conservative or contemporary?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

rwilk31

I was raised in a strict conservative church ( I'm talking women wear skirts and have long hair). I'm not sure what I have been taught is God's law or man's law. How can I distinguish between what I have been taught and what is the truth or are they the same?

C

Crazy4GODword

Let the Spirit tap in, try getting into GOD's word just lean to it and most definitely study it friend
talk with more believer to help grow faith.

Did this help or the opposite?

J

jimmydiggs

This is rather cliche, but..
2 tim 2:15
15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

May 16, 2010
I was raised in a strict conservative church ( I'm talking women wear skirts and have long hair). I'm not sure what I have been taught is God's law or man's law. How can I distinguish between what I have been taught and what is the truth or are they the same?
Hi rwilk; welcome to ChristianChat, from my studies, i understand that the whole Bible is the Law, a work in progress to re-establish fairness for ALL.

The Law consists of 3 parts; Commandments, Statutes and Ordinances. This can kind of be looked at as, Federal, Provincial and Municiple Laws. The degree of punishment varies, depending on which Law is broken and where you were and what you were actualy doing,(room for defense of actions)

From what i have been able to understand; Christ nailed almost all of the Oridences to the Cross, for US, saving, except The Lords Prayer and you Gospel (Good-News) Armour. These two are the only remaining Ordinances that i'm aware of.

The Statutes as i understand them to be, are the 3 Feasts of the Tabrenacles, that YAHAVAH stated to the whole house of Israel, though they will hold them in ignorace, and i do not accept them; they will be held for every generation as a Memorial unto Me!
We know them today as; Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving.

And then theres the Commandments; Those stood Before; They stand NOW and They will Stand Forever to Come. No Death, No Ill Communication; No Stealing.

Hope this helps you a little.

Love and Peace in CHRIST!!!Forever! :)

I

Israel

Deuteronomy 5:22

22These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

We are commanded to hear the voice of the LORD God. Outside of that, He added no more. The ten commandments of God are the ONLY commandments that are Spirit. These commandments are summed up in love. Indeed, His burden is light.

May 21, 2009
Do you think a skirt and long hair will get u in heaven? The devil has chased more people away from church with all the mess people push on other people.

C

Crazy4GODword

Deuteronomy 5:22

22These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

We are commanded to hear the voice of the LORD God. Outside of that, He added no more. The ten commandments of God are the ONLY commandments that are Spirit. These commandments are summed up in love. Indeed, His burden is light.
friend as it is written "We live by grace not law" even though we should repent and definitely follow the Ten but if someone is to think that we enter by law (not saying this of you Israel) of the kingdom of heaven then really they have been crushed themselves by the law instead (well someone can keep all of them) and (in my opinion) if i went by the law not to break them to enter the kingdom ever, then really I would not enter on the first try really....So by grace love and mercy GOD has granted us

This did not offend anyone did it or the opposite?

I

Israel

friend as it is written "We live by grace not law" even though we should repent and definitely follow the Ten but if someone is to think that we enter by law (not saying this of you Israel) of the kingdom of heaven then really they have been crushed themselves by the law instead (well someone can keep all of them) and (in my opinion) if i went by the law not to break them to enter the kingdom ever, then really I would not enter on the first try really....So by grace love and mercy GOD has granted us

This did not offend anyone did it or the opposite?
Friend, you misunderstand me. We speak the same thing as it is not the letter that saves but the Spirit.

Romans 13:8-10

8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

C

Crazy4GODword

Sorry friend

May GOD be with you

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
yes, as loveschild said,this garbage drives people away from Christ in droves.the stupid things that some demoninations teach is amazing.have they ever read the New Tsetament?

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
There is nothing in the bible to support either of these things... they are just traditions. But they might help to keep the peace with your church. :) Perhaps ask the leaders of the church why they are a teaching this and ask them to explain why biblically.

Dec 19, 2009
Listen for the Holy Spirit and read the Bible. Consider the opinions of others.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
one small thing here.we need to always be considerate of others and walk in love,but if someone or any church,denonination,etc.is wrong about something,then their opinion should not guide our thinking.wrong is wrong.be nice,pray for them,but wrong is wrong.

P

PrincessoftheKing

I think that often times, people start to follow man and not God. This is something that is very easy to start doing and although it seems like we're doing right, it can lead us astray from serving our Lord. We only wear skirts and go to church because that's what everyone else does.
I wear skirts that are below my knee. Not because I think it will get me to Heaven but because I believe Christian women should be set apart from the women of the world. I like to keep my hair somewhat longer, because it's more feminine. I try to have a meek and quiet spirit and focus on internal appearance rather than my external appearance.
I used to be like this just because my Baptist church said so. But when it comes down to it, I cant depend on my church. It is up to me to establish my convictions in my own heart and do what God leads me to do. Having a closer relationship with God has shown me that although it's important to present yourself in a Christian manner by the you talk, dress, walk, act, etc is important. It is much more important that you have given your heart to God and willing to serve and glorify Him. :) ♥

C

Credo_ut_Intelligam

Apparently some would like to tell you that you have to figure out which thoughts in your head ("this is man's law" vs. "this is God's law") are God's thoughts rather than your own.

But the truth is, you have to go to Scripture and see that it teaches the principle of modesty and then intelligently apply that to your life. You do this by looking at your community and discerning what that community considers immodest and then reasoning through that: why might they be correct or why might they be incorrect. Then go to Scripture and see that it teaches we should not give unnecessary offense. Then intelligently apply that principle to your life. Will the community be unnecessarily offended if you decide that their standards of modesty are too strict?

If you decide that one of your thoughts = God's thought, you'll end up just like the legalist who thinks women have to wear skirts because they think non-skirts are offensive and their thoughts on the matter = God's thoughts.