Demons...and possession-y questions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harley_Angel

Okay, I've got a long standing fear of demonic possession. I watched the exorcism of Emily Rose one time, and I literally nearly needed to go change my pants. It's time for me to educate myself with the help of Christians rather than Hollywood. Seriously, I have a re-occuring nightmare all the time that I'm casting out demons in Jesus's name around this house, and there is this one room and the demon is so strong I can't make it leave and I wake up terrified and sweating. It's time for me to get over this fear.

I would like to know what demonic posession is, does it still happen today, if not why, if so how, and why are there so many references to demonic possession in the Bible? Aren't they referring to mental illnesses? If they refer to mental illness, why do the demons talk, and how come Jesus drove them into a herd of pigs instead of sending them to hell?

Pretty much anything you can tell me about demons and possession would be super!

M

motojojo

I've seen demon possessed people, I've heard them talk and all the stuff that holly wood wants you to believe is true, but they didn't tell you about the fear of GOD, He makes all that stuff childs play, Yes God is big time fear.

M

motojojo

Sounds like your going to do some spiritual warfare, just be prayed up and know that your LORD can drive them back or out. Why did Christ drive them into the pigs it was not there time, I guess to be locked up. l

Jul 17, 2009
Okay, I've got a long standing fear of demonic possession. I watched the exorcism of Emily Rose one time, and I literally nearly needed to go change my pants. It's time for me to educate myself with the help of Christians rather than Hollywood. Seriously, I have a re-occuring nightmare all the time that I'm casting out demons in Jesus's name around this house, and there is this one room and the demon is so strong I can't make it leave and I wake up terrified and sweating. It's time for me to get over this fear.

I would like to know what demonic posession is, does it still happen today, if not why, if so how, and why are there so many references to demonic possession in the Bible? Aren't they referring to mental illnesses? If they refer to mental illness, why do the demons talk, and how come Jesus drove them into a herd of pigs instead of sending them to hell?

Pretty much anything you can tell me about demons and possession would be super!

Here are some interesting podcasts on the subject.

Insanity Or Demonic Possession?
Illumined Heart
06/19/09 After years of questions from concerned friends and loved ones about whether someone suffered from insanity or demonic posession (and how to discern the difference between the two), the sisters of St Barbara Monastery (OCA; Santa Paula, CA) turned to the patristic Church Fathers for answers. In this episode of…

Gergesene Demoniac
Frederica Here and Now
03/04/09 In this episode, Frederica discusses the importance of the unknown man whose demons were cast into pigs by Jesus. This tormented individual went on to preach that Christ is indeed the Messiah.

Gergesene Demoniac—A Postscript
Frederica Here and Now
03/12/09 Frederica adds a quick final thought to her discussion of the Gergesene Demoniac.

The Demons and the Swine
Speaking the Truth
12/02/08 Fr. Tom expounds on one of the most difficult passages in the New Testament.

Angels and Demons
Speaking the Truth
11/15/08 Who are the angels and the demons? Were the demons created evil? Can they repent? Get the answer to these questions and much more in this current episode.

Does God Love The Devil And The Demons Like He Loves Us?
Hearts and Minds
01/21/09 Fr. John answers a question at once innocent and terrifying.

The Name of Jesus (Acts 5:12-30)
All Saints Homilies
05/04/08 The book of Acts teaches us about the name of Jesus as spoken to God, as spoken to our fellow men, and as spoken to demons. (17:00)

God and Science - Part 3: Science and Demons
Faith and Philosophy
12/01/07 Dr. Carlton compares the Orthodox view of demons with that of Hollywood and that of science.

Jesus and the Demons
Pastoral Ponderings
11/11/07

G

Graybeard

I think this is one of those subjects people get all spooked about and very likely due to Hollywood. However I believe very much that we cannot ignore them or take them lightly as demons are fallen angels which are real deals and are just as much here today as they where then:
1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons...
we are in the latter days, no doubt about it.
I do not profess to know much about them but enough I think to know that the Bible kids not.
Your dreams most probably are just that, what is in your subconscious together with your fears are making a base for evil spirits to build on, according to what you say you may already have a spirit of fear, but fear not! (excuse the pun:D) because:

Rom 8:15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."

2Ti 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

so what to do..well for a start I would stay far away from movies that have anything to do with satanic acts/demons etc, all they do is feed your mind with fear and untruths, next and maybe the most important is to follow these instructions:

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
Eph 6:15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
Eph 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
Eph 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—

G

Graybeard

how come Jesus drove them into a herd of pigs instead of sending them to hell?
Jesus drove the demons into the pigs because the demons themselves begged Him to send them into the pigs:
Luk 8:31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.
Luk 8:32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them.
Luk 8:33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.
I think it shows Jesus even had compassion(maybe not the right word) for the demons by not sending them into the abyss, besides, I am sure Jesus knew very well the pigs where going to throw themselves over the cliff so where did they then go?....I like to think TO THE ABYSS:D

A

Aliciaforjesus

Jesus drove the demons into the pigs because the demons themselves begged Him to send them into the pigs:
Luk 8:31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss.
Luk 8:32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them.
Luk 8:33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned.
I think it shows Jesus even had compassion(maybe not the right word) for the demons by not sending them into the abyss, besides, I am sure Jesus knew very well the pigs where going to throw themselves over the cliff so where did they then go?....I like to think TO THE ABYSS:D
I think they went into the towns people,
The whole city was full of fear and begged Jesus to leave.

M

MaggieMye

I would like to know what demonic possession is, Demonic Possession is when demonic spirits OWN or completely control a person. It happens when a person willingly invites spirits into them (usually so the person can have supernatural power), knowinly or not. Demons can never control a person without that person's permission. (The Gadarene demoniac came to Jesus, the demons, legends of demons, could not stop the man from seeking Jesus and freedom. Demonic POssession is very rare in the US, but much more common in the tribes of Africa, South America, Australia, etc.
Christians are OWNED/POsessed by Holy Spirit and Christians cannot be POsessed by demons. However Christians can be OPpressed, which is to say INFLUENCED by demonic spirits. While demons cannot Own a Christian, a Christian CAN own a demon and have it residing in their soul and physical body. Hence the need for deliverance! In truth, there is not a person born that does not need deliverance because of all of the generational issues and iniquity (propensity to sin that comes down through the bloodline of a person...ever wonder WHY doctors ask what is in your family medical history??) that each person is born with…these are 'generational curses' and can be broken off by confessing the behavior as sin and then taking one's authority in Christ and speaking out that the curse is cancelled in the name of Jesus. does it still happen today, if not why, if so how, and why are there so many references to demonic possession in the Bible? There are so many references to it because God wants us to KNOW that it is a REAL thing and that it is important that we understand that everyone can get free from influences/spirits from the kingdom of darkness. Aren't they referring to mental illnesses? IMO, most, if not all mentally illnesses are rooted in the kingdom of darkness, and are brought on by demons of fear and pride, (some of which enter children when they are abused). We know that God makes no imperfect thing, right? So if that is true, when a person becomes ill, mentally or physically, it is at the hands of demons, sent by satan to both distract us and prohibit us from fulfilling the destiny plan that God created for each of us. If they refer to mental illness, why do the demons talk, 'talking to us…invading our thought process… is the MOST used tactic of demons. Scripture tells us about a 'lying spirit'
http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=lying%20spirit&version1=9&searchtype=all . Lies are made up of words or thoughts. While they cannot hear OUR thoughts, we are bombarded with the temptations and wicked thinking that they bring to us constantly. (Which is why we are to hold every thought captive to the Word of God, checking it to see if it lines up with His character and love.) So, if they cannot hear our thoughts, how do they know if they are effective? They watch, they listen. When a person acts upon a unkind or wicked thought, then the demon knows it has been effective. And of course, if we do these things and do not repent, then we have willingly opened the door to our soul and body for that spirit to enter. When we speak unkind things or lies, the demon knows it's been effective. When we RECOGNIZE a demon as trying to influence us, we can COMMAND it to leave in the name of Jesus and then begin praising God for His goodness!! And remember, to command a spirit to leave and not fill our minds with the word of God, leaves the former home of the spirit (us) swept clean and EMPTY, which allows him to come back with 7 friends, worse than himself.. and how come Jesus drove them into a herd of pigs instead of sending them to hell? Simply, Jesus had mercy on these created beings. Demons need to have a physical body to operate out of. That is why when they are cast out of a person or even an animal, they go seeking a place to rest…the 'place' being another body, preferably human because it us humans that God loves so much.

I hope this has helped. Let me know if you have more questions.
Maggie
Now...about your dream: God is showing you in this dream that there is some aspect of your life that is a STRONG HOLD...which is why in your dream you cannot make it leave. You need to look at the dream and ask yourself...is that I CAN'T make him leave or I'm afraid to make him leave or do I really not want him to leave? This demon evokes fear in you, and most likely it is a demon of fear. So while you are awake, take some time with the Lord and first ask Him if there is anything you need to repent of. If so, confess it as sin and ask for forgiveness and receive it. Then take authority over that spirit: "In the name of Jesus Christ, I cancel your assignment towards me from the kingdom of darkness. I command you to leave at once and never return. I apply the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ to every 'room' and aspect of my life and this she Blood brings the Light of His truth. You are a liar and you no longer have a legal right to be here. In Jesus name, go!" Then ask God to fill you to overflowing with His goodness and His Holy Spirit.
and then.....? YOU GO GIRL!!
Maggie

Apr 23, 2009

When I moved into my house that I now live in there was a spirit of fear here. I felt it when I would go to the restroom in the middle of the night. My wife was afraid to go to bed by herself. I believe the spirit was left behind when the people who lived here before us moved out. The feeling I got is of a abused child fearful of the abuse. I believe there was a child abused in this house at some point, and the spirit of fear possessed the home. My wife and i did cast it out, and now there is a peace in here that was not here before. She nor myself fell the fear we once did in here.

Possessions are real they still occur, but we have power over all the works of the enemy through the name and blood of Christ.

M

MaggieMye

Houses are not possessed. They are occupied. Demons cannot OWN houses. The people that OWN the house, possess the house and have all authority over, in and throughout the house.
It would be a good idea to, if you haven't already, consecrate your apartment, house, lot and/or land to the Lord by walking the border and praying and thanking Him for it and consecrating it to His purposes.
Maggie

Apr 23, 2009
Houses are not possessed. They are occupied. Demons cannot OWN houses. The people that OWN the house, possess the house and have all authority over, in and throughout the house.
It would be a good idea to, if you haven't already, consecrate your apartment, house, lot and/or land to the Lord by walking the border and praying and thanking Him for it and consecrating it to His purposes.
Maggie
O.K. my home was occupied by a spirit of fear, and yes i have already cast the demon out the house, and off the land. I have anointed the home with oil and prayed God's protection over my home and family.

Thank you for your advice :)

M

MaggieMye

Now we should both do our neighborhoods!!

H

Harley_Angel

Awesome thank you guys so much. Oddly enough, I had that dream about casting the demons out again, and when I got to the demon I could cast out, this time I went and sought the help of a priest. When he asked what the demons name was, I told him that it's name was Mother. It's really funny because I don't call my mom, well, mom, I call her mother. She's been struggling with alcohol for a very long time, and it's put a really huge rift between us, so maybe I need to pray to help me forgive her for that.

I appreciate you guys so much helping me overcome my fear. No demon can touch me becasue of got my suit of God armor on!

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
No demon can indwell you because you have the Holy Spirit indwelling you.. when you got saved..

How can a demon co-habitate with the Holy Spirit? Not a chance! Unless you are prepared to argue that the Holy Spirit doesn't have the power to safeguard your soul!

H

Harley_Angel

Yeah that is one arguement I'm not prepared to make at all...nor would i want to make such an arguement.

Sep 2, 2009
youve seen too many movies Harley. sounds like your demon is actually the issues you have with your mother. you dreamed it as a demon because you have a fear of demons. quit being afraid of what cant hurt you. but then of course, you may have a dream of a gigantic bear named "mother" or something?

H

Harley_Angel

Lol, I have a REDICULOUSLY over active imagination because I read tons and tons of books and like to watch movies. Plus, I'm prone to anxiety as it is. Some people are scared of spiders, some people are scared of snakes, my biggest fear is loss of control of myself. I rarely drink because my mother is an alcoholic and I see how out of control of herself she is. The idea that a demon of all things could come in and take control of me was really frightening. It's taken me a long time to even give up control to God, but now that I have, it feels great and my life is slowly coming together and my anxiety is decreasing. Bears, I don't have a problem with bears, though. I've always wanted to learn ninjutsu and hunt a grizzly with nothing but a pack of gum, a coffee mug, and a fork.

S

suaso

I fully believe that people can be under the possession of demons, and that some locations can be "plagued" by demonic spirits. I thank God I haven't had too much experience with this sort of thing personally. I have felt the presence of unholy spirits before, and it isn't a pleasant thing. I know about 6 months before my Confirmation in the Catholic Church, I would constantly have nightmares and wake up at night to the sound of someone/something talking abut me in a whisper to someone/something else. They weren't planning a party for me, that's for sure! I actually remember waking up in the grip of fear one night and I was already half-way through a prayer asking St. Michael the Archangel to come to my aid. St. Michael is pretty good at his job.

This stuff is for real. Just because many people don't believe in it these days doesn't make it any less of a reality. You can bet your life that there's a battle going on for the soul of each and every human being, and the enemy will do what he can to trip us up in life. Be vigilant.

K

Kyra

Harley- great topic thanks for posting.

Maggie- I have a question for you I was contemplating.

You said a person has to give permission to a demon in order to be possessed (I'm paraphrasing but that is the general idea.) Permission meaning sin and/or saying please possess me.
I agree with this principle.

You also said that a child who is abused can be possessed. I also agree with this statement.

So my question is how does a child become possessed? The abuse isn't their choice, they are not choosing to sin.

Maybe it is because they are under the authority of their parents/abusers? Or maybe they are only oppressed until at some point they choose to sin in response? And then they are possessed?

Status
Not open for further replies.