Can we pray Mary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
Bog,

read your Bible son, for yourself and you will learn everything that you will ever need
to know the answer to, if your heart is purely reaching for your Creator,
but oh yes, young one, it takes a special Heart and Love for our Master, Saviour, Jesus Christ,
to seek/pursue His way of life...when He calls us, His call can not be mistaken!...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2016
Are there actually any Catholics or Orthodox Christians here? I would like to discuss with one regarding icons, saints and asking for Mary to pray for you. This is strange to me coming from a protestant background due to:

1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

To me this narrows the amount of intercessors to one, and that is Jesus Christ. What say ye?

I would like to discuss in a good spirit, no nasty attitude or nothing, just exchanging thoughts, I know some orthodox christians from Ethiopia who are no doubt God's people, it is an interesting way of worship. But I am just too used to my protestant ways I guess.
Hey Bog,

Oldthenew gave you some good advice.

Now, if you want to discuss Catholicism, I can do that with you.

I know Catholic doctrine well because I've taught it to adults and children.
I'm not Catholic (grew up Catholic) but I have love for all my brothers in Christ.

So, it's up to you.
I'm willing. Know why? There are many misconceptions on either side of the isle !

Fran

Jul 9, 2017
NoNameMcgee wrote,
'
please....
dont take away from the word

or remove the context
It would be wrong to take it out of context.

would you like to talk about each and every one of these verses in relation to praying TO a dead human?
If you want. I would also like to make mention that I will not be able to get back to this thread, in a timely manner, since I have started back to work.

Jul 9, 2017
Magenta wrote,
Who said He tried to dishonor her? I said He contradicted a woman who claimed Mary was blessed for having borne and nursed Jesus. Did you read that?
Yes. He was making a point.

Neither husband nor wife is to withhold themselves from the other. Have you not read the Bible?
I have but is it possible that the Blessed Mother may have taken a vow of virginity? That would make sense given that she said, "How can this be since I do not know man."(Luke 1:34)

Jul 9, 2017
Magenta wrote,

Sorry, I am not interested in Catholic apologist lies to rationalize their heresies
So you do not want to listen to what someone else says? What happens if you are wrong in your reasoning?

Jesus had brothers and sisters and the RCC denies it.
Yes. We do deny that He had biological brothers and sisters. We support this by Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

Jesus did not elevate Mary but the RCC does.
The very fact that God became incarnate through the Blessed Mother is an elevation that cannot be compared to any honor that the Catholic Church can bestow upon her.

Jesus told us to pray to the Father while the RCC tells you to pray to Mary.
You do not have to pray to Mary. The Catholic Church teaches that you can go directly to Jesus. In fact, when we do pray to the Blessed Mother she is the one who presents those prayer to her Son since He is the Mediator between us and the Father.

The RCC forces Catholics to believe that Mary never died and that she was bodily assumed to heaven and worse that she was born without the stain of original sin from Adam so that Jesus could be born sinless,
A lot to unpackage there.

1. Catholics are free to believe that she died or did not die.
2. Catholics do believe that she was assumed and, through the grace of God, was born without original sin.
3. This can be substantiated through Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

Jul 9, 2017
Cyberman,
I owe you a reply but I CAN'T REMEMBER THE THREAD!

Can't think of anything specific I wanted to say.

I'm sorry. I hate how we don't get personal alerts.

Sorry.
Fran

I understand.

Jul 9, 2017

Why pray to anyone but God? He is our source. Christ became our high priest so we no longer have to go through anyone else. We can go to the throne room of God,why pray to anyone else but the One who hears and answers prayer?
If that is the case then why ask anyone to pray for you? The Scripture not only does not condemn it but encourages it.

Jul 9, 2017
man.... i went through all of these...

please give a scripture in reference to praying to anyone other than God

plus i dont know what bible you read

mine is much different

heres my rev 5 8 for example

Revelation 5:8

8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
Let's take a look at the verse that you made reference to. it says that the "prayers of the saints" are presented to the Lamb. The question is, how do the saints know what to pray for if they are not told? Who tells them?

Jul 9, 2017
You say you are of no denomination.
This is fine and not why I'm writing.

But I find it interesting how you arrived at believing that praying to the dead is biblical WITHOUT having a pre-conceived notion.

Here's why:

There are some things we know which we have to learn from theology and will not learn from reading the bible.

For instance...
The sacrament of Baptism is very simple in the bible, but we've made a rather complicated sacrament out of it.

The Trinity cannot be gleaned from just reading the bible --- it's a concept that had to be understood by theologians studying the bible.

Can we understand Jesus to be God from reading scripture, or do we believe this because we've already been told this?

So, I'm just wondering HOW do you come to the conclusion that we could pray to Mary, for instance?
I know you posted many verses, but that won't answer my question because you would have had to be already LOOKING for those verses and already have the idea in your mind.

If you don't answer, that's fine. Just wondering...
Yes. It is preconceived since I believe what the Church teaches. I hope that I have answered your question.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
The answer is pray to whomever you please if you don't think praying to God is enough. your faults and sins are your own. We are not our brother's keeper,because we cannot live for each other.We all do what we think is right as individuals. A lot of people criticize others when telling them the truth.,doing what they believe is right anyway.

Jul 9, 2017
mystic7 wrote,

Overheard two young boys sharing the gospel. One talked about Jesus dying on the cross to save us from sin, how much he loved us, Then he stated to his cousin (catholic), one day at his house, he picked up an idol of Mary, after turning it upside down, the label read “made in China”
He told his cousin, Jesus is from heaven, pray to Jesus.
That would be a non sequitur. What happens if they had a statue of Our Lord and underneath it it said, "Made in China"? Does that mean that Our Lord is not from Heaven but rather China?

The scriptures state: John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.John 14:14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
And the reason being: Philippians 2:6-11 who, existing in the form of God, didn't consider it robbery to be equal with God, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, yes, the death of the cross. Therefore God also highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name; that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Amen!! 100% Catholic belief.

Jul 9, 2017
The answer is pray to whomever you please if you don't think praying to God is enough. your faults and sins are your own. We are not our brother's keeper,because we cannot live for each other.We all do what we think is right as individuals. A lot of people criticize others when telling them the truth.,doing what they believe is right anyway.
I never said that praying to God is not enough. If one asks for prayers, from those in Heaven, then how can that be wrong?

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
Like I said, do as you please, God will show you the right way. why trust man to tell and answer your question.?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Magenta wrote,

So you do not want to listen to what someone else says? What happens if you are wrong in your reasoning?

Yes. We do deny that He had biological brothers and sisters. We support this by Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

The very fact that God became incarnate through the Blessed Mother is an elevation that cannot be compared to any honor that the Catholic Church can bestow upon her.

You do not have to pray to Mary. The Catholic Church teaches that you can go directly to Jesus. In fact, when we do pray to the Blessed Mother she is the one who presents those prayer to her Son since He is the Mediator between us and the Father.

A lot to unpackage there.

1. Catholics are free to believe that she died or did not die.
2. Catholics do believe that she was assumed and, through the grace of God, was born without original sin.
3. This can be substantiated through Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.
I'm sorry, but it is simple ignorance to say Jesus didn't have half brothers. There are MANY passages that PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that Mary did not stay, NOR HAD TO, a virgin her whole life, and had other children.

Here is a CRYSTAL clear verse about Jesus' SIBLINGS:

Matthew 13 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And ​HIS BROTHERS, James, Joses,[h] Simon, and Judas? 56 And HIS SISTERS, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?”

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
This scripture has been posted thousands of times, and people still ask the same question. Romans;1;24 and 25. read the first chapter of the book of Romans,and this should answer your question. This is Paul writing to the true believers about the catholic church in Rome.

Jul 9, 2017
I'm sorry, but it is simple ignorance to say Jesus didn't have half brothers. There are MANY passages that PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that Mary did not stay, NOR HAD TO, a virgin her whole life, and had other children.

Here is a CRYSTAL clear verse about Jesus' SIBLINGS:

Matthew 13 55 Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary? And ​HIS BROTHERS, James, Joses,[h] Simon, and Judas? 56 And HIS SISTERS, are they not all with us? Where then did this Man get all these things?”
But you also have to take into consideration the lexicon of the 1st Century Jew and the fact that they did not have a word for "Cousin" in their vocabulary. Here is an explanation of who those "brothers" are of Our Lord,
Did Jesus have "blood" brothers and sisters? - Catholic Straight Answers

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
that is not praying to you, but praying for you to God.

Jul 9, 2017
This scripture has been posted thousands of times, and people still ask the same question. Romans;1;24 and 25. read the first chapter of the book of Romans,and this should answer your question. This is Paul writing to the true believers about the catholic church in Rome.
How do you know that he is referencing the Catholic Church?