Dead Sea Scrolls!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Grey

I got to see four fragments of some of the dead sea scrolls at the Minnesota Science Museum. Very very old! They are the oldest existing fragments of the old testament. (from the museum director) Each fragment got its own first class seat and once on the ground was transported to the Science Museum by way of handcuffed security guard. :D

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I like that the dead sea scrolls old testament find.. confirmed the OT hadn't changed for I think it was 2000 years. Confirms that the translation we have now is sound.. and reliable.

People were not certain that the OT we have now was a sound translation, because they hadn't found an earlier OT that was closer to the events they purport. Then with the dead sea scrolls.. they found one that was far closer to the events.. that said the same thing as the current OT translation.

:)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I would love to see them. Are they moving from museum to museum?
It would be like seeing the handwriting of God, first edition!
God bless, pickles

Aug 16, 2009
I like that the dead sea scrolls old testament find.. confirmed the OT hadn't changed for I think it was 2000 years. Confirms that the translation we have now is sound.. and reliable.

People were not certain that the OT we have now was a sound translation, because they hadn't found an earlier OT that was closer to the events they purport. Then with the dead sea scrolls.. they found one that was far closer to the events.. that said the same thing as the current OT translation.

:)
Hi Wattie,
I've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get a firm "handle" on the role that the Dead Sea Scrolls perform with regard to the ongoing debate about critical texts and majority texts and soforth and whatnot.
I'd appreciate if some knowledgeable CC member could help me out in this regard. Thank you.
KayCee

S

Slepsog4

The dead sea scrolls confirm the accuracy of the OT, they do little if anything for the NT.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Hi Wattie,
I've been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get a firm "handle" on the role that the Dead Sea Scrolls perform with regard to the ongoing debate about critical texts and majority texts and soforth and whatnot.
I'd appreciate if some knowledgeable CC member could help me out in this regard. Thank you.
KayCee
Woo critical texturalism.. that's more a scholarly work than a layman's. Not all dead sea scrolls are Biblical (Heb), but the ones that are gives us an extra assurance of scrolls a millenia older than the ones we have. and the large collection from the 11 or so caves does not imply they are the work of this group of people.

anyhow, I'll leave it to the scholars, mind you, you had me heading to my dictionaries lol. I am sure there are some good scholarly works online about the Dead Sea Scroll's, personally, I never truly trust what I read online, especially 'wikipedia'. best to buy some books on the subject.

in Love

Phil