Demons...and possession-y questions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker710

This is very interesting.... I just posted a reply to the "Poll....Anyone?" thread in which I told a story about encountering what I believe to have been a demon in the guise of a man. Or perhaps a man posessed? (Personally, I think it was a demon in the flesh disguised as a man.)

But what I find most interesting is this:

I have a re-occuring nightmare all the time that I'm casting out demons in Jesus's name around this house, and there is this one room and the demon is so strong I can't make it leave and I wake up terrified and sweating.
I've learned that when you dream about a house, you are dreaming about yourself. Your psyche. The attic and upper rooms represent your more spiritual aspects. Going down into the basement is entering the more primal, base aspects of your psyche.... So, the question is, which room are you in when you have this overwhelming feeling? Is it a "spiritual" room? A "primal" room? A room meant for interacting with other people (living room, family room)? A room meant for being alone or being intimate, like a bedroom? A room where you would work, or play? The kind of room it is can be very important. I think your subconscious mind may be trying to tell you about an aspect of your life where you haven't completely invited God to be Lord. I would suggest you examine if this may be the case, and if you decide you want God in this room, spend time visualizing this one particular room, and inviting God into it. Imagine this room filled with light. Filling every crack and crevice. You may have to do this over time, but I believe it will make a difference for you!

I have this repetative dream where I'm exploring an apartment I've decided to move into (but not signed the lease yet). The apartment styles differ, but the recurring theme is that I always expect it to be a slightly small place, yet when I enter it I'm surprised to find that it's 20 times bigger than I expect, and full of rooms. I'm always surprised and excited exploring the rooms, and sooooo anxious to make the place mine. I have no idea what that symbolizes.

Best wishes!

L

Leilaii425

I do not believe in any way shape or form that a child can become possessed because of abuse. If that was the case we would have tons and tons and tons of demon possessed children.... Children are abused all the time.

M

MaggieMye

You said a person has to give permission to a demon in order to be possessed (I'm paraphrasing but that is the general idea.) Permission meaning sin and/or saying please possess me.
I agree with this principle.

You also said that a child who is abused can be possessed. I also agree with this statement. No, what I said was that demons could enter into a child, not that the demons would OWN the child...big difference.

So my question is how does a child become possessed? The abuse isn't their choice, they are not choosing to sin. Trauma whether physical or emotional opens the door in children. It is not their choice, but is forced upon them. The door is opened, and if the child then fears...the situation recurring or holds hatred in their heart towards those responsible for the occurance, it is THAT that invites the demonic spirit in. People perish for lack of knowledge! The early church used to teach the children who they were in Christ and what their authority is.
Another thing we need to remember scripture tells us that when be become born again it is JESUS, not Holy Spirit that resides within us. Holy Spirit is our counselor but does not LIVE in us. He does, however empower those who have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. We say that we are 'filled with the Spirit' when He empowers us because we are filled with His power. But H.S. does not live within us as Jesus does. There is no scriptureal support that says otherwise.

Maybe it is because they are under the authority of their parents/abusers? Or maybe they are only oppressed until at some point they choose to sin in response? And then they are possessed? No, but OPpressed...influenced by, affected by, but not owned.
Maggie

M

MaggieMye

Leilaii425 "I do not believe in any way shape or form that a child can become possessed because of abuse."
NOT POssessed, but OPpressed. If we fear, we have a demon affecting us. If we harbor that fear, we give it license to come in.
We are to work out our salvation with fear (reverance) and trembling...salvation is a process of less and less worldly and demonic and more and more of Jesus IN US.
Maggie

H

Harley_Angel

The room is actually a bedroom. I seriously think it has to do with my mother and her alcoholism. It's something she won't change, and in a way I've always been very very angry with her. My parents missed my confirmation, something that was VERY important to me and that they PROMISED to come to because the night before my mom got drunk and tried to kill herself. Thousands of promises and plans throughout my life have been broken because of my mom's drinking, and nearly all the memories I have of her are ones when she was drunk. She's humiliated me, emotionally abused me, and did whatever she could just to try to make me cry while drinking. Forgiving her for all that pain, and for not even wanting to change something that is going to kill her and has already destroyed her life is very hard. The resentment is seething sometimes. IT's definately an issue I'd like to bring to God, especially with my mother. Thanks for your idea about the dream interpretation thoug.

S

seeker710

This is strange.... I posted a reponse to this thread but it didn't come up......

Forgive me, but I don't want to write the whole thing over again, but I'll give you a brief summary.

I've learned that when you dream about a house, you are dreaming about yourself. Your psyche. The upper rooms, like the attic, represent your more spiritual self. Lower rooms, like a basement, represent your more primal self, and so on.

If you are dreaming about a room where there is a demon you can't drive out, your subconscious mind may be trying to tell you about an aspect of your life where you haven't completely invited God to be your Lord. It's important to consider what kind of room it is. Attic? Basement? A room meant for interacting with other people (living room, family room)? A room meant for isolation, rest, or intimacy (bedroom)? A room meant for work, or for play? What is this room meant for? Therein you may find a conflic. Are you afraid to give God control of this aspect of your life?

If you examine this and find it to be true, you will want to make a conscious, continuous effort to include God, to invite Him into this part of your life. Your daily conscious life. I would also suggest that you spend time visualizing this room, and inviting God into it. Imagine it filling with light, in every crack and crevice. Imagine the demon spirit withering, and the whole place filled with beautiful, bright, warm light. I think if you do this repetatively, it will make a real difference for you!

Let us know how it goes, ay? Keep us informed! This thread has certainly piqued peoples' interests.

H

Harley_Angel

Seeker, your post did show up! it's at the top!

S

seeker710

I see I should have just given it a couple more minutes for my response to show.... Sorry for the repetativeness.

Bedrooms have to do with intimacy....specifically, with TRUST. Definately with your Mom, but probably with others also. Trust in general, you know. And REST. (Rest, peace that comes from safety, from trust) I think you should imagine this room FILLED TO THE BRIM with God's light. Imagine it in the coil springs under the matress. Imagine it going into and around all the clothes in the closet, into the toes of the shoes in the closet, inbetween all the threads in the shoelaces.... Visualize it penetrating every closed drawer, behind every dresser, under every table, over every shelf, everything....everywhere..... Find a phrase that feels right to you to repeat as you do this. Something affirming that you find your real trust and real peace with God. Something asking him to come into this "room" and fill it.

Spend some time thinking about trust, and what it means to you. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you about this. To give you insights, to bring you realizations you couldn't see before. Accept that it's ok to not trust certain people. You really don't have to be "nicey-nice" all the time, and you have a right to say "No.", mean it, and stick to it. Study what the bible says about whom one should trust, and whom one shouldn't. (Let us know, ay? I have limited knowledge about what the bible says about Trust, except that it says again and again to trust in the Lord.) I also think that once you have some guidelines in place about when to trust and when not to trust, God is going to present you with a challenge. You may very well be presented with a situation where you will be asked to trust, in a way that meets the biblical standards of trustworthyness, and yet your gut reaction is to balk. Don't be afraid of this. God will be giving you an opportunity to grow in His Love. Make SURE that you KNOW the facts, that it meets God's standards for trust.... ask yourself what you REALLY have to lose by trusting in this situation (it will be less than your fears tell you - for no matter what, you will still have God, and a lesson he has taught you) and then do what God is telling your heart to do....

One last thought. Little steps are A-OK.

H

Harley_Angel

Yeah, trust, that's a BIG one, thank you for your insight on that. These dreams started about the time I got with my boyfriend who is now my husband. I have SUPER trust issues because I've been cheated on and hurt before, and so has he. He makes trusting him easy all I have to do is let myself trust him, and it's been so hard. Men have disappointed me all my life. I've never met my real dad, my step father was less than desirable, my brother is...a brother, and I was hurt really bad by teh first guy I loved. So, yeah, i can see that being a trust issue as well as a mother issue. Hmm, thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. God and I will definately be having a nice long talk tonight.

K

Kyra

You said a person has to give permission to a demon in order to be possessed (I'm paraphrasing but that is the general idea.) Permission meaning sin and/or saying please possess me.
I agree with this principle.

You also said that a child who is abused can be possessed. I also agree with this statement. No, what I said was that demons could enter into a child, not that the demons would OWN the child...big difference.

So my question is how does a child become possessed? The abuse isn't their choice, they are not choosing to sin. Trauma whether physical or emotional opens the door in children. It is not their choice, but is forced upon them. The door is opened, and if the child then fears...the situation recurring or holds hatred in their heart towards those responsible for the occurance, it is THAT that invites the demonic spirit in. People perish for lack of knowledge! The early church used to teach the children who they were in Christ and what their authority is.
Another thing we need to remember scripture tells us that when be become born again it is JESUS, not Holy Spirit that resides within us. Holy Spirit is our counselor but does not LIVE in us. He does, however empower those who have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. We say that we are 'filled with the Spirit' when He empowers us because we are filled with His power. But H.S. does not live within us as Jesus does. There is no scriptureal support that says otherwise.

Maybe it is because they are under the authority of their parents/abusers? Or maybe they are only oppressed until at some point they choose to sin in response? And then they are possessed? No, but OPpressed...influenced by, affected by, but not owned.
Maggie
Ok, thanks for the correction, I understand what you are saying now. Thanks.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
The dreams you speak of sound very much like the ones I have had and occasionally have form time to time now. For me it is a large and beautiful old home that is in need of TLC and hard work to restore. As I go through the home I find it full of many beautiful things but always end at a room somewhere within the home that is corrupt and causing the rest of the house to be affectedand decay. I always end up doing battle with some kind of evil in this room and have to comand In the Name of Jesus that the evil leave. I have come to see that when this dream occurs there is ussually something in myself or in my life that is trying to steal the gifts of Our Lord Jesus from me or some one close. I understand how scarey it can be, but the good news is that Jesus will not let anyone or anything take you from him. I now see these dreams as a way of Jesus letting me know he is with me and that all is in his hands. By rebuking the evil I acknowladge the protective power he has in my life and how in faith all is overcome. I hope that these dreams will soon end but know that in Jesus you are always safe. Hope this helped, God bless, pickles

M

MaggieMye

Dreaming of one's own house can be metaphorical for two different things, depending on the context of the dream. It can represent the dreamer's life and it can also represent the dreamer's local church....the church being the 'house' or emodiment of Christ.
Pickles, I believe that in your dream (post 31), it represents your church. The dream is given for you to pray, intercede, for discernment and wisdom as well as strategy as to how to rid the corporate portion of the body that you belong to of an evil presence or influence.
If you really believe that it is your life that this house represents, then likewise, it is for you to ask for discernment, wisdom and strategy so that you can eliminate this presence in your life. Is the room in the front of the house? That is to say it is an 'up front' issue and most likely is noticed by others. Is it at the back of the house? Then it is 'not out in the open' and possibly from some part of your past. Basement? Burried issues. Upper story? If this room is on an upper level, and has a dark presence, then you can know it is affecting your ability to go higher in the spiritual realm...there is a blockage to your ability to obtain complete access to a higher level.
Hope that helps.
Maggie

Sep 2, 2009
maybe there should be a dream interpretation forum thingy on here.

R

Remmy

hey harley,i am also scared of demons..
but i am also scared of the dark..i dont know why...i've never really liked the dark since i was little..as i got older i finnaly got the courage to sleep with the lights off but then my friend who i knew since kindergatrthen died(he commited suicide)..i hadnt seen him or spoken to him for like 5 or 6years..but we shared the same classroom for 8yrears in a row.
anyway so the night before he committed suicide i had a dream about him...we were a couple in my dream..holding hands and actin' all in love..and as i woke up the next day i wondered why would i dream about him?i havent seen him or spoken to him in years...and i think it was the next day i heard that he had committed suicide..that was a big shock for me because i felt soo confused..was it like a warning dream?..i didnt know..so i slept with the lights on for 2years..i kept seeing his face in my mind..

the reason why im also scared of demons because i have experienced something weird too..im sure some of you experienced it also..you know when you sleep..and you are trying to wake up but you cant...its like your brain is awake but your body just wouldnt move.....it freaks me out!..you just feel like something is pressing on you..anybody know waht im talkin about?
so anywway a friend of mine told me whenever it happends(cuz it happends alot) i have to ask god to help and start praising him...and thats what i do right now and it works! i wake up instanlty! sometimes i start singing a christian song,that also helps.
i had many bad dreams where i feel someone pulling at my feet ..or just hearing a creepy audible voice in my dream saying my name.....so scary!
i think i watched too many scary movies too..dont watch it anymore though..
i still need to have a little bit of light in my room when i sleep

i have been having creepy feeling in my room too..maybe because my room use to be the basement but now its all cleaned up and im using it.
3days ago i had chat with a friend and he told me about demons and stuff..explained a couple of things to me and my last 2 nights i could not sleep at all....i kept having this creepy feeling as if i was being watched,i kept tossing and turining..even when i have to take my nap it is hard for me to fall asleep..and when i fall asleep i just dream that theres something in my room..im also scared to pray when i feel this way because im scared he will attack me or something...
i just dont wanna be scared anymore..not scared of the dark or of any demon..but how do you like get rid of the fear? I have rebuked it many times and asked god for help but i still ahve a creepy feeling when the lights are out...

oow and one more thing...whenever i wake in the middle of the night for either a bad dream or for no apperent reason,it is always 3 oclock! isnt that freaky?..so i have also stopped looking at the clock whenever i wake up..last night i woke up and i was determined not to look at the look..anyway i couldnt sleep and got up to turn on the light and it was 3.30..which means i woke up around 3.....again!..lol

im sorry harley i cant really help you with all this demon stuff,i just wanted to share my story..im as confused as you..im jsut scared that somethin is attached to me.....

God bless!

W

wwjd_kilden

The waking up in the middle of the night- nody won't move thing is called sleep paralysis. Like you said, your brain is awake but your body is asleep (as it is supposed to be while your brain is sleeping, but not when you start waking up).
- I'm not saying it has to be only this, but it could be part of the explanation.

I have no doubts though, that demons exist and try either to beguile us or scare us, so if you feel something evil is truly there, chase them away in the name of Jesus Christ. It works! I once woke up feeling like there was something evil present (though it could very well be my imagination), and grabbed my bible once to read from it, but didn't even get started reading before the feeling went away!

no matter if it is demons or your imagination, God has the power to make it go away. Pray, trust in Him, and read His word. He WILL keep you safe :)

M

MaggieMye

No truly Born again CHristian should ever be afraid of demons! WE have authority over them!! THEY are afraid of those in Christ that Know This!

EVERY knee must bow to the name of Jesus....every demon must obey. You don't need to yell at it...but you might have to ask Holy Spirit why it has a legal right to be there.

Maggie

H

Harley_Angel

Good point Maggie, we are the ones who hold power over them. They can't hurt us if we don't let them. Thank you for that, that gives me a lot of courage.

Oh, yeah Remmy, i've never had sleep paralysis, but sometimes I get these overwhelming feelings of dread (I have an anxiety attack disorder) and when I get really scared, I say the Lord's prayer over and over and over, and smile. Everything instantly gets better.

Thank you to everone who added to this discussion. I'm pleased to say my fear of possession is about 95% gone now, and the other 5% will come with time and prayer. It was very enjoyable getting to see everyone's opinions and scripture on the matter.

M

MaggieMye

Harley girl....may I go one step further? Concering your anxiety disorder? When did it start...how old were you? What happend in your life right before or shortly before it started? Was there ever a time when you were young, that you experienced extreme fear? Is there any parents or grand parents, aunts or uncle that have this?

It is not God's will that you should have to be repeatedly attacked by this thing. Let's get to the root of it and get rid of it!! If you want you can email me at [email protected]

Blessings,
Maggie

H

Harley_Angel

Honestly, Maggie, it's a chemical problem. It's genetic. All the women in my family have problems with it. My mom was my age when it started happening to her, and to this day, she can't drive on the highway because she gets panic attacks. Right now, I'm trying to combat the anxiety with God instead of lexipro or other meds. It's working. I still get really scared sometimes because I have a LOT of freckles and am constantly worried I've got skin cancer somewhere. In fact, I think everything could be cancer lol. Through lots of prayer, and self control, and putting webmd.com down, I've been able to control the panic attacks for the most part.

I wish the same coudl be said for the rest of my family. My great grandmother had larnyx cancer from years of smoking and drank/pill popped herself to death, then my grandmother, and avid drinker and heroine addict killed herself with a shotgun when I was in sixth grade, and now my mother is hitting the pills and liquor really bad. It's how they dealt with their demons. I refuse to be like that, I don't smoke, I don't drink past the occaisional glass of wine or mixed drink, and I've put drugs way behind me. I don't even take advil unless it's something really really bad. I refuse to let anxiety take over my life when it can be fixed through faith in God.

Thank you for your concern, though. I have to keep in my heart that God did NOT give us a spirit of fear. So when I'm afraid, I'm not putting my full faith in God, and need to work on it. The worse than can happen to me is I die, and if I die, I've won. I'll be in heaven (I hope) with my creator and the one man who ever lived who will NEVER let me down. :)

M

MaggieMye

· Honestly, Maggie, it's a chemical problem. It's genetic. GENETIC, as in GENERATIONAL! All the women in my family have problems with it. This is a CURSE upon the women in your family. My mom was my age when it started happening to her, and to this day, she can't drive on the highway because she gets panic attacks. Right now, I'm trying to combat the anxiety with God instead of lexipro or other meds. Good for you! Because it IS a spiritual condition, not a medical one…although repeated behaviors can cause a chemical change in the brain, the CORE or ROOT of the thing IS SPIRITUAL. It's working. I still get really scared sometimes because I have a LOT of freckles and am constantly worried I've got skin cancer somewhere. Sweetie, that is stinkin' thinkin'! I have freckles too And red hair!. They have nothing to do with getting cancer and are simply a deviation in skin pigmentation. You could get cancer from repeated sunburn…but you can get it from exposure to certain chemicals too…and even brushing your teeth with the normal toothpastes on the grocery store shelves….because they have carcinogens in them. WORRY is FEAR in action and that is what you need to be set free from. In fact, I think everything could be cancer lol. Rom 8:15, girl! You are a daughter of the Most High God and HAVE authority over all fear!! Through lots of prayer, and self control, and putting webmd.com (what is that ?) down, I've been able to control the panic attacks for the most part. You are missing the point here. You do not need to Control anything…but to take authority over it and get rid of it once and forever. We are not to rely on our own strategies to deal with this type of thing. Instead He has given us HIS POWER and authority. We only need to learn how to use it.

I wish the same could be said for the rest of my family. My great grandmother had larnyx cancer from years of smoking and drank/pill popped herself to death, then my grandmother, and avid drinker and heroine addict killed herself with a shotgun when I was in sixth grade, and now my mother is hitting the pills and liquor really bad. And this is ALL because of the fear that they live in and suffer from daily! There is NO FREEDOM in being and addict to anything. Addiction is a response to constant fear…and even fearing the fear itself. It's how they dealt with their demons. But that is the point. They DID NOT deal with them. Instead, they pacified them with the booze and drugs…which cause certain sensors in the brain to become dull and unresponsive to the tactics of the spirits and fearful thoughts they bring. I refuse to be like that, I don't smoke, I don't drink past the occasional glass of wine or mixed drink, and I've put drugs way behind me. I don't even take Advil unless it's something really really bad. That's wonderful! You are learning to be an OVERCOMER!! I refuse to let anxiety take over my life when it can be fixed through faith in God. Awesome! So will you let me help you here? Let me teach you so that YOU can teach others…maybe even those in your family and help them get completely FREE?

Thank you for your concern, though. I have to keep in my heart that God did NOT give us a spirit of fear. So when I'm afraid, I'm not putting my full faith in God, and need to work on it.WRONG. It is not that you are not using your 'full faith' (you either have faith or you don't). It is that you have not yet been taught HOW to use the authority that God has given every believer. Sadly the church stopped teaching these truths…these LIFE-ENHANCING truths about1800 years ago…hence the mess the body of Christ is in now. The worse that can happen to me is I die, and if I die, I've won. Wrong again. God has promised every person 70-80 years. If a person dies before that time, it is at the hand of the wicked one that goes about seeking whom he can devour. Are you willing to be devoured and taken out of the destiny plan that God created you for?? I'll be in heaven (I hope) IF you are not sure, then you do not believe at least part of His Word. with my creator and the one man who ever lived who will NEVER let me down.

In his book "A More Excellent Way" Henry Wright helps people understand what type of demons are accosting or pestering them. It is up to us to inquire of our relatives or Holy Spirit as to what the CAUSE is…to find out WHY the demons have a right to bother us. Remember, it is the glory of kings to search out a matter Prov 25:2 b
Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.