Chinese Scientists Genetically Modify Human Embryo

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 4, 2014
Ethically dubious, to be sure, but genetic modification is nevertheless an intriguing take on the traditional goal of eugenics (although it's of course entirely separate from eugenics, which espouses selective breeding and sterilization as opposed to pure genetic modification). It's quite possible that genetic modification has the capacity to change human civilization for the better -- contingent, of course, on its implementation and scientific credibility.

Dec 12, 2013
As it was in the days of Noah.....! Noah was pure in his generations and the word can be translated with a forensic sense in mind......!

W

wwjd_kilden

spooky .

Jan 25, 2015
As it was in the days of Noah.....! Noah was pure in his generations and the word can be translated with a forensic sense in mind......!
God never destroyed the earth in the days of Noah because of the humans’ sinful nature. He was displeased because the seed was being corrupted and in the end everybody would have been from a corrupted flesh. If we look at Hollywood movies today (X-men, Marvel Superheroes etc) we can see that the human race is back to the thinking as in the days of Noah. God made us inferior and we have to become superior somehow.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Ethically dubious, to be sure, but which espouses selective breeding and sterilization as opposed to pure genetic modification). It's quite possible that genetic modification has the capacity to change human civilization for the better -- contingent, of course, on its implementation and scientific credibility.
..."better"...by whose standards?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Took the words right out of my mouth brother!

Dec 18, 2013
Even the article itself and the scientist himself proves that this sort of thing should be stopped. Consider how it is even said right in the article that when they can successfully modify the gene as desired that it causes a massive amount of negative unintended consequences in others. Rather than reigniting the "ethical debate" it seems this is good proof for settling that debate by proving squarely that such experiments are at the least unnecessary and at the most unethical.

V

Viligant_Warrior

..."better"...by whose standards?
Really? Taking the bait of a non-Christian whose only purpose in being here is to tick off Christians?

You should know better.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
It is not my intention to "tick off" other Christians.

My wife suffers from a genetic problem that has passed to every female member of her family at least as far back as he grandmother, including our daughter and granddaughter. In discussing this problem with a geneticist, we found that the research into several other problems of similar nature in animals has been successful at stopping this problem, not only in the next generation, but from the correction point on.

I would like to see a list of scriptures that either supports or opposes this type of medicine. I have no intention in arguing one way or the other.

Thank you.
Billy

May 4, 2014
Really? Taking the bait of a non-Christian whose only purpose in being here is to tick off Christians?

You should know better.
I'm providing an earnest perspective on a scientific phenomenon that has a great deal of future potential. Geneticists are potentially capable of engineering live embryos to be genetically resilient to diseases caused by malfunctioning genetic material, which, to my mind, is keeping in line with the long tradition of artificially prolonging and saving human life in the medical field. Virtually all parties potentially stand to benefit from genetic modification, assuming such modifications are thoroughly shown to work effectively without introducing significant additional risk to the subject.

May 4, 2014
Even the article itself and the scientist himself proves that this sort of thing should be stopped. Consider how it is even said right in the article that when they can successfully modify the gene as desired that it causes a massive amount of negative unintended consequences in others. Rather than reigniting the "ethical debate" it seems this is good proof for settling that debate by proving squarely that such experiments are at the least unnecessary and at the most unethical.
Genetic modification is still in its infancy. The field certainly has potential, and only the future knows precisely what that potential is.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sounds like survival of the fittest. This is not going to end well.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

You should know better.
Its good for a christian to be 'stretched' and I think Liza is sincere in her challenges though I usually don't agree with her.

Dec 18, 2013
Genetic modification is still in its infancy. The field certainly has potential, and only the future knows precisely what that potential is.
The field has much potential to go awry, and that is what the evidence indicates almost unanimously. It is time to end it before Dr. Frankenstein creates a monster he cannot contain.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
If they could find a way to prevent illnesses like Rheumatoid Arthritis from being passed on, I would be all for it.

To say nothing of sex linked illnesses like colour blindness, which I passed onto one son. Not that it is deadly, but very hard on my son to live in a world where the assumption is that everyone can see red on black - including a time clock. It was very hard to play pro hockey in some arenas, because he could not see the time on the clock. His teammates had to keep him informed. It would have been so simple to create a clock that everyone could see, too!