Career Choices...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lad

Hi,

Sooo im currently 17, and for 6 or so months now ive wanted to be a psychologist and study in Palmy at Massey University (granted many of you wont know where that is just bear with me :D). However when talking about spiritual gifts and also while having a conversation about my future in the past, ive been told i would make a great preacher. Now i have no idea what to do, because what if this is God telling me what He wants me to do? or is there even a difference between our career desires and Gods? In other words how do I know my spiritual gift? and how do i know whether its god, satan, or just men telling me what to be?

D

doubleedge

YES!!! HELP US!!! I'm going through the same thing right now.

Jan 8, 2009
"ive been told i would make a great preacher"
I'd take that sort of advice with a grain of salt, they say that to everyone. Because most people can't see past a) preaching, b) worship musician, c) youth pastor, d) worship leader etc.. get the picture? It's so boring and unoriginal. God didn't make people just to be preachers, and worship leaders. I don't see a difference between our career desires and God's if we are open and honest to God about them - follow your heart, and if that's in psychology then do that. The only reason you should become a preacher is if that is in your heart to do that - not what others tell you what they think you are or are not good at. You can preach without becoming a preacher as a career. Jesus was a carpenter, Peter was a fisherman, Paul was a tent maker.. and you might be a psychologist, get the picture?

Last edited:
S

suaso

It might be good to be a psychologist. Most of the psychologist I have ever met have been rather skeptical of religion, so to have a Christian psychologist is a good thing. You could practice your trade and keep in mind your faith when dealing with Christian patients.

People don't talk about vocation a whole lot these days. I tend to only hear the word in more traditional Catholic circles, but it is a word that applies to all people. A vocation is your calling in life. We are all called to holiness. Our vocation is how we move to it. You may help many more people as a psychologist than as a preacher. Sure, you could probably speak to many more as a preacher, but it might not be as effective in promoting inner conversion as if you were to help people one-on-one. Like snail says, there are oodles of preachers out there already, but I am willing to bet there are not so many Christian psychologists.

Folks go to church to worship God, to praise God, to fellowship, to have something to do, or to pray for help. People always go to psychologists because they have some problem they need help with. My point is, you know all your patients need something specific to be helped with. As a preacher, you have many people in one room with a variety of reasons for being at church that you will have to be able to cater to at once without being too specific in your message to exclude some.

Also, it is your future. Others cannot make it for you. All vocations come from God. Where do you believe God is calling you to be?

L

Lad

Well thats just the thing, is God calling me through others, or does he call through desires?

Jan 8, 2009
Ideally God would call through both, but your desires must come first over other people's opinions, including your own family's.

I

iraasuup

I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest.

Don't over-analyse things, you'll just drive yourself nuts.

I am 27 and till trying to work out what I want to do with my life. I have tried many things, and am constantly discovering new passions and desires. So don't sweat the small stuff.

Just make the best decision you can based on the information you have at hand. God will always find a way to use you. He is God, who are we to doubt him?

J

Jenny87

Or maybe you could be both. Preach and mention a few bible verses to help out your future psychology patients. :)

J

Jordan9

Oh my I hate that question, "What are you gonna do with your life?" Haha :p

Jan 8, 2009
Surveys can get you to know about your talents and natural abilities but not necessarily spiritual gifts. If you're doing "What comes naturally" as the website says, that is a natural gift. When God gifts you with a spiritual gift, you are enabled to do something you can't do of yourself. You might be hopeless at preaching, but when the Spirit enables you to preach you can preach like , I don't know, Spurgeon or some other great preachers. That's why surveys are useless with spiritual gifts because surveys cannot predict God. I think it has confused a natural gift which is used for spiritual purposes, with an actual spiritual gift given and empowered by the Holy Spirit.

And that one is messed up in what it calls spiritual gifts. I wouldn't call evangelism a spiritual gift it's a duty for every christian. Same with missions and service. You don't need a spiritual gift to tell someone about Christ or to help in missions or serve, every christian should have a desire to do those things. The survey has referenced 1 Cor 12 but has deliberately neglected tongues, working of miracles, discerning of spirits etc...probably because it's Church of Christ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.