Conveniently Overlooked

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Oops sorry Jaumej.. I went off topic.. forgive me.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I find myself doing the same, it is an oily walk......but we will muddle through. Yahweh bless you always...

Oops sorry Jaumej.. I went off topic.. forgive me.

Dec 4, 2017
The handwritten requirement was a covenant, or an agreement, Failure to fulfill your side of the agreement (in this case, to confirm and obey EVERY WORD) would bring about the punishment for not living up to your end of the agreement,

according to scripture. Failure to live up to your end would be one sin, no matter how small that sin may be, the penalty was to be cursed. Jesus took that curse for us, by hanging on the cross.

A marriage proposal does not have requirements, it has pledges. One pledge (according to God) is that you are married forever no matter what (He did not support divorce, however, since men was going to do it anyway, He gave them permission but only in certain cases, and non allowed anyone to be married to another. That would be sin.
I suppose that would be true for some.
Though there are two men that i know of that remained pure in their intentions toward our Heavenly Father.

Something about the hardness of the heart leading to destruction leaves little room to debate when the blood on the soil cries out.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Lol.. FALSE

The commands are summed up in two commands, your right, LOVE

We love BECAUSE God loved us first,

The law does not tell us this. The law says do not do this, do not do that. It does not tell us HOW not to do this or that, It was not given for that purpose
Duet. 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

How do I choose life?

20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Looks like God's Instructions do include loving Him.

Lev. 19:10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.

Looks like God's Laws also include compassion on the stranger.

Lev. 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

Here is another of God's Law that instructs us how to deal with a brother.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Here is another part of God's Law that instructs us to love our neighbor as our self.

This is why Paul said.

Rom. 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, (Faith but no obedience) but the doers of the law shall be justified.(Faith shown by works of obedience)

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
What was nailed was the curse of the law. If the curse of the law (The handwritten requirements which was against us and contrary to us and against us, was taken out of the way)

if we are still under law. We are still under the curse.
What part of God's 10 Commandments are #1. "Handwritten" and#2. "Against us"?

E

eternally-gratefull

What part of God's 10 Commandments are #1. "Handwritten" and#2. "Against us"?
The part that Moses made the children of Isreal confirm an oath that they will OBEY every word.

The two tablets are in the ark of the covenant, On the day of atonement, the priest covered the ark so the cherub could not see the two tablets. (And also the manna and rod,)

why did the blood need to over so the judges could not see the tablets?

Do you even understand the law your trying to impose on people?

E

eternally-gratefull

Duet. 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

How do I choose life?

20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Looks like God's Instructions do include loving Him.

Lev. 19:10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.

Looks like God's Laws also include compassion on the stranger.

Lev. 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

Here is another of God's Law that instructs us how to deal with a brother.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Here is another part of God's Law that instructs us to love our neighbor as our self.

This is why Paul said.

Rom. 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, (Faith but no obedience) but the doers of the law shall be justified.(Faith shown by works of obedience)

Have you fulfilled the law?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We love BECAUSE God loved us first
Yes, indeed, but taken out of context. We are discussing the Law of Love.
The law does not tell us this. The law says do not do this, do not do that.
And do you know why? Because each time you violate the Ten Commandments, you violate the Law of Love. I already mentioned this but I will bring the Scripture back so we all understand how the two are connected.

8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. (Rom 13:8-10)

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. (James 2:8-12).
It does not tell us HOW not to do this or that, It was not given for that purpose

Actually you have a serious misunderstanding here. While the "how" is not presented in the book of Exodus, it is presented in other Scriptures which refer to the New Covenant.

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Ezek 36:25-27) ["Spirit" should have been capitaliszed]

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer 31:31-33)

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people (Heb 8:8-10)

Last edited:
E

eternally-gratefull

Yes, indeed, but taken out of context. We are discussing the Law of Love.And do you know why? Because each time you violate the Ten Commandments, you violate the Law of Love. I already mentioned this but I will bring the Scripture back so we all understand how the two are connected.

8Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. (Rom 13:8-10)

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. (James 2:8-12).

Actually you have a serious misunderstanding here. While the "how" is not presented in the book of Exodus, it is presented in other Scriptures which refer to the New Covenant.

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Ezek 36:25-27)

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer 31:31-33)

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people (Heb 8:8-10)

You still have it backwards, I can violate the law of love and NOT break any of the commands. if I look at a woman with lust, I have not broken a command, Yet jesus said I have commited adultry. If I know to do right, and do not do it because I am selfish, I have not broken any of the ten.

I can go on and on and on.

The problem is that the ten commands are not a complete list. It is just a small sample. Yet a large enough sample to do what it needed to do. To confirm we ALL HAVE SINNED.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The problem is that the ten commands are not a complete list. It is just a small sample.
Now you have it backwards.

Which commandments were written in stone by the finger of God?

Which commandments were summed up by the two greatest commandments?

Can all the other commandments in the Torah be traced right back to the Ten Commandments?

Can the Law of Christ be traced right back to the Ten Commandments?

Once you answer these questions for yourself, the light will come on.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
The part that Moses made the children of Isreal confirm an oath that they will OBEY every word.

The two tablets are in the ark of the covenant, On the day of atonement, the priest covered the ark so the cherub could not see the two tablets. (And also the manna and rod,)

why did the blood need to over so the judges could not see the tablets?

Do you even understand the law your trying to impose on people?
More deflection. Why don't you just answer the question? How are the 10 Commandments "Rudiments of the World, "Traditions of men" that are "against us"

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us ".

You rest your entire doctrine on the preaching that God's 10 Commandments are of the World, of man, and are simply "handwriting of ordinances" that are against us.

I don't believe this scripture is speaking about the 10 Commandments. For one, God's commandments are not of the world, they are not traditions of men, and they are not against us. I know mainstream preachers of today teach this, but it doesn't jive with the rest of God's Word.

E

eternally-gratefull

Now you have it backwards.

Which commandments were written in stone by the finger of God?

Which commandments were summed up by the two greatest commandments?

Can all the other commandments in the Torah be traced right back to the Ten Commandments?

Can the Law of Christ be traced right back to the Ten Commandments?

Once you answer these questions for yourself, the light will come on.
Your the one who needs the light turned on my friend, I already proved my point by showing what jesus said about just thinking about a woman.

There are more than ten commands, there are many commands, failure to keep any of those commands would be sin. You want to leave it at just ten/. Well all I can say to this is stop watering down the law.

E

eternally-gratefull

More deflection. Why don't you just answer the question? How are the 10 Commandments "Rudiments of the World, "Traditions of men" that are "against us"

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us ".

You rest your entire doctrine on the preaching that God's 10 Commandments are of the World, of man, and are simply "handwriting of ordinances" that are against us.

I don't believe this scripture is speaking about the 10 Commandments. For one, God's commandments are not of the world, they are not traditions of men, and they are not against us. I know mainstream preachers of today teach this, but it doesn't jive with the rest of God's Word.

Your the one deflection. I gave you what moses said, and paul confirmed in Gal 3. And seen in Deuteronomy right after the commands were given to the children of Isreal.

You can deflect and ignore it all you want, but scripture proves you wrong.

As paul said, if you want to be under the law. You are under a curse. PERIOD. You better obey every word.

The levitical law is not the curse. It was the temporary ANSWER to the curse.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
=eternally-gratefull;3376199]
You still have it backwards, I can violate the law of love and NOT break any of the commands. if I look at a woman with lust, I have not broken a command, Yet jesus said I have commited adultry. If I know to do right, and do not do it because I am selfish, I have not broken any of the ten.

It is against God's Commandments to look on the nakedness of your sister, brothers wife, etc.

Prov. 6:
24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

It is a law of God not to lust after other women. Jesus didn't make this up, He got it from the same place He got the rest of His teaching. God's Word.

I can go on and on and on.
JESUS DIDN'T CREATE HIS OWN LAWS LIKE THE MAINSTREAM PREACHERS OF HIS TIME.

The problem is that the ten commands are not a complete list. It is just a small sample. Yet a large enough sample to do what it needed to do. To confirm we ALL HAVE SINNED.
Jesus said ALL the Law and prophets rest on these Commandments. So if you are obedient to these, you are obedient to Him in all things. If you reject these, you reject Him in all things. That is what James was speaking about.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Your the one deflection. I gave you what moses said, and paul confirmed in Gal 3. And seen in Deuteronomy right after the commands were given to the children of Isreal.

You can deflect and ignore it all you want, but scripture proves you wrong.

As paul said, if you want to be under the law. You are under a curse. PERIOD. You better obey every word.

The levitical law is not the curse. It was the temporary ANSWER to the curse.
You just completely blew off the entire point of my post and then accused me of deflection. LOL, I know it's uncomfortable. It was for me when I used to defend the undefendable.

E

eternally-gratefull

It is against God's Commandments to look on the nakedness of your sister, brothers wife, etc.

Prov. 6:
24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

It is a law of God not to lust after other women. Jesus didn't make this up, He got it from the same place he got the rest of His teaching. God's Word.

JESUS DIDN'T CREATE HIS OWN LAWS LIKE THE MAINSTREAM PREACHERS OF HIS TIME.

Jesus said ALL the Law and prophets rest on these Commandments. So if you are obedient to these, you are obedient to Him in all things. If you reject these, you reject Him in all things. That is what James was speaking about.

Proverbs 6 is not a part of the ten commands. Not to mention (typical of you you did not post it all) proverbs 6 is concerning a seductress, or evil woman. Not all women.

So not only do You need to stop and make up your mind. (Th context is the ten commands) Context proves you wrong.

E

eternally-gratefull

You just completely blew off the entire point of my post and then accused me of deflection. LOL, I know it's uncomfortable. It was for me when I used to defend the undefendable.

You deflected first. I put you back on track.

Nice try,,

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
There are more than ten commands, there are many commands, failure to keep any of those commands would be sin. You want to leave it at just ten/. Well all I can say to this is stop watering down the law.
Can't you grasp a simple concept? Try tracing every commandment back to the Ten Commandments, which are the bedrock of all the others.

Let's take a simple example.If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. (Exodus 22:1).

If a man shall steal an ox...he shall restore

Where did this originate?

Thou shalt not steal

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house... nor his ox

Now take all 613 commands and trace them back to the Ten.

Now take the first four and match then with total love for God.

Then take the next six and match them with genuine love for neighbor.

Then put them all into the the Law of Christ.

If you still refuse to accept this, then it is simply wilful blindness (for which there is no remedy).

E

eternally-gratefull

Can't you grasp a simple concept? Try tracing every commandment back to the Ten Commandments, which are the bedrock of all the others.

Let's take a simple example.If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. (Exodus 22:1).

If a man shall steal an ox...he shall restore

Where did this originate?

Thou shalt not steal

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house... nor his ox

Now take all 613 commands and trace them back to the Ten.

Now take the first four and match then with total love for God.

Then take the next six and match them with genuine love for neighbor.

Then put them all into the the Law of Christ.

If you still refuse to accept this, then it is simply wilful blindness (for which there is no remedy).

Lol. If I know to do right and do not do it. Where does that trace back?

If I do not love my enemy is a sin, Trace that back to the ten?

Forgive others as I have forgiven you, failure to do so is a sin, trace that back to ten.

Not to pay taxes to any government, even if they are the enemy, jesus said was a sin, trace that back to the ten.

I can think of many more.. If your focused on just the ten, You may think yourself righteous when you are not (that was the problem of the jew who thought he was righteous also.

Jan 25, 2015
I wonder if any of the followers of the law keep Purim?

For the cause of Christ
Roger
The first point of order is to determine if you are a Jew or not?

Then maybe we should investigate if the original day was what you think it is now...........