Crisis of Faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

histhroughfaith

I'm a Christian, lover of God, crazy for Christ..but lately, I've been experiencing some extreme anxieties and fear about it all being a lie. I know I still believe and follow, but then pain eats at me that I have so little faith or I might not be with my Jesus when I die. I get scared when little thoughts creep inside my head, telling me scary things. "God isn't real" or "If Islam is right, you're going to hell" or "If there's no life after death, there's isn't a point in living". It's truly terrifying. I just want to shake these fears and be confident again. It's a shame I'm scared. It's a shame I have so little faith that it's hard to believe if God has to prove Himself to me. I really need some help before I go insane..

C

Crimeny

Do not worry bud, i struggled with this for a couple of months and yes it is extremely annoying and frustrating when you hear that voice and you just wanna say stop it no its not true.

Let me tell you, whats happening is that you hear the word but the enemy tries to take it away, and then he tries to lie to you.

The only way i sort of overcame this was just constantly praying everyday and asking Jesus to take my fears and anxieties away. See the reason why I failed so long is because I was trying to do this by myself and I was not asking God for help. Throw your trouble on Jesus, he can handle it and really he will comfort you. Be still and know the Lord is with you, because you are saved by his grace and love, if anything, just remember God and ask him, talk to him about the pain because I know its very hard to open up and once Jesus sort of prodded me to open up I screwed up in my pride and said things I shouldn't, but I still give thanks because the pain is overcome.

You can overcome too bud, don't fear anyone but God and Jesus, ask Jesus to increase your faith and to help you grow and love. I know that if legalism is also a problem for you, just remember Gods grace and ask him to put you in good soil because right now its hard and the word sort of escapes you.

May you overcome and I have confidence that the Lord will help you achieve, just throw yourself on him :)

I hope and will pray you have peace come upon you, and that you can find the hope to get you through this.

N

NinJaGGS

Daily we must take up the cross of doubt... Demons whisper things into our ears, sometimes we arent sure who said this thing that repeats in my mind "God is not real" it may sound like your voice but demons are tricky. They hook you in one way or another so that you begin to loose your peace, the peace of the Holy Spirit leaves because we choose to look at these false ideas in our minds that have been put there by demonic forces. Feel no guilt at fighting the war of Peace. Guilt and Shame are mere excuses to avoid True Metanoia, or Repentance which litterally means "change of mind" so... repent.... and Change your Mind!! :) God bless you and all that you do!

C

crissy17

I think we all seek someone who cares about us enough to save us from life or ourselves. Faith is a funny thing if you have a little bit it can grow because if you trust God with the small things in your life, He will take care of all of the big things too. I know you hear that the " bible tells me" a lot but, what if God does love you enough to send His only Son Jesus to earth so that He could know just what you face everyday, then when He had walked the earth, He hung Him on a cross to pay for you sins. Now does that sound like someone who doesn't love you so much. He died so that you don't have to pay for the wrongs that you do, you just ask the Father God to forgive you and it is done..
But in order for you to find true peace you first have to believe or have faith the size of a mustard seed, that is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.... So you can choose to find God in the little things that are in your life or you can want a heavenly host to come and sing to you If you step out in faith I think God will show you the good in your life. But He is not going to do a big show for you to invite you to follow Him. He just quietly give you the invitation, and say follow me. I will be praying that you choose the light of Jesus not out of fear of hell but because you want to feel the warm love of Jesus in your heart. .
If there is no God, no heaven, no life after death, then living by the rules laid down in the bible are still a very good way to live..The Bible tells us "If we draw near to God, He will draw near to us" (James 4:8).

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I'm a Christian, lover of God, crazy for Christ..but lately, I've been experiencing some extreme anxieties and fear about it all being a lie. I know I still believe and follow, but then pain eats at me that I have so little faith or I might not be with my Jesus when I die. I get scared when little thoughts creep inside my head, telling me scary things. "God isn't real" or "If Islam is right, you're going to hell" or "If there's no life after death, there's isn't a point in living". It's truly terrifying. I just want to shake these fears and be confident again. It's a shame I'm scared. It's a shame I have so little faith that it's hard to believe if God has to prove Himself to me. I really need some help before I go insane..
You're not going insane...welcome to the human condition :)

Satan has been whispering in our ears since The Garden that God' isn't really loving'...or 'He's keeping something from you'....or worse 'He's non-existent'.

Something I learned a few years ago (the hard way) is that you have to fight for your faith. It CAN and WILL BE taken from you by the devil if you let him. Everything worth keeping is worth fighting for.

Paul talks about staying in the race and fighting for good. Look at his life...it was no bed of roses. He was willing to be in 'the fight' between good and evil; a battle that takes place on this earth every single day in every human life.

How do you 'fight'? Stay in the Word, take every thought captive, think about what you are thinking, openly reject wrong thinking. Be PROACTIVE in your spiritual growth.

You are young and new to the Christian faith so satan will be very aggressive with you. You need to know his tactics!

Here are some good books that can help...don't be afraid of learning from books written by spiritual people...they can be IMMENSELY helpful:

"Know Why You Believe" by Paul Little
"Every Thought Captive" Richard Pratt
"Battlefield of the Mind For Teens" Joyce Meyer

Stay in the fight, sweetie; You are greatly Loved :)

Last edited:
H

histhroughfaith

I appreciate all the responses and encouragement. It does help a lot, even though temporary. I keep asking God to help me and He does for a while. I feel fine afterwards but then it comes back and is more stressful than ever. I need to be with my Jesus when I die and everything else is scary.

K

Kyouken01

I need to be with my Jesus when I die and everything else is scary.
I don't know if you've ever looked at it this way, but think about this:

The worst thing in the entire universe that could happen to you is that you die. And to be honest, dying isn't even a bad thing (I'm excluding the physical act of death) because you get to be up in heaven with God :D

In light of heaven, what's to come for you (glorified body, mansion, etc.), heck, even here on earth, with the here and now, no one is going to snatch you from your Father's hand. Well, no one CAN do that. Your salvation is tighter than super glue. <-- That stuff doesn't come off, really. Ever glue your fingers together? Not fun :p

You've got this because He's got you in His hand. The war is won, and you're on the victor's side with Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

Have a good week!

Calmador

Jun 23, 2011

God does exist and there is a point in living and Islam doesnt have a Jesus Christ to save you from hell.

Read these scriptures =]

Romans 8

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,[a] who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Sonship Through the Spirit

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
From Suffering to Glory

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[b] with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
God’s Everlasting Love

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall bring a charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written:
“For Your sake we are killed all day long;
We are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”[c]

37 Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I appreciate all the responses and encouragement. It does help a lot, even though temporary. I keep asking God to help me and He does for a while. I feel fine afterwards but then it comes back and is more stressful than ever. I need to be with my Jesus when I die and everything else is scary.

What exactly are you dealing with? I'm not trying to be nosy but details do help.

shawntc

May 7, 2010
I know what it's like to doubt. The thing is, in the churches we're not given much more than "have faith in God..." when sometimes what we really need good solid information.

If I can provide a little help. You can be sure that Jesus was a real person. Even most historians, regardless of religion and philosophy, will agree that he was real. The resurrection is a historically reliable event. There's great reason to believe that the Gospels are accurate and that what they contain are accurate, especially the resurrection.

Jesus is mentioned by 39 sources outside of the Bible. One of them even tries to account for the empty tomb by saying the disciples stole the body, which is ludicrous because they would have to overpower Roman guards, then they spent the rest of their lives suffering and dying for what, if they really stole the body, was just a lie. Which is totally inconsistent with their personalities. Right before the crucifixion, they ran away and Peter denied he knew Jesus. No other theory to account for the empty tomb other than resurrection has been able to satisfactorily explain the emptiness. Plus, the Gospels were written between AD 60-95. The resurrection took place in Jerusalem just before Passover. That's a ton of people. The Gospels and Acts record 35 years of history. Surely during all this time, if the story of Jesus were fake, there would have been people who would be able to disprove it and Christianity would have stopped right there. But nobody spoke up. The most likely explanation: it's all true.

It would be good to tell God about this. Ask him to strengthen your faith. Also, ask him to reveal himself to you. And when he does, through answered prayer or interesting events or what have you, be sure to write it down somewhere. Nothing like writing down a list of ways God has interacted with you to build faith.

I haven't researched other religions to much detail, but I'm confident Islam is not real. The Quran contains several contradictions in it. It goes so far to say that Jesus wasn't crucified. That implies that Jesus was in fact a real person.

R

rainacorn

There is no fear in love.

Live your life for God and He will take care of the rest.

H

histhroughfaith

What exactly are you dealing with? I'm not trying to be nosy but details do help.
Panic and depression. Small thoughts of nothing after death and Christianity being incorrect are terrifying. (If that's what you were asking for)

B

Brandon777

Panic and depression. Small thoughts of nothing after death and Christianity being incorrect are terrifying. (If that's what you were asking for)
:) how much more details could she give? There were quotes.. lol. Anyway, for you my dear. This is classic testing of faith. This sounds just like the story of Job, where the kingdom of darkness went to God to ask permission to attack Job. And God granted permission to test his faith. This is up to you. We can encourage you, but the decision will always be yours. You wouldn't have come to us if you didn't want some help gaining some faith back, so I'll help the way I know how. I considered what you told us, and I want you to think about it. You are terrified and frightened by these thoughts right? That is a BAD thing. Insanity is a BAD thing. Demons plant seeds of doubt, thoughts out of the blue, just like you described. It is horrifying and disturbing. This is to be expected for a Christian to experience, even if this IS your first time. I've had mine, and I've gone past it. I pray you cling to the love of Christ as you know best to do. This is when you show if you truely do want to be a disciple to the miracle working, grace giving, love spreading Christ our King!

W

Willot

Well, I went through a phase somewhat like this and it lead to me becoming a humanistic nihilistic atheistic agnostic (if that makes sense) Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot more words that need to go on the end of that. I'm not trying to wear away at anyone's faith here, but if you have doubts, question them. Why are you having these doubts etc etc. Go do some research into the doubts you're having! Just please don't shrug them off. And even more, don't think they're demons!

Oh and by the way, the first term I used (Humanistic nihilistic atheistic agnostic) basically means (In layman's terms) I believe in the human effort over a deity, I don't believe that there is a purpose to life, and I'm an agnostic atheist because I don't hold a belief in a deity but I also don't believe that one can be proven or disproven.

If you have any questions, then feel free to ask (just know that I'm not trying to be condescending in anyway about this lol)

N

NinJaGGS

These trials will purify your soul of corruption so that you may enter into perfect love with God