Consequences of past sins...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I know truly in my heart the reason why Christ died for me , and I know that all my sins have been forgiven , and God remembers them no more , and yet lately , I am haunted by a sin that has been raising its ugly head that it brings me to my knees once again...

I can`t help but go over it with God , and I find myself repeatedly confessing from heart that I know I am His child and saved through His Son and then I thank Him also for guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus , yet this sin is ever before me , just like Davids was ever before him...

I think this is the consequence that I have to live with all the days of my life , so with a humble heart I ask you my brothers & sisters , how do you deal with a particular sin that just won`t leave you alone...

I remain in prayer as I am going through this , but sometimes it is crippling me , is this the consequence I have to pay forever ? , will reliving it ever stop ?...

Please be kind , my heart is heavy with this...
...xox...

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I know truly in my heart the reason why Christ died for me , and I know that all my sins have been forgiven , and God remembers them no more , and yet lately , I am haunted by a sin that has been raising its ugly head that it brings me to my knees once again...

I can`t help but go over it with God , and I find myself repeatedly confessing from heart that I know I am His child and saved through His Son and then I thank Him also for guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus , yet this sin is ever before me , just like Davids was ever before him...

I think this is the consequence that I have to live with all the days of my life , so with a humble heart I ask you my brothers & sisters , how do you deal with a particular sin that just won`t leave you alone...

I remain in prayer as I am going through this , but sometimes it is crippling me , is this the consequence I have to pay forever ? , will reliving it ever stop ?...

...xox...
(Rather it be a physical or mental sin we must keep the reality of the cross and the flesh in perspective. A physical sin is the physical action where as a mental sin is for example the lust in the mind or unforgiving anger in the heart.

Paul gave us a great perspective on this struggle. )

Romans 7:15-25 (NIV)
15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

( Let's break some of this down. There is the moral and written law that guides in what is good. Moral law is the inner conscience. Written law is the Bible. Just from knowing or having a inner guidance isnt enough to to protect us from sin. As long as we are in the flesh, we have the struggle between good and evil. This is how when scripture says none are worthy, this is why. Jesus Christ did what we could not. His sacrifice covers the sins of the world. Past, present and future for all who believe.

Your past has been forgiven. Through Christ we are seen as righteous in the eyes of God. Because in Christ, the Father forgives but even goes one step further and will not remember our sins. )

Hebrews 8:12 (NIV)
12 For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.”

Jeremiah 31:33-34 (NIV)
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
For I will forgive their wickedness

( Knowing that God doesn't even remember the sin, hold a grudge, or whatever else our minds dwell on. So why do we constantly let the past haunt us? If God forgives and forgets then it can only be Satanic forces that are pushing the lies and temptations to fall into guilt, despair, or doubt. We have to focus on strictly the promises of God and be able to filter the tactics of the enemy within the mind.

This sounds wonderful but what do we do with reoccurring sin that we cannot seam to shake or we continually struggle in?)

2 Corinthians 12:6-10 (NIV)
6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

( As explained above, as long as we are in the flesh, we will be subjected to sin. Our sins keep the Christian humble and through repentance reminds us of our place in the equation of salvation. Some sins are like the thorn within Paul. Some will debate rather the thorn was a physical impairment or a particular sin but regardless the philosophy of the teaching can speak to us on different levels as the living word often does. The thorn is where Satan knows we are the weakest and knows that is the best area to tempt.

God knew we would fail as to why He sent His Son. When failure occurs, Satan wants us to remain in doubt, regret, grief, because that is the only strategy he has. To try and separate us from God, knowing that in if we quickly redirect to Christ, he Satan has no power as we instantly remember we are forgiven, God remembers our sin no more, and there is no shame in our weaknesses. The quicker we return to Christ is what turns even our weaknesses into a prime example of how Christ's power can even move through our failures.

A mature believer will quickly get right with God after failure and in that we spend less time separated and lost in the tactics of Satan. No sense in trying to make excuses or run. We instantly repent and turn back to Jesus. We are to carry our crosses daily which means our war is a daily battle. We win some and lose some. It is what we do when the losses occur that makes all the difference. Do we run or hide? As Adam and Eve did. Or quickly say here I am God! And subject ourselves back again at the foot of the cross. )

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
(Rather it be a physical or mental sin we must keep the reality of the cross and the flesh in perspective. A physical sin is the physical action where as a mental sin is for example the lust in the mind or unforgiving anger in the heart.

Paul gave us a great perspective on this struggle. )

Romans 7:15-25 (NIV)
15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

( Let's break some of this down. There is the moral and written law that guides in what is good. Moral law is the inner conscience. Written law is the Bible. Just from knowing or having a inner guidance isnt enough to to protect us from sin. As long as we are in the flesh, we have the struggle between good and evil. This is how when scripture says none are worthy, this is why. Jesus Christ did what we could not. His sacrifice covers the sins of the world. Past, present and future for all who believe.

Your past has been forgiven. Through Christ we are seen as righteous in the eyes of God. Because in Christ, the Father forgives but even goes one step further and will not remember our sins. )

Hebrews 8:12 (NIV)
12 For I will forgive their wickedness

Jeremiah 31:33-34 (NIV)
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord.
For I will forgive their wickedness

( Knowing that God doesn't even remember the sin, hold a grudge, or whatever else our minds dwell on. So why do we constantly let the past haunt us? If God forgives and forgets then it can only be Satanic forces that are pushing the lies and temptations to fall into guilt, despair, or doubt. We have to focus on strictly the promises of God and be able to filter the tactics of the enemy within the mind.

This sounds wonderful but what do we do with reoccurring sin that we cannot seam to shake or we continually struggle in?)

2 Corinthians 12:6-10 (NIV)
6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

( As explained above, as long as we are in the flesh, we will be subjected to sin. Our sins keep the Christian humble and through repentance reminds us of our place in the equation of salvation. Some sins are like the thorn within Paul. Some will debate rather the thorn was a physical impairment or a particular sin but regardless the philosophy of the teaching can speak to us on different levels as the living word often does. The thorn is where Satan knows we are the weakest and knows that is the best area to tempt.

God knew we would fail as to why He sent His Son. When failure occurs, Satan wants us to remain in doubt, regret, grief, because that is the only strategy he has. To try and separate us from God, knowing that in if we quickly redirect to Christ, he Satan has no power as we instantly remember we are forgiven, God remembers our sin no more, and there is no shame in our weaknesses. The quicker we return to Christ is what turns even our weaknesses into a prime example of how Christ's power can even move through our failures.

A mature believer will quickly get right with God after failure and in that we spend less time separated and lost in the tactics of Satan. No sense in trying to make excuses or run. We instantly repent and turn back to Jesus. We are to carry our crosses daily which means our war is a daily battle. We win some and lose some. It is what we do when the losses occur that makes all the difference. Do we run or hide? As Adam and Eve did. Or quickly say here I am God! And subject ourselves back again at the foot of the cross. )
Thank you for your response , I am truly grateful ...

What triggered this for me about my past sin that I committed years ago was something I have truly repented from , but something happened the other evening that truly brought the disgust of my sin to mind...

It was something I saw physically with my eyes unexpectedly and shook me to my core , I can not even speak of it here for fear of being judged although I know there is no condemnation for me because I am in Christ...

I have spent some precious time with our Father since writing this post , and I know He is and will protect my mind in Jesus , I was just so in shock I can not get the image out off my mind although thank God it is not as vivid as when I first saw it...

Thank you once again for your time...God bless you...
...xox...

G00WZ

May 16, 2014

...xox...
A lot of times when i feel myself accusing myself of sin or whatever, rather than respond by falling to my knees and feeling bad about it, i respond to being in righteousness as an act of faith and completely deny that the sin even existed by not responding to it "accordingly", and instead i do the opposite and give praise to being in righteousness instead. It doesn't always "feel" right or seem like the best response, but i have learned through many trials that i have to respond as an act of faith always as a response to a belief... Even if i don't see it or feel it yet.

Sin/satan arises to try to accuse and make me aware of myself in my self consciousness.. Dunno if you know or remember, but "Satan" means accuser... So in his name is his position and job, to accuse. What i do is deny myself and pick up my cross... lets say for example that i feel guilty about something. I would have to realize that's the enemy causing that, and his goal is to get me to place my faith in those feelings and "act" or "respond" to it. The way of resisting him when he comes is for me to place my faith in what God says, as he says that i am forgiven and no longer guilty... And because of this, i now have to "act" or "respond" to it. So what i would do, out of God purposing or causing forgiveness onto me, is i now have to forgive others, or maybe give praise... Or anything kind of act that supports that i am responding to it.

Another thing to note is i am not my body or my mind, however things can be done through me... So even if something stupid was done through or to me i still don't identify as it. A person gets their identity from what they focus on and react to. So rather than focus on what was done through me, i focus on and how i acted and responded to righteousness in faith. A person might respond to this with something like " that's dumb, how can you react to, or have faith in something you can't even see or experience yet?" .My response is Hebrews 11.1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Faith in your sin, and your acts towards it just fuels the fire and affirms its existence and keeps you alive to it.
The perception of sin being before you... Indeed it might be perceived to be there, but you shouldn't act to it, by contemplating
the consequences of something non-existential in you to God. Consider it irrelevant and dead, and instead focus on the consequences of being in His righteousness. Focus on the positive consequences of being a child of God, not the negative byproduct of sin.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
A lot of times when i feel myself accusing myself of sin or whatever, rather than respond by falling to my knees and feeling bad about it, i respond to being in righteousness as an act of faith and completely deny that the sin even existed by not responding to it "accordingly", and instead i do the opposite and give praise to being in righteousness instead. It doesn't always "feel" right or seem like the best response, but i have learned through many trials that i have to respond as an act of faith always as a response to a belief... Even if i don't see it or feel it yet.

Sin/satan arises to try to accuse and make me aware of myself in my self consciousness.. Dunno if you know or remember, but "Satan" means accuser... So in his name is his position and job, to accuse. What i do is deny myself and pick up my cross... lets say for example that i feel guilty about something. I would have to realize that's the enemy causing that, and his goal is to get me to place my faith in those feelings and "act" or "respond" to it. The way of resisting him when he comes is for me to place my faith in what God says, as he says that i am forgiven and no longer guilty... And because of this, i now have to "act" or "respond" to it. So what i would do, out of God purposing or causing forgiveness onto me, is i now have to forgive others, or maybe give praise... Or anything kind of act that supports that i am responding to it.

Another thing to note is i am not my body or my mind, however things can be done through me... So even if something stupid was done through or to me i still don't identify as it. A person gets their identity from what they focus on and react to. So rather than focus on what was done through me, i focus on and how i acted and responded to righteousness in faith. A person might respond to this with something like " that's dumb, how can you react to, or have faith in something you can't even see or experience yet?" .My response is Hebrews 11.1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Faith in your sin, and your acts towards it just fuels the fire and affirms its existence and keeps you alive to it.
The perception of sin being before you... Indeed it might be perceived to be there, but you shouldn't act to it, by contemplating
the consequences of something non-existential in you to God. Consider it irrelevant and dead, and instead focus on the consequences of being in His righteousness. Focus on the positive consequences of being a child of God, not the negative byproduct of sin.
Thank you for your reply...

I agree with you , but yet I also think many things that happen to us that we do not expect does give us a reminder from something from our past , and what happened to me just felt like the consequence from that awful sin I committed , although all sin is bad in Gods eyes , this one is the one I had the hardest time with , and I know my LORD has set me free , and God remembers it no more , but unfortunately I do , and the thing that triggered me brought it to the front of my mind that it shook me , but today God has restored peace in my heart , and yes you are correct , the evil one is the one who put the fear into me after the initial shock , but the fear led me to the arms of God \:)/...
...xox...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Through tear-filled eyes I sought for Your forgiveness,
For a failure that had happened in my life.
Haunted by a memory that wouldn't let me live in peace,
Lord let Your mercy end this pain and strife.

I could tell You had forgotten
What I was talking about.
You were not even bothered
With what was bringing me down.
I saw grace and forgiveness
Were accomplished no doubt
When You could not remember

~Crabb Family
"I Could Tell You Had Forgotten"

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Also Ezekiel 33:11-16

11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

14 Again, when I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; if he turn from his sin, and do that which is lawful and right;

15 If the wicked restore the pledge, give again that he had robbed, walk in the statutes of life, without committing iniquity; he shall surely live, he shall not die.

16 None of his sins that he hath committed shall be mentioned unto him: he hath done that which is lawful and right; he shall surely live.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Through tear-filled eyes I sought for Your forgiveness,
Lord let Your mercy end this pain and strife.

I could tell You had forgotten
You were not even bothered
With what was bringing me down.
I saw grace and forgiveness
Were accomplished no doubt
When You could not remember

~Crabb Family
"I Could Tell You Had Forgotten"
@Lynx ...
This is so beautiful , thank you so much , is it a song ?
...xox...

E

EleventhHour

...xox...
Looking back is never good.

The past is done...Satan is always working to get our eyes off Jesus.

Every single sin has been dealt with at the cross... we rise to new life in Jesus.

Trust His words....."It is Finished"

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Looking back is never good.

The past is done...Satan is always working to get our eyes off Jesus.

Every single sin has been dealt with at the cross... we rise to new life in Jesus.

Trust His words....."It is Finished"
Thank you for your reply sister...

I was not looking back , I was actually doing something in the kitchen and something so awful happened that it shook me and instantly brought out something that I know God has forgiven me for , that is why I say , we will always have the consequences of our past sins...

Some reminders of our past lives are easy to deal with then others where sin is concerned , this reminder came right out the blue ...

I know Jesus has forgiven me , that is not the problem , I am just looking at what happened to me as a consequence...

I would like to explain what happened , but like I said , it is to deep to go into here , but today I have peace , and God is good , and I am thankful to Him that I ran into His arms and not ran away in fear as satan would want me to...
...xox...

E

EleventhHour

Thank you for your reply sister...

I was not looking back , I was actually doing something in the kitchen and something so awful happened that it shook me and instantly brought out something that I know God has forgiven me for , that is why I say , we will always have the consequences of our past sins...

Some reminders of our past lives are easy to deal with then others where sin is concerned , this reminder came right out the blue ...

I know Jesus has forgiven me , that is not the problem , I am just looking at what happened to me as a consequence...

I would like to explain what happened , but like I said , it is to deep to go into here , but today I have peace , and God is good , and I am thankful to Him that I ran into His arms and not ran away in fear as satan would want me to...
...xox...
I understand better now.
I think we can be relinquished, set free from all past sins.
We are not in bondage.

You absolutely need to find someone with whom you can reveal this and purge this from your life.
I do completely understand now what you mean.

I am fine if you want to PM and I can assure strictest confidence and absolutely no judgement.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
I understand better now.
I think we can be relinquished, set free from all past sins.
We are not in bondage.

You absolutely need to find someone with whom you can reveal this and purge this from your life.
I do completely understand now what you mean.

I am fine if you want to PM and I can assure strictest confidence and absolutely no judgement.
Thank you so much sister , I will do that ...
...xox...

G

Godsgirl83

@Lynx ...
This is so beautiful , thank you so much , is it a song ?
...xox...
it is a song by the Crabb Family.......

Through tear-filled eyes I sought for your forgiveness,
Lord let your mercy end this pain and strife.

I could tell you had forgotten what I was talking about.
You were not even bothered with what was bringing me down.
I saw grace and forgiveness were accomplished no doubt
When you could not remember what I was talking about.

It amazes me how that ole cross could handle sin forever.
Just one drop of your blood makes me clean
God's work of grace completed, sin's hold on me defeated.
So far removed the past cannot be seen.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
it is a song by the Crabb Family.......

Through tear-filled eyes I sought for your forgiveness,
Lord let your mercy end this pain and strife.

I could tell you had forgotten what I was talking about.
You were not even bothered with what was bringing me down.
I saw grace and forgiveness were accomplished no doubt
When you could not remember what I was talking about.

It amazes me how that ole cross could handle sin forever.
Just one drop of your blood makes me clean
God's work of grace completed, sin's hold on me defeated.
So far removed the past cannot be seen.
Thank you GG , I have wrote the words down in my journal , now I have the rest of the words :)...
Going to listen now...xox...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
We are told after repentance He remembers them no more

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
We are told after repentance He remembers them no more
I know that @shittim , it is the consequence of one of my past sins where something happened that was not in my control that made me realize that we have to all live with the consequences...

Most sins are do not affect us with trauma , but some sins that we have done , a reminder can shake us greatly , even though I know I am saved by Gods amazing grace through His Son Jesus...

God does not remember , but I did when it hit me in the face when I was not expecting it , neither was it on my mind...

Like I said , it was the consequence I had trouble with...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I don't know, maybe I don't understand, when a thought is brought to my mind of something I have done and repented of it is to me an attack of the evil one, since we know He remembers them not.
When I turn back to what the indwelling Christ is asking of me by Holy Spirit it touches me not, the remembrance fades, the more I focus on Him, the less the temptations. we can get where the "wicked one touches us not". That is the way I have heard it taught and how I am experiencing G-d's love in my life.
Praying
Bless you sister, in Jesus name

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Is not some of that the nature of the fallen world we were born in?
Blessings