Can't stop singing...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hello. This is a kind of will you help me thread, coz there are times i find myself just wanting to sing when it is Not time to sing. I know there are countless times we are encouraged to sing in the Bible.. but there is also a time for everything. When i wake up in the middle of the night or very early at least, lines of a song come to mind and sometimes i do sing a line or verse.. then stop. When working on something, yes, it is not prohibited to sing, so i go abt either listening or joining in to something playing, or i try to find time to play (an instrument) myself, wc is not always possible to squeeze in in a day. But when i cannot play, say the piano or other, i feel rather tense. I welcome the church practice session for the worship service, but wc is only once a week.

Like yest., i woke up a bit tense (there was really something bothering me), but i so wanted to be able to do something, as sing w/ others or play. I realize ive used music therapeutically thru the yrs, esp instrumental music, and the Lord has in fact shown thru the yrs that while it is good and not to be used as an idol, it can be put into good use in various ways. Not that the people at home do not appreciate music, but i must respect study time, rest time, etc. They can sing too, but not the way i have lyrics and melodies in my head.. And as some know, i am not the very bold type of person to be playing even before many (extended) family or strangers, altho i can and do play at church sometimes. This may seem funny to some folks in fact, but at the same time, it weighs on me, coz where i live, there arent very many opportunities to work on a musical setting, and i do not compose or write lyrics, btw. Any thoughts? thanks!

T

Tinuviel

Hello. This is a kind of will you help me thread, coz there are times i find myself just wanting to sing when it is Not time to sing. I know there are countless times we are encouraged to sing in the Bible.. but there is also a time for everything. When i wake up in the middle of the night or very early at least, lines of a song come to mind and sometimes i do sing a line or verse.. then stop. When working on something, yes, it is not prohibited to sing, so i go abt either listening or joining in to something playing, or i try to find time to play (an instrument) myself, wc is not always possible to squeeze in in a day. But when i cannot play, say the piano or other, i feel rather tense. I welcome the church practice session for the worship service, but wc is only once a week.

Like yest., i woke up a bit tense (there was really something bothering me), but i so wanted to be able to do something, as sing w/ others or play. I realize ive used music therapeutically thru the yrs, esp instrumental music, and the Lord has in fact shown thru the yrs that while it is good and not to be used as an idol, it can be put into good use in various ways. Not that the people at home do not appreciate music, but i must respect study time, rest time, etc. They can sing too, but not the way i have lyrics and melodies in my head.. And as some know, i am not the very bold type of person to be playing even before many (extended) family or strangers, altho i can and do play at church sometimes. This may seem funny to some folks in fact, but at the same time, it weighs on me, coz where i live, there arent very many opportunities to work on a musical setting, and i do not compose or write lyrics, btw. Any thoughts? thanks!
Does LISTENING to music help? If so, headphones are your friend :).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thank you... you've always been very helpful. I did think of that, but recalling when i was first trying headphones as a teen, it wasnt very comfortable with stuff plugged in ears, going around the place. It is fun to be listening, but i also have to move about. I was reading some psalms today, and discovered in a few, there was reference to singing/song to the Lord 12x already. I'm sure the Lord loves to hear our praises, but we cannot go out and around singing Hallelujah all the time, nor will it encourage others and think us too holy, wc is not what God wants.

Wish i could post some verses in a little while, but another time-to-go moment. Will see u again.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Ephesians 5:17-21. I love singing and playing guitar. Like you, I think of others. Verse 19 speaks of singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. I do that, and can actually hear the words and music in my head, and this gives me great joy and comfort.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thanks, didimous. I do love that passage:

Ephesians 5:17-19 (NKJV)

17 Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord,

I said i will post some verses i went thru going thru Psalm 61-70 of David, where there were more than a dozen verses: (I was reading NIV, but getting verses from NKJV, where some words translated as sing/songs of joy are written as praise, rejoice as in 63.5, 7... except for 68.6 where i put NIV.

61.8 So I will sing praise to Your name forever,
That I may daily perform my vows.

63.5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness,
And my mouth shall praise You with joyful lips.

63.7 Because You have been my help,
Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.

65. 8 They also who dwell in the farthest parts are afraid of Your signs;
You make the outgoings of the morning and evening rejoice.

65. 13 The pastures are clothed with flocks;
The valleys also are covered with grain;
They shout for joy, they also sing.

66. 2 Sing out the honor of His name;
Make His praise glorious.

66. 4 All the earth shall worship You
And sing praises to You;
They shall sing praises to Your name.”

67. 4 Oh, let the nations be glad and sing for joy!
For You shall judge the people righteously,
And govern the nations on earth.

68. 4 Sing to God, sing praises to His name;
Extol Him who rides on the clouds,[a]
By His name YAH,
And rejoice before Him.

68. 6 God sets the lonely in families,[c]
he leads out the prisoners with singing;
but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. (NIV)

68. 24-5 They have seen Your procession, O God,
The procession of my God, my King, into the sanctuary.

The singers went before, the players on instruments followed after;
Among them were the maidens playing timbrels.

68. 32 Sing to God, you kingdoms of the earth;
Oh, sing praises to the Lord,

69.30 I will praise the name of God with a song,
And will magnify Him with thanksgiving.

Btw, do u know i am pushed to be more aggressive in this area of worshiping God, although our lives as a living sacrifice is more important, we know.. as one time we were spending some time at the grounds at the university, when a group of happy people were gathered on the grass, singing aloud w/ guitars. Then i realized they were singing something else to someone else, krishna actually. It made me think, why should they be able to sing freely, lustily to a god, when we who know the living God are afraid or shy to do so? Why indeed should we be?

Last edited:

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
This fits right here!
[video=youtube;5uc1smOOs7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uc1smOOs7A[/video]

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
And this:
[video=youtube;Posm2IRg3o8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Posm2IRg3o8[/video]

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Psalm 71 22 Also with the lute I will praise you -- [And] Your faithfulness, O my God! To You I will sing with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
23 My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing to You, And my soul, which You have redeemed.

75 9 But I will declare forever, I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.

77 6 I call to remembrance my song in the night; I meditate within my heart, And my spirit makes
diligent search.

Btw, as I was reading Psa 80, I read after the title, For the director of music. To the tune of “The Lilies of the Covenant,” Of Asaph… And was wondering what that tune was. Does anyone know?