Commit your way to the Lord

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

OreoSoleil

Psalms 37:4-5 Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

Such a powerful verse and definitely misquoted alot. My question was --"Commit Your Way to the Lord" -- would that be as simple as laying your life down each day and telling God you are his servant and his will not yours --or is it deeper than that?

Input?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
As with all scripture God Our Father has given us many messages in each word.
This tells me to live everything in God Our Father, praising and commiting all to his glory.
It is not always about what you are to do, but about always giving what you are doing to Him and praising him in it. Wether good or bad.
When you give all to God Our Father it opens the door to his power in your life, satisfying your heart in him. It also, in time , allows you to see how all things work to His care and love for you, and glorifying Him.
God bless, pickles

L

lighthousejohn

As with all scripture God Our Father has given us many messages in each word.
This tells me to live everything in God Our Father, praising and commiting all to his glory.
It is not always about what you are to do, but about always giving what you are doing to Him and praising him in it. Wether good or bad.
When you give all to God Our Father it opens the door to his power in your life, satisfying your heart in him. It also, in time , allows you to see how all things work to His care and love for you, and glorifying Him.
God bless, pickles
Pickles,

You naied it. For us to delight in the Lord, He needs to delight in us. This does not mean that we have to "be pure" because that is already accomplished by the blood of Christ. We only have to be willing to let Him guide us in all we do.

When He is in charge of us we get a charge out of Him.

In Christ,
John

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Psalms 37:4-5 Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

Such a powerful verse and definitely misquoted alot. My question was --"Commit Your Way to the Lord" -- would that be as simple as laying your life down each day and telling God you are his servant and his will not yours --or is it deeper than that?

Input?
I think the idea of laying our lives down everyday is silly. That would imply that somehow overnight we took our lives back from God.

The reality is that all Christians begin their new life NOT committing our way to the Lord. It's only after much time - possibly many years - of God working on our hearts that He is able to help us commit our "Way" to Himself. Then once our Way is committed, it will remain so, unless we should fall into unbelief.

It's all about absolute surrender, to give up all of our sins, our possessions, our pride, our hopes, our dreams, our comfort. It means we are willing to share in Christ's sufferings. Only God can make a man/woman able to surrender himself/herself completely.

Quest

Last edited:
K

Kuroko

Well this is a funny one for me because it's so clear what it's saying, tell me if this make sense.

If what you want with all your heart is to love others (the lord is the embodiment of LOVE so to delight yourself in the lord is to delight yourself in love) then he will give you want you desire, if you commit yourself to loving others with your entire heart than it will happen.

So it's kind of funny how true that is, if you want with all your heart to love than commit yourself to it and the lord will help it happen!

I think I've found a new favorite verse in the bible ^_^

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about?

Oct 1, 2009
From what I have seen, and what has been what I have been through. The more joy I've experienced from reading the Word gives me a greater and growing desire for him. Whether it is the desire to know him, to be like him, to be with him, to experience the pleasures of heaven, to rejoice over having eternal life, the more I find myself liking this world less and less. I feel out of place when my desire is to be with like minded people yet everyone around me only caring about the things of this world. One thing that happens when you draw closer to him is you begin to really know how far in character, holiness, glory you are from him, and then you begin to despair.

Committing your way to him is giving up on your efforts and letting him take over. But then you lay your heart out to him, telling him how great he is and low you are, and just trusting in him, that he will do his work through you, and he begins to.

So to summarize, when he starts working through you he begins to replace your earthly desires with heavenly desires, so much so that those things you craved for so badly in this world, even if you get them, no longer satisfy you. He also gives you a desire for him, and once you have this desire, you surrender your efforts to obtain it and trust in him to do through you what you wish you could do. I hope that makes sense.

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
From what I have seen, and what has been what I have been through. The more joy I've experienced from reading the Word gives me a greater and growing desire for him. Whether it is the desire to know him, to be like him, to be with him, to experience the pleasures of heaven, to rejoice over having eternal life, the more I find myself liking this world less and less. I feel out of place when my desire is to be with like minded people yet everyone around me only caring about the things of this world. One thing that happens when you draw closer to him is you begin to really know how far in character, holiness, glory you are from him, and then you begin to despair.

Committing your way to him is giving up on your efforts and letting him take over. But then you lay your heart out to him, telling him how great he is and low you are, and just trusting in him, that he will do his work through you, and he begins to.

So to summarize, when he starts working through you he begins to replace your earthly desires with heavenly desires, so much so that those things you craved for so badly in this world, even if you get them, no longer satisfy you. He also gives you a desire for him, and once you have this desire, you surrender your efforts to obtain it and trust in him to do through you what you wish you could do. I hope that makes sense.
This is awesome Pete!!! Very sweetness post!

Lately I have been so sick of losing conscious focus on God, and of having my world revolve around me, etc.. Sometimes it's almost painful because I want Him so bad. The only answer I can get back when I express my frustrations to Him is: "Trust me."

It's like: "God, please hurry up this process, I want you so darn bad!!! I want you to rule my life NOW!" God just replies saying: "Trust me and my Word."

It's a frustratingly slow process and I know in my heart that there is more than this available from God, but what else can I do? I'll just trust Him.

Quest

phil36

Feb 12, 2009

Input?

I think it is deeper Oreosoleil, for once you commit yourself to Jesus, your motives and thoughts will revolve around His, that has been revealed in Scripture. as we ween ourselves from milk and get our teeth into the meat the more we hunger for Jesus, and the more we want to live like Him, be like Him.

However, we shouldn't beat ourselves up if we are getting there slowly, just commit your self to Jesus, keep feeding on His word, meditate and delight in it. when the thought of sin rears its ugly head immerse our selves in prayer and word, and flee from it.

With Patience and a stillness to hear the soft voice of God in the hustle and bustle and noise of life.

Thanks for starting a great edifying thread :)

Phil

Oct 1, 2009

Lately I have been so sick of losing conscious focus on God, and of having my world revolve around me, etc.. Sometimes it's almost painful because I want Him so bad. The only answer I can get back when I express my frustrations to Him is: "Trust me."

It's like: "God, please hurry up this process, I want you so darn bad!!! I want you to rule my life NOW!" God just replies saying: "Trust me and my Word."

It's a frustratingly slow process and I know in my heart that there is more than this available from God, but what else can I do? I'll just trust Him.

Quest
Amen! Brotherly hug!

pickles

Apr 20, 2009

Quest
I sooo understand. I keep getting the message to wait patiently for the Lord.
I guess patience is the lesson right now for me. :D
Just remember as I try to, that when God Our Father's work is always worth waiting for!
God bless, pickles