Carry your cross, follow Jesus, die to self -- for eternal life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 10, 2015
All Scriptures below are from the NKJV …

Mark 8:34-37
“Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and
the gospel’s (sake) will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world,
and loses his own soul? (**) Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

(**) “and is himself destroyed or lost” – see Luke 9:25 below
“he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” – see John 12:25 below

“There is only one kind of true Christian; that is, a disciple … “You must deny yourself.” That means
that to follow Christ a person must give up his own desires and live only according to Christ’s desire.
We must deny our own pleasure, our own advantage, our own comfort … after we become Christians,
we must live completely for God … we must be ready to suffer and die for Him. Suffering and persecution will come to all who follow Christ (John 15:19, 2 Timothy 3:12). There can be no crown without the cross. … Whoever denies Christ in order to save his life (his life in this world, his pleasures, his pride, his honor and reputation, his possessions, his physical life) will lose his life (his true life, spiritual life, eternal life). But, whoever loses his life for Christ (that is, his life in this world, his pride, his honor, his possessions, his physical life itself) will save his life; he will obtain true spiritual life, eternal life. To lose one’s life for Christ and the Gospel means to deny one’s self and take up (one’s) cross and follow Jesus.”
… The Applied New Testament Commentary – Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing
(Dr. Hale is a Spirit-filled believer who served as a medical missionary with Interserve in Nepal.)

Matthew 10:38-39
“And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.”

Matthew 16:24-26
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

Luke 9:23-25
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost?”

Luke 14:26-27,33
“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children,
brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.
And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.
… whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.”

John 12:25-26
“He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.”

“But we all must ‘die’ to ourselves. Our old sinful self must die, otherwise we shall not be able to bear
fruit for Christ (Mark 8:34-35, Romans 6:2-6, Galatians 5:24) … Jesus didn’t mean we must actually
‘hate’ ourselves. Rather He was saying that our love for Him must be so great that, in comparison,
our love for ourselves will seem like hate (Luke 14:26). Indeed, we cannot love our old sinful self
and Christ at the same time (Matthew 6:24).”
… The Applied New Testament Commentary – Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing

The cross was the Roman method of carrying out the death sentence.
The prisoner was made to carry his own cross to the place of execution.
A Christian is called to carry his cross daily while dying to self – to receive eternal life
(reference: the NT).

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
In my view when I became saved I lost nothing because at that point my life and everything I owned was trash in my eyes, in coming to Christ I lost nothing but gained everything. Losing ones self is an ongoing process in fact it's normal for a believer to have been saved 40 years and yet still is losing himself and some are more keen to being humble and about others far before themselves than others we all have strengths and weaknesses.

But there is one thing for sure God has to be first and number in our lives and hearts. For some faith is a way of living or a hobby for others it's a fiery passion

Nov 22, 2015
How can we die to our self if we have already died in Christ on the cross with Him? How many times did Christ die on the cross? In like manner we too have died with Christ. Romans 6:5

Religion actually has that backwards - we need to live to our true selves in Christ now because we have been raised from the dead.

"For we have died and our life is hidden with Christ in God now". Col.3:3

Luke 9:22-25 Take up your cross daily and follow Me. ( Some manuscripts do not have "daily" in Luke 9 as it is also not in Matthew's account ) In context Jesus is talking about going to the Cross and being raised up (Luke 9:22 ).

How do we follow Jesus? What was He really saying to His disciples at the time? We too need to "follow Jesus" to the cross because we need to die and to be raised up with Him to newness of life.

We lost our life when we received Christ when we heard the message of Christ. If we just preached what happened to the believer when he came to Christ and that we became a new creation in Him - that would stop a lot of religious striving and than allow the grace of God to transforms us outwardly and renew our minds to reflect who we truly are now in Christ.

Galatians 2:20 (KJV)
[SUP]20 [/SUP] I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I am crucified with Christ =
in the Greek is the perfect tense - passive voice construction.

perfect = The perfect tense in Greek is used to describe a completed past action which produced results which are still in effect all the way up to the present time. It is continuously happening in the present.

passive = voice =
action is happening to you....you are not doing it

Without a doubt this verse says that we have died with Christ from a past action that remains in a continuous completed state and that was put on us....not something we did.

Now we reckon ourselves to be dead to sin and alive to God. In other words - agree with what the finished work of Christ has done for us.

Romans 6:6 (NASB)
[SUP]6 [/SUP] knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;

If we would preach and teach about what happened to us in Christ now that we are a new creation - then His life would shine form and reflect the grace and love of Christ in us to a hurt and dying world. As we behold the glory/goodness of the Lord - we are transformed by the Holy Spirit.

Preach Christ and Him crucified because in that - we too were crucified with Him. We need our minds renewed to the truths of the real gospel of the grace of Christ so that we can grow up in Him.

Last edited:

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Ro 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

Do not allow your dead body flesh have it's desire but yield to the Holy Spirit. Every believer's objective and daily burden.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Oct 10, 2015
Losing ones self is an ongoing process
Has co-operating with this process maintained you salvation,
or have you been doing it just for rewards,
or have you been doing it because you love Jesus,
or has it been a combo of some of the above?

F

FreeNChrist

In my view when I became saved I lost nothing because at that point my life and everything I owned was trash in my eyes, in coming to Christ I lost nothing but gained everything. Losing ones self is an ongoing process in fact it's normal for a believer to have been saved 40 years and yet still is losing himself and some are more keen to being humble and about others far before themselves than others we all have strengths and weaknesses.

But there is one thing for sure God has to be first and number in our lives and hearts. For some faith is a way of living or a hobby for others it's a fiery passion
You don't want to lose yourself, and God doesnt want you to either. We gain Christ, we do not lose ourselves.

F

FreeNChrist

“Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and
the gospel’s (sake) will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world,

“he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life” – see John 12:25 below

“There is only one kind of true Christian; that is, a disciple … “You must deny yourself.” That means
that to follow Christ a person must give up his own desires and live only according to Christ’s desire.
We must deny our own pleasure, our own advantage, our own comfort … after we become Christians,
we must live completely for God … we must be ready to suffer and die for Him. Suffering and persecution will come to all who follow Christ (John 15:19, 2 Timothy 3:12). There can be no crown without the cross. … Whoever denies Christ in order to save his life (his life in this world, his pleasures, his pride, his honor and reputation, his possessions, his physical life) will lose his life (his true life, spiritual life, eternal life). But, whoever loses his life for Christ (that is, his life in this world, his pride, his honor, his possessions, his physical life itself) will save his life; he will obtain true spiritual life, eternal life. To lose one’s life for Christ and the Gospel means to deny one’s self and take up (one’s) cross and follow Jesus.”
(Dr. Hale is a Spirit-filled believer who served as a medical missionary with Interserve in Nepal.)

He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.”

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?”

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross DAILY, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost?”

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children,

“He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.”

“But we all must ‘die’ to ourselves. Our old sinful self must die, otherwise we shall not be able to bear
fruit for Christ (Mark 8:34-35, Romans 6:2-6, Galatians 5:24) … Jesus didn’t mean we must actually
‘hate’ ourselves. Rather He was saying that our love for Him must be so great that, in comparison,
our love for ourselves will seem like hate (Luke 14:26). Indeed, we cannot love our old sinful self

A Christian is called to carry his cross daily while dying to self – to receive eternal life
Be careful the "self" you die to isn't the self Christ has made of you.

P

Persuaded

I do not have to "maintain" my salvation, I am kept by the one who saved me.
I strive daily to serve my Lord and Savior.
Some times I fail, sometimes I succeed.
But regardless of my success or failure my salvation is secure in Jesus.
I working/striving is because I am saved not to keep me saved.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I see no reason to (maintain) my salvation by works I don't do this for my salvation I do it because of my salvation. I do it for rewards but the rewards I seek is to know more of him and I also do it because I love but I do it even more so because I truly admire and adore who he is everything about him fascinates me and I want to be just like him because of how much he baffles me simply because of who he is.

His way of seeing his way of thinking his way of being every detail about who he is amazes and fascinates me and so I very much want to be just like him in that way. This is why everyday I continue to try to lose myself so I can gain him

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
You don't want to lose yourself, and God doesnt want you to either. We gain Christ, we do not lose ourselves.
I want to lose the fleshly Blain not the one who is in Christ. I have seen the Blain of the flesh even as a Christian but when I see the Blain who is in Christ it's a completely different person as if he and Blain somehow become one being. I suppose this is why when I look in the Mirror I don't recognize the face looking back at me it's as if I am looking into the eyes of a total stranger, I seem to be in the process of finally seeing knowing and being the Blain that god wants me to see instead of the one I see

F

FreeNChrist

I want to lose the fleshly Blain not the one who is in Christ. I have seen the Blain of the flesh even as a Christian but when I see the Blain who is in Christ it's a completely different person as if he and Blain somehow become one being. I suppose this is why when I look in the Mirror I don't recognize the face looking back at me it's as if I am looking into the eyes of a total stranger, I seem to be in the process of finally seeing knowing and being the Blain that god wants me to see instead of the one I see
When you do, please come back and tell me how you did it, deal?

Jan 7, 2015
Re: Carry your cross, follow Jesus, die to self -- for eternal life

Romans 12:1
“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.” Doing the Fathers will requires us to make sacrifices in our daily lives, denying ourselves and the lusts of the flesh are also a part of making “daily sacrifices.”

Jesus said in
Luke 9:23 “And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” Even Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:31 “I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.” This is the sign of the daily sacrifice, a similitude of which is shown in the Old Testament with many animal sacrifices. This is not saying we ourselves can be a sacrifice for the remission of our own sins, for it is only in Jesus Christs offering of Himself we have “one sacrifice for all.”

But never the less, we are told to become a living sacrifice and be holy, and to take up our crosses daily. But many say we cannot be holy, or we cannot be perfect, or we cannot be spotless and without the blemish of
sin. Even though the Lord said to be perfect and to be holy, as He also is Holy.

And if you look to the law of sacrifice, which is a similitude of greater spiritual things and spiritual sacrifices, what do we see?
Leviticus 22:21 “And whosoever offereth a sacrifice of peace offerings unto the Lord to accomplish his vow, or a freewill offering in beeves or sheep, it shall be perfect to be accepted; there shall be no blemish therein.”

And here in
Deuteronomy 15:21 “And if there be any blemish therein, as if it be lame, or blind, or have any ill blemish, thou shalt not sacrifice it unto the Lord thy God.” Deuteronomy 17:1 “Thou shalt not sacrifice unto the Lord thy God any bullock, or sheep, wherein is blemish, or any evilfavouredness: for that is an abomination unto the Lord thy God.”

And this is what the Lord came to perform in His Church as Paul shows here in
Ephesians 5:27 “That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”

But many carnally minded men say this being perfect, holy, and without blemish is not possible. So who are you going to believe, the doubtful words of men, or the truth according to the words of God?

But it was by reason of
transgression the daily sacrifice has been taken away by the flood of lies of the Prince of this world. Who through sowing doubt through lies by many deceivers into the hearts and minds of men, it, the spirit of a lie would also cast the truth to the ground, and the host would be trodden under foot.

Jeremiah 12:10 “Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.

Matthew 5:13Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

Aug 15, 2009

From what you post, following Christ is quite an undertaking. Not some passive, "I'll slide my way into Heaven" kind of thing.

"Dying" to self is a real work of faith. There are days it seems to take everything God has given us to beat the 'ole boy into submission. Dying hurts. It grieves our flesh. But God gives us favor & ability to perform what He requires.:)

P

Persuaded

Do we keep the old man AND the new?
With Christ we have a new spirit as the Holy Spirit now dwells with our spirit, but we will not receive a new body until Jesus returns.
Here is where the battle lies. A new born again spirit living in a still sinful flesh.
The more we follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit the greater our victory over the flesh.
But sometimes we fail to heed the leadership of the Holy Spirit and the flesh wins---we sin.
The Spirit convicts, we repent, God forgives, and the battle begins again.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Do we keep the old man AND the new?
The old man is spiritually dead once a person comes to Christ, because they are no longer a slave and alive to sin. Romans 6:11 "In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."
The issue a lot of christians have after getting saved is that they now have the seed of sin out of them, but they still have those sin habits. The early churches had the same issues and they were constantly reminded to put off the former way of life, by not conforming to the world, and to be constantly renewing their minds and spirits to the things of God.(Romans 8.6, Romans 12.2, Ephesians 4.22-24 and Colossians 3.5)

Dec 12, 2013

False.......Eternal life is given upon belief and acknowledgement of Jesus...being a disciple makes one a learner of one's doctrine...discipleship is an ongoing process and has NOTHING TO DO WITH GAINING and or KEEPING eternal life...more works heresy...nothing more

Aug 15, 2009
False.......Eternal life is given upon belief and acknowledgement of Jesus...being a disciple makes one a learner of one's doctrine...discipleship is an ongoing process and has NOTHING TO DO WITH GAINING and or KEEPING eternal life...more works heresy...nothing more
Wow..... And I thought I was harsh the past couple of days.:(