Dealing with people who treat your faith as a mental illness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LiseStubbs

I'm 21, and I have many friends with varying degrees of faith. Whether it be faith in Islam, faith in Judaism or, like me in Christianity. We never have issues about our beliefs, we don't judge one another on them. Though there are times when a non-believer will come into our group and begin to treat us as though there is something mentally wrong with us just because we believe in a God.

I once had to defend one of my female Islamic friends because she was being harassed about her choice to wear a hijab. The person would walk by her in the halls and attempt to pull it of her head, always saying that she was in Canada and wasn't a slave anymore.

I personally was harassed by someone because I was reading a bible on the subway.

What experience have your dealt with because of "ignorant" non-believers whether it be personal to you or a friends struggle.

A

agirlandherguitar

Personally whenever somebody tries to make me feel like I'm crazy for believing in an imaginary "sky monkey" (actual words somebody used) I usually nod and say, "You're right. The whole concept of God is completely crazy. I guess that makes me crazy!" And then I bless them in my head and carry on with my crazy life. It feels good to be crazy.

For the record, the "crazy" count from my post is now 6.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I'm 21, and I have many friends with varying degrees of faith. Whether it be faith in Islam, faith in Judaism or, like me in Christianity. We never have issues about our beliefs, we don't judge one another on them. Though there are times when a non-believer will come into our group and begin to treat us as though there is something mentally wrong with us just because we believe in a God.

I once had to defend one of my female Islamic friends because she was being harassed about her choice to wear a hijab. The person would walk by her in the halls and attempt to pull it of her head, always saying that she was in Canada and wasn't a slave anymore.

I personally was harassed by someone because I was reading a bible on the subway.

What experience have your dealt with because of "ignorant" non-believers whether it be personal to you or a friends struggle.
What a hero. :p I think I'd like to keep an effervescent tablet handy. That way whenever I'm accused of being mentally ill I can start foaming at the mouth and shouting Gospel passages.

F

FAITHFULGILLIAN

Great topic. I think intolerance is a cancer in human society, whatever the source. In my vision of Christianity, love and compassion for others are paramount. Christians who want to impose their beliefs on others are as alien to me as atheists who want to trample on the rights of Christians to freely celebrate their faith. Some atheists preen themselves on their enlightenment and supposed moral superiority over those of faith but then display the very bigotry and aggression which they claim are the hallmarks of religion.

Oct 31, 2011

God created and operates our world, God has the say so. God says He is love, and we are to express it toward everyone in our family. God goes on and on about not harming others in any way, that He has equal love for every single one of His creation, those true to Him and those who aren't.

However!!! When it comes to sin, God draws the line. That is why God sent His son. When it comes to other Gods, the Creator says He will get rid of all who follow them so there will be blood in the streets. God is all for giving love, God wants people who follow those other Gods to come to Him and will accept them with open arms. But you still need to be aware of how the One who created you and operates the world you live in feels about these things.

You are living right in the center of this. What a challenge! The Hebrews of the OT lived in this, too. God gave many instructions about treating them fairly and kindly, but if they or their way of life threaned God's family, God said they were dead already in their whoredom of going after other Gods, and God was merciless in protecting His own.

Apr 29, 2013
Because you believe in something that's not real and has no evidence of being real. This is called ' Delusion '.

S

Siberian_Khatru

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"

Aristocat's approach is also viable. :p

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

all i know is to love all unconditionally as Christ loved and loves me, letting all have free choice and not downing them in it no matter what choice they make, except the only time I will stop anothers free choice is when I see another harming another in their free choice. I think what god gets truly mad at is when other(s) take away free chopice as harming the other as was in Sodom and Gemorah, and in the time of Noah

S

Siberian_Khatru

He also spoke of how the world would hate you/us, as it hated Him. Mockery, cynicism, and persecution are to be expected. But all Biblical references aside, I've experienced firsthand how differently things go when you wear your kid gloves with this kind of behavior from others.