Combatting worldliness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I'm a person who kind of is in their own bubble with the whole "being a caregiver for my dad with cancer" thing. But sadly I find myself becoming more and more worldly. I'm on my phone all the time when I'm not taking care of the household, then I'm on the computer. I'm trying to lessen my online time, but I still feel like I'm too focused on worldly things. It doesn't help that my job right now is basically to be at dad's side, and I have my internet related things to pass the week or so he's bed ridden after chemo.

My goal has been to start blogging, since I can't hold an actual job at this point, and I always worry that it just becomes a giant self shrine.

Yeah im very critical of myself, but I still would like some suggestions on how to sort of being down Airlines's and start dying to myself daily like we're supposed to.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I know the word also says that the be a friend of the world is to be at emnity with God and I definitely don't want that. At all.

Aug 16, 2016
Study the scriptures in your spare time. In Psalms and Joshua it talks about mediating on the word day and night. Since you get on the net often there are various sites to listen or read the scriptures. If you enjoy sermons there are many of them on youtube. There are also free bible apps available

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Yeah I have the gateway app from here actually hahah. I've been having fun reading psalms 119 and all its mini sections. One thing that's interesting is that I find it harder to meditate on scriptures than to just read them and keep going. Hm...

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I'm a person who kind of is in their own bubble with the whole "being a caregiver for my dad with cancer" thing. But sadly I find myself becoming more and more worldly. I'm on my phone all the time when I'm not taking care of the household, then I'm on the computer. I'm trying to lessen my online time, but I still feel like I'm too focused on worldly things. It doesn't help that my job right now is basically to be at dad's side, and I have my internet related things to pass the week or so he's bed ridden after chemo.

My goal has been to start blogging, since I can't hold an actual job at this point, and I always worry that it just becomes a giant self shrine.

Yeah im very critical of myself, but I still would like some suggestions on how to sort of being down Airlines's and start dying to myself daily like we're supposed to.
Hi ArtsieSteph...First of all remember, God sees your heart, He watches how you take care of your dad, He also knows how much you do deny yourself while you are your dads carer...What you are doing is a wonderful thing, it takes such love to be committed as you are, it is not an easy life you have yet you have set yours a side for the sake of your father :)...Just remember, every thing we do, everything we have, we must give thanks and give all the glory to God, thank God that you have electricity, thank Him for your internet, thank Him you have friends on line to help build you up, you do have a job and you are faithful at doing it, God sees your humble, He sees your needs...If you were getting up in the morning and putting yourself first, checking in on your dad and going out in the world to play, then by all means you should worry, but God understands where you are at, if the Holy Spirit is telling you that you need to drop out certain things then you must obey, but don`t let your own heart rule your mind, it can be very deceitful, and also remember, the evil one wants you to have no pleasure ...xox...

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Yeah I'm definetly a person who lives often by jos they feel. Praying God helps me with that.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Yeah I'm definetly a person who lives often by jos they feel. Praying God helps me with that.
He can only help you with that is you seek His word on these issues...What i find helpful is when i am suffering a certain need. or having a problem with something, i search out Scriptures on these areas and God feeds me, it`s no good me looking for something on anger if anger is not my problem :D, find the Scriptures to help you over come whatever it is that needs to be dealt with and grow from them...xox...

Dec 19, 2009

Instead of spending less time doing "worldly" things, spend more time praying, perhaps. You don't have to stop what you are doing to pray. Remember that Paul taught us to pray constantly (1 Thess 5:17).

slave

Mar 20, 2015

This isn't about the world's torment, its about your stewardship of the power of God in the world. The problems aren't in the world influencing you, its in how close and accountable you are to God Himself. For in Him we are given to manage what is His.But, unless we live by faith thru righteousness in this, we will be like the world for we will not live spiritually, but will resort to living by the flesh once more. The ironic thing is to die to the right to yourself we must both have a revelation we have been crucified with Christ already as we see in (Gal. 2:20), but we must also have an experiential revelation, that no other thing is worthy of my life but to die to the right to myself, and this takes the timing of God in His investment of you to gain, not a thing to do, or a thought to provoke us. Be patient, then, with His finishing work in You, and be ever so faithful in Him thru righteousness.

Just take it one thing at a time. When God makes it clear for you to do, simply obey it immediately. But know this is where the experience and exercising of your faith happens; and where satan wants to defeat you. Go on with God thru it, and you will gain strength in Him. Is He speaking to you about your time on the computer? Is it condemnation and weight you feel? This is not of God; it is Satan lying to you about God. If it is a burden of your spirit it is of God, then simply do as He asks (immediately).Then as the world pressures come your strength with come from the joy of the Lord, despite the world's system's pressures.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017

Hi Steph, I'm a blogger, but don't make it a self shrine rather, make your bogging a way to give Him Glory. I began blogging with this bible verse in mind; "O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together." Psalm34.

You also need to bring in helpers to assisted you with your dad - some way, some how, you need to get relief so that you can be refreshed in whatever you are pleased to do - can you recruit; a relative, a friend, a church member (call the church secretary for assistance), you may qualify for, assisted living help, by calling Dept. of Health and Social Services. If you are to burned out and tired enough already, please ask your closest friend to make a few phone calls for you and just sit a relax a while. You should not do this alone - I pray for you - you need to be refreshed from God.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
One way I have been really, really, really blessed, is that I don't live alone. Mom is with me, so that when she gets home I can take a break from things. Also, my grandma comes in almost every day to hang out with dad and give me more respite. And another thing too, dad is pretty upwardly mobile and not like an invalid or anything. He is quite healthy for the circumstances.

Oh yeah, I remember about your blog! Maybe I'm not spiritually minded enough, I tend to think the idea of a Christian blog, the idea of a Christian person living their day to day lives, would be awesome. I don't tend to be as....reasearch...ie...?

Feb 28, 2016
AS,

we absolutely Love when you post your honest feelings, but, it really seems as if our
Heavenly Father is trying to teach you to NOT FOCUS so much on 'yourself', and just
give your precious heart to those who need you now, for their 'now' will soon be later,
after the fact...

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I don't tend to be as....reasearch...ie...?
Just commit your blogging or what ever we do in our live's to the Lord - quietly in your heart or out loud. Focus all on Jesus our Saviour.

Last edited:

Billyd

May 8, 2014

The last days that I had to spend with my father are some of the most precious days of my life. I enjoyed each of them. He had so much to share, and we had never had the opportunity just to sit and talk. We walked and talked for hours. We took many drives and talked. And yes we just talked for hours when he could no longer get out of the bed. I know that I heard many of the same stories over and over, but it was important to him to tell them to me. You are so blessed to have these days with him. Enjoy every precious one of them.

Chemo treatments my limit his ability to talk, but he will listen to you talk.

Don't try to fight worldliness at this time. Let God do that for you. I promise you that he will. He will give you all the strength that you need.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I love this site because there ar so many Christian brothers who have life references and fellowship I'd never have anywhere else.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Being on the Internet a lot is not something I would consider as being worldly. What is important is that being online is not ruling your life. If you feel like the Holy Spirit is leading you to be online less or you think you need to be online less, then by all means, go for it. If you want to be online less, I would suggest you focus on some other activities to fill in the time. As long as being on the Internet is not taking away from your reponsibilies or time with God, then I don't see a problem with it.

P

pottersclay

Steph, glad to hear you are still at your father's side. What a example of what the Lord is showing you. To be at your father's side.
This world tries to pre occupy our minds and lead us away from heavenly thoughts.
Spend some time in the word of God and ask what would you want to do through me Lord. Make yourself available.
Some well meaning Christians get caught up in asking what can I do for you Lord....which is asking amiss. We can do nothing for the Lord but the Lord can do all things through us if we just make ourselves available.
Putting aside time to read, pray, and meditate will put you on the path the Lord has chosen for you. Before ya know it you'll be busier than a one armed paper hanger serving the lord and not have any interest or time for worldly things.

Jun 1, 2016

pray and spend time in the 4 gospels, each morning. center your mind on Gods Word and let it work in you. and remember that yesterday is behind you, tomorrow never really comes, so today is all we actually have to deal with. I believe thats why it is written " daily lay yourself down and follow" tomorrow is never tomorrow when it arrives, and it may not arrive for any of us, you cant do anything about yesterday. so focus on the 18 hours you have today, pray often and He will lead you and rest will be found inwardly.

D

Depleted

A common sense suggestion:
-- Don't go to Dairy Queen to get dieting advice.
-- Don't go to a prison to learn how to be honest.
-- Don't go to the smoking area to learn how to quit smoking.
-- Don't learn how to stay offline from a group of people always online.

(On the positive side of this, I started blogging when hubby was on chemo at his bequest. His bequest because I was constantly hovering over him, so he was politely giving me a way to stop that annoying habit. The blog I started was about the life of my stuffed animals. It's 14 years later and I'm creating a list of agents to query to sell the novel that came along because of them in those days, so it's not like nothing good happens. It's just wasted time until you figure out what you want out of it. Right now I'm thinking coming to CC is another waste of time most of the time. The problem is, it's not always.)