying about it, but sometimes some squeak in, and i feel as though they are trying to push me away from God by temping me to do sinful things. I dont know if this makes any sense, im not sure how else to word whats going on.
Can you be more precise about the kinds of thoughts? I had been working at a hospital for some time and what you describe is also a symptom for possible schizophrenia. If you can't control your thoughts like someone else is thinking them for you you should definitely go see a doctor. But don't be worried, if you worked at a hospital you only see worst case scenarios later. =)

A

ariannaaa

hey shawn, Mahogony is right, the devil can put thoughts in your head. I think I know exactly what you're talking about and it has happened to me before. Its not a 'voice', its just that you have a thought, and you wonder where it came from.. bc when you think about it logically- it doesn't make sense and it feels like it didn't come from you. If it is what I think it is, its not schizophrenia at all- its just a method that Satan uses to tempt us. He plays on our weaknesses.

The best way to refute this kind of thing is to quote scripture. Jesus shows us this in Matthew 4 when Satan is tempting Him. He refutes every temptation with a verse. The bible also says that Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit [Ephesians 6:17: "...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."], which is why it is so important for us to have scripture in memory.

Shawn I also saw that in another post you were frustrated that you couldn't refrain from some pet sins you have, the fact the Satan is even putting effort into tempting you means that you are still a child of God and Satan is still fighting for you.. He wouldn't fight for you if you weren't valuable to the Kingdom of God. The Lord must have some amazing things planned for you.. so please do not be discouraged by the difficulty of obstaining from certain sins. Just perservere, He will help you, and we'll be praying for you. Good luck :)

A

aprodigal1

I don' t believe Satan has access to any believers mind to put any thought within it unless God would allow it first. I realize James tells us that God can not be tempted by evil nor does He tempt anybody with evil. When we are saved we are His and sealed with the H.S.

Satan is still a created being or fallen angel with the same restrictions all other demons and angels possess. In all biblical accounts where angels or demons speak to people, it is in a audible voice, not through ESP. Demons and angels are NOT omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent.

1John 4:4
4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

One more point is in Daniel chapter 2. Nebuchadnezzar’s dream. He was about to kill his wise men for not being able to interpret or reveal his dream to him. I believe if Satan had this ability, the wise men could of came through for Nebuchadnezzar leaving Daniel out of the picture and also saving their own necks before Daniel stepped in to save them by interpreting Nebuchadnezzar’s dream.

The issue of having some out of place thoughts belongs to our own sinful and fallen nature. Don't forget he Spirit and the flesh are warring against one another:

Romans 7:21-23
21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Last edited:
S

shawny_boy

Can you be more precise about the kinds of thoughts? I had been working at a hospital for some time and what you describe is also a symptom for possible schizophrenia. If you can't control your thoughts like someone else is thinking them for you you should definitely go see a doctor. But don't be worried, if you worked at a hospital you only see worst case scenarios later. =)

haha, no its nothing like that. I dont wanna be too specific, but its not that :p

He plays on our weaknesses.
Thats exactly what these thoughts are, they play off my weeknesses. Things im trying to overcome, but its like i take 2 steps forward, then these thoughts pop into my head and i take one step back..

A

andrew4

Hey Shawn. I hope I can give a few words that may strengthen you. First, do not look at the devil as being linked with your struggle. You must believe me when I say that thinking the devil is involved will only put you in an uphill mental battle. Thinking that these thoughts your having is part of a battle will only put more pressure on yourself and remind you of sins, which in turn will further tempt you. Remember the words of our Lord, "get thee behind me Satan." This is not something you should repeat when you feel your in a struggle (because it will remind you of him as an adversary), but it should help take him out of your mind. When you gaze at him, he will gaze right back at you; so try to put your gaze on our Lord. Only look at God and his angels. Its a lot easier to run a marathon when your not constantly looking over your shoulder. I am thoroughly confident that your struggles and temptations will begin to decrease once you stop remembering the devil (he can only be as powerful as we allow him to be). So, that's number one, forget the devil and if you sin or have thoughts, do not think it was from him but from within. Second, read Matthew chapter 5, let the gravity of sin sink in. From what I read in that chapter, true repentance will be evidenced by fruits of repentance(and that sin is a matter of eternal life and death). I don't believe it is enough to be sorry without a firm resolution to make adjustments. Finally, STOP looking at yourself as a sinner. It only leads to self-fulfilling prophecy. The only time you should feel like a sinner is when you sin and repent afterwords. Once you have been forgiven, look at yourself as perfect, a saint (remember, humility is part of perfection so this isn't about false self-righteousness or boastfulness). I posted a thread titled "how to be perfect" which may help. I guarantee if you do these things, not only sin, but temptations as well, will decrease dramatically. If you ever need any advice, let me know.
Your Brother in Christ

A

aprodigal1

Thats exactly what these thoughts are, they play off my weeknesses. Things im trying to overcome, but its like i take 2 steps forward, then these thoughts pop into my head and i take one step back..
That's why the bible gives us so many scriptures about what to meditate on or what to think about:

Col. 3:2
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Phil: 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Psalms 94:11
The Lord knows the thoughts of manand that they are futile.

1 Tim 4:13-15
13 Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14 Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the eldership. 15 Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.

Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

BLU

Banned
Jul 26, 2009
haha, no its nothing like that. I dont wanna be too specific, but its not that :p

Two things i remember, he flesh is always wanting to sin; therefore, we must deny it. And somewhere it says not to give satan and reason to take advantage of us.
Third; (2Cor 12:7) And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

My own personal belief is that since Satan and world and the church are become one these last days. the world of satan tries to bring you back into bondage because he knows his time is short, it is spite work against God, you must endure until the end.

M

mcap

I can understand perfectly,the same thing is happening to me.I don't think a doctor is necessary,just pray to God and demand evil to be gone.God will allow Satan a certain amount of slack,he is not allowed to go any farther.Don't forget that God loves you and that you are His child. God bless

C

carpetmanswife

I certainly believe satan can put thoughts in our head, but its like my pastor says
" we cant stop birds from flying over our heads but we can surely keep them from building a nest there" ...just like our thoughts .....2 corinthians 10:3-5. i need to read this one more often myself.

M

MaggieMye

Yes. Demons whisper in our spiritual ears...even our physical ears. They tell us strange things, things we want to hear (so they can become our 'friends', and things we don't want to hear, so we become fearful. The TRICK is to know the word of God SO WELL that you can discern whether or not what you are thinking/hearing is from God or your enemy. Study and learn about the blood of Jesus and apply it to your life, DAILY. Two books of the same title, one by Whyte and one by Chavda will be very helpful for you. "The Power of the Blood". You need to learn about the Blood that Jesus shed for YOU so you can better understand your authority over your spiritual enemies...including all kinds of illness.
On your behalf, I renounce all words typed or spoken over you that even suggest mental illness, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Father God, I ask that you bless this young man with ears to hear only YOUR voice. Pour your Godly wisdom, discernment and spiritual undertanding into him, your capacity to love and strength to do Your will, in Jesus name... AMEN !
Maggie

S

shawny_boy

Thanks alot guys, you were all very helpful. Ill keep everything you guys said in mind, God bless :)

May 21, 2009
shawny-boy, did things settle down?

Status
Not open for further replies.