carnal christian? or not really born again?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erika83

Dec 17, 2008
You have to look in the Bible for examples:

King David when he was involved in adulterous affair with Bathsheba didn't look or act Christ-like
David when he had Uriah the Hittite killed didn't look or act Christ-like

In 2 Peter 1:9 the Bible says that a person can be blind and cannot see afar off and has forgotten
that he was once purged from their sin.

So yes, a person who is saved, can act and look carnally.

Paul told the Corinthian church, I cannot talk to you of the spiritual,because you are yet carnal,
envy and divisions among them, (1 Corinthians 3)
Good example, I have been thinking about David as well, that he was not acting Christ-like for a period of time, but then I remembered that he lived under a different era. I think the Holy Spirit indwells and works in a more powerful way in believers today (after Pentecost) than He did in the OT. The Holy Spirit didn't indwell in OT saints permenantly, the way He does in us.

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
Good example, I have been thinking about David as well, that he was not acting Christ-like for a period of time, but then I remembered that he lived under a different era. I think the Holy Spirit indwells and works in a more powerful way in believers today (after Pentecost) than He did in the OT. The Holy Spirit didn't indwell in OT saints permenantly, the way He does in us.
Could you give some bible verses to back that up? I'm not saying your wrong but why are the stories of the old saints there if we couldn't use them as a reference.

erika83

Dec 17, 2008
Could you give some bible verses to back that up? I'm not saying your wrong but why are the stories of the old saints there if we couldn't use them as a reference.
"But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him."
1 Sam 16:14

"Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me." Psalm 51:11

"Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" John 16:7

G

greatkraw

It is always a problem when we don't deal with specifics. It is also dangerous to judge.

I know people who would consider me unsaved if I.....

Watch TV, go to the movies, dont use the KJV, sing hymns with musical instruments, sin even once, do not submit to their authority, do not hold to TULIP, do not keep the Sabbath, eat meat

...or just fellowship with someone who does these things

Romans 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

May 21, 2009
People have to be taught. Most churches I've seen aren't really trying to teach people after they have been saved. Ususally they are trying to make the person feel quilty that they are not perfect. The Holy Spirit helps the person but the person has to be helped and guided by the church. Yes some go on and do what ever they want after they have been taught. Sometimes they have to learn the hard way before they come around.

erika83

Dec 17, 2008
It is always a problem when we don't deal with specifics. It is also dangerous to judge.

I know people who would consider me unsaved if I.....

Watch TV, go to the movies, dont use the KJV, sing hymns with musical instruments, sin even once, do not submit to their authority, do not hold to TULIP, do not keep the Sabbath, eat meat

...or just fellowship with someone who does these things

Romans 14:4
Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
I would never consider someone unsaved for the things you listed above. I agree that we are not supposed to judge, but I'm talking about discernment.

May 21, 2009
I really dislike the term "carnal Christian" You're either a Christian or you're not, someone who's living to satisfy the flesh cannot also be living by the Spirit. We are commanded to be different from the world. If we live just like non-Christians do, what example will those who are not saved see in us?

Thats a cute picture and a cute name. I like!

May 21, 2009
Sorry this didn't pop up in the right place. There was a picture of chalk hearts and linalinalina.

May 21, 2009
People don't always know they are doing things wrong unless they are taught. Like all the time here on the chat you see young people wanting to know why they shouldn't cuss. Some people everywhere they are people say the f word for fustration. So people think that is a normal way to talk. Thank God in some families cussing isn't the norm. We have to remember everyone isn't at the same level as the next person on what they have learned on following God. Like TV. Some of us are at a place where we can't watch all kinds of things on TV because we know it is wrong. Some people said yes to God, that they believe in God but many don't know God at all yet. They are on a journey in their life like we all are. I myself am always trying to learn more and more of God and spend many hours everyday trying to learn, but the ones who aren't where I am at God loves us each the same. We have to love people no matter where they are in their walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.