Did the Holy Spirit Literally descend on Jesus in bodily form at his Baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
lol now you have made me laugh.

why do you call me a baptist, and have done over quite a few post..it does make smile abit
You said you were a Baptist

If you are not can you give me a link to the denominmation you are now, so I can hear a sermon stating that if a person believes Christ is the son of God but not God Himself they can have no eterrnal life

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Did I??? I said I went to a Baptist church!

now prove this wonderful astounding claim you made LBG? I think you just made it up....???

Dec 19, 2009
Did I??? I said I went to a Baptist church!

now prove this wonderful astounding claim you made LBG? I think you just made it up....???
You have in the past said you went to one,
but don't deflect, deflect, deflect

I am npot concerned which denomination you belong to, just that you provide me with a link to a sermon for that denomination which plainly preaches the basis of the Christian faith
And one which plainly states the belief eternal life hinges on, and what is not acceptable to believe for a person to have eterrnal life

It must be a strange church if they cannot tell their flock such important truths on which eternal life hinges

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
now now stop changing the subject.... I go to a baptist church. which church does your Nephew minister in?

NOW, prove your ridiculous claims.

If you cannot prove them then we all know you just made it all up, possibly including your '30 years''?? it is just a figment of your imagination isnt it LBG?

Dec 19, 2009
now now stop changing the subject.... I go to a baptist church. which church does your Nephew minister in?

NOW, prove your ridiculous claims.

If you cannot prove them then we all know you just made it all up, possibly including your '30 years''?? it is just a figment of your imagination isnt it LBG?
I annot believe the lengths you are going to to deflect from the question being asked, neither will anyone else, people are not fools you know

How can any church denomination be credible if they will not plainly preach from the pulpit a belief on whkich eternal. life hinges and tell people of beliefs that are not acceptable to have eternal life

Why can you not answer the question Phil?

Why am I even asking that, it is obvious why

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
How can any church denomination be credible if they will not plainly preach from the pulpit a belief on whkich eternal. life hinges and tell people of beliefs that are not acceptable to have eternal life
Now LBG, above is what you have said and claimed and keep claiming you are the one who said you sat for 30 years listening to trinitarians NOT teach Jesus is God.

Now, pleas prove this.

you are the one saying this not me...if you cant prove , then what you have said is not true, or can you prove it

Dec 19, 2009
Now LBG, above is what you have said and claimed and keep claiming you are the one who said you sat for 30 years listening to trinitarians NOT teach Jesus is God.

Now, pleas prove this.

you are the one saying this not me...if you cant prove , then what you have said is not true, or can you prove it
Well I hope that every independant reader of these comments sees the absurdity of what is going on here

Phil knows that his church denomination DOES NOT preach plainly from the pulpit a belief on which he believes eternal life hinges and a belief that is not acceptable to have to inherit eternal life, so all he has left to do is deflect, deflect, deflect ,deflect, deflect

Your credibility is in ruin s

As usual you have nowhere to go but run away from the truth of what is being put to you

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Well I hope that every independant reader of these comments sees the absurdity of what is going on here

Phil knows that his church denomination DOES NOT preach plainly from the pulpit a belief on which he believes eternal life hinges and a belief that is not acceptable to have to inherit eternal life, so all he has left to do is deflect, deflect, deflect ,deflect, deflect

Your credibility is in ruin s

As usual you have nowhere to go but run away from the truth of what is being put to you

Your telling lies again LBG

Dec 19, 2009
I believe God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are the same person.

A

AnandaHya

The following acrostic backronym, spelling BAPTIST, represents a useful summary of Baptists' distinguishing beliefs:[1]
Biblical authority (Mat 24:35; 1Pet 1:23; 2Tim 3:16-17)
Autonomy of the local church (Mat 18:15-17; 1Cor 6:1-3)
Priesthood of all believers (1Pet 2:5-9; 1Tim 5)
Two ordinances (believer's baptism and the Lord's Supper) (Acts 2:41-47; 1Cor 11:23-32)
Individual soul liberty (Rom 14:5-12)
Separation of Church and State (Mat 22:15-22)
Two offices of the church (pastor and deacon) (1Tim 3:1-13; Tit 1-2)

Baptist beliefs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just found it interesting :)

"Historically, Baptists have emphasized the sole authority of the Scriptures, or sola scriptura, and therefore believe that the Bible is the only authoritative source of God's truth. Chapter one of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith states:
The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience...
This view contrasts with the role of Apostolic tradition in the Roman Catholic Church, direct revelation in charismatic circles, and personal philosophy as in Liberal Christianity. Any view that cannot be tied to scriptural exposition is generally considered to be based on human traditions rather than God's leading, and though they may be accurate, such views are never to be elevated to or above the authority of Scripture. Each person is responsible before God for his own understanding of the Bible and is encouraged to work out their own salvation. A common "proof text" for this idea is found in Philippians 2:12 Sola scriptura is likely to be practiced by Reformed Baptist churches and many churches within the Southern Baptist Convention
.'

S

Scotth1960

I believe

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are the

same person.

Dear "resurrection33", I believe God,

Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are Three

Persons in one God. To believe they are

the same person is an ancient heresy

named modalism or Sabellianism. It was

defeated by the Church long ago, while

some few individuals still cling to it. I

believe the Local Church (Living Stream

Ministry, Anaheim, CA) of Witness Lee

taught this heresy. Take care. In Erie PA

Scott R. Harrington

S

Scotth1960

The following acrostic backronym, spelling BAPTIST, represents a useful summary of Baptists' distinguishing beliefs:[1]
Biblical authority (Mat 24:35; 1Pet 1:23; 2Tim 3:16-17)
Autonomy of the local church (Mat 18:15-17; 1Cor 6:1-3)
Priesthood of all believers (1Pet 2:5-9; 1Tim 5)
Two ordinances (believer's baptism and the Lord's Supper) (Acts 2:41-47; 1Cor 11:23-32)
Individual soul liberty (Rom 14:5-12)
Separation of Church and State (Mat 22:15-22)
Two offices of the church (pastor and deacon) (1Tim 3:1-13; Tit 1-2)

Baptist beliefs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just found it interesting :)

"Historically, Baptists have emphasized the sole authority of the Scriptures, or sola scriptura, and therefore believe that the Bible is the only authoritative source of God's truth. Chapter one of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith states:
Friends,
If they only believe in "sola scriptura", why, then, is the "1689 Baptist Confession of Faith" needed to explain the Scripture? That is a contradictory view point. What is being taught is not "sola scriptura" but Scripture AND the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

The Holy Scripture is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience...

Friends, Again, If that is the case, why are Baptist confessions needed? Does scripture itself teach "sola scriptura"? Here is what 2 Thess. 2:15 says, "Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle". (NKJV OSB; page 1631 q.v.).
See also "But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us." 2 Thess. 3:6 OSB p. 1631.
Clearly, Scripture teaches Scripture and apostolic tradition.
2 Thess. 2:15; 3:6 In the NT we read of two types of traditions: (1) The tradition of men (Mt. 15:1-9; Col. 2:8) is soundly condemned. Jesus (quoting Isaiah 29:13) describes this as "teachings as doctrines the commandments of men" (Mat. 15:9). (2) The tradition of the apostles or "Holy Tradition", by contrast, is to be preserved by the Church, for God is its source. Holy Tradition is that which Jesus taught to the apostles, and which they in turn taught the Church under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit in (a) the instructions as they visited the churches and (b) their writings. Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we adhere to Holy Tradition as it is present in the apostles' writings and it is resident in the Church to which the truth is promised (John 16:13)" Note on 2 Thess. 2:15, 3:6 in OSB, p. 1631 q.v.

There are, then, 7 sacraments in the Church, which the Church teaches and which are found in Holy Scripture.
1 Confession
2 Baptism
3 Chrismation
4 Holy Eucharist (Communion)
5 Marriage
6 Priesthood (Ordination)
7 Healing (Anointing of the sick)
It is unscriptural to limit the number of sacraments to 2, to only baptism and communion That is a "tradition of men". The church for 2000 years has had 7 sacraments.
God bless you all; Amen.
In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington

This view contrasts with the role of Apostolic tradition in the Roman Catholic Church, direct revelation in charismatic circles, and personal philosophy as in Liberal Christianity. Any view that cannot be tied to scriptural exposition is generally considered to be based on human traditions rather than God's leading, and though they may be accurate, such views are never to be elevated to or above the authority of Scripture. Each person is responsible before God for his own understanding of the Bible [VERSUS 2 PETER 3:16, 2 PETER 1:20 "knowing this first,that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" NKJV OSB, page 1693, q.v.].
and is encouraged to work out their own salvation.
A common "proof text" for this idea is found in Philippians 2:12 Sola scriptura is likely to be practiced by Reformed Baptist churches and many churches within the Southern Baptist Convention.

God save us all; in Christ Jesus; Amen. In Erie PA Scott R. Harrington