Cold weather and smart phones

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Seems that when it gets cold, Apple has some problems with the batteries in the new iPhones. Seems their design low temp is 32 degrees.

Cold weather messes with smart phones

Other smart phones may have the same problem.

Electric autos use lithium batteries. I wonder if freezing temps effect their batteries?

Feb 7, 2015
One thing they taught us in the Military was to keep batteries inside our clothing, next to our bodies, to keep the batteries warm. It is even easier to do that with a cell phone.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
One thing they taught us in the Military was to keep batteries inside our clothing, next to our bodies, to keep the batteries warm. It is even easier to do that with a cell phone.
That's hard for our young folks to do. Sometimes I think most of them have the phone glued to their hand.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
My work issues apple phones, I hate them. I left mine in the car after work, with a full battery. By midnight, I was getting rrady to sleep, and remembered it was out there. I went and got it, had 5% battery left.

S

Seedz

Lithium Ion batteries have a liquid electrolyte made from lithium salt, hence the lithium ion.

The lithium salt is dissolved in an organic solvent, and although the salt will keep it from freezing, it will vary from battery to battery.

If the newer batteries have "less" lithium salt, or the solvent is more prone to freezing or cold temperatures then you will experience poor performance.

Feb 7, 2015
Lithium Ion batteries have a liquid electrolyte made from lithium salt, hence the lithium ion.

The lithium salt is dissolved in an organic solvent, and although the salt will keep it from freezing, it will vary from battery to battery.

If the newer batteries have "less" lithium salt, or the solvent is more prone to freezing or cold temperatures then you will experience poor performance.
Simple translation: All batteries are less effective when they get cold.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I'd like to know the science behind my grandfather keeping alkaline batteries in the ice box.

Feb 7, 2015
Yes, but where are their hands?
All joking aside, in the Army, do you know exactly where they told us to place our extra batteries during cold weather?

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
All joking aside, in the Army, do you know exactly where they told us to place our extra batteries during cold weather?
Those green GI batteries leak too much for that.

Feb 7, 2015
He must have believed everything my grandmother told him.
Well, one of the biggest is that "winter is the flu and cold season."

No, it is the "Sugar Season." Cold temperatures actually kill germs. But, sugar effectively stops our immune system, dead in its tracks, and leaves our bodies with no way to combat the invasion of any germs. And what do we consume in massive quantities all through the Holiday season? Sugar.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Well, one of the biggest is that "winter is the flu and cold season."

No, it is the "Sugar Season." Cold temperatures actually kill germs. But, sugar effectively stops our immune system, dead in its tracks, and leaves our bodies with no way to combat the invasion of any germs. And what do we consume in massive quantities all through the Holiday season? Sugar.
Plus, everyone is inside with the heat, close to eachother, spreading germs.

I've been trying to promote eating just meat, buy everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Feb 7, 2015
Plus, everyone is inside with the heat, close to each other, spreading germs.

I've been trying to promote eating just meat, buy everyone thinks I'm crazy.
Now, THAT is a fact that I had not factored in.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Now, THAT is a fact that I had not factored in.
My mother told me that as a child.

Kids love spreading germs too. School covers right through the winter months.