"Do not be unequally yoked."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 6, 2019
This short sermon was eye-opening for me. I was on other forums, talking to unbelievers a lot. This video came up, and I couldn't ignore it. I did not know that having unbelievers as friends was so serious.

I wrote down some quotes from the sermon. It's really amazing, and I hope it helps someone, as it has me.

"Christians who are unequally yoked have no heart for prayer."

"No one can be an unshackled follower of the Lord Jesus who is in any way yoked to his enemies."

"Can those who owe their all to Christ, both for time and eternity, have fellowship with those who despise and reject Him"?

"This applies to business partnerships. Disobedience at this point has wrecked many a Christian's testimony and pierced him through with many sorrows."

"If any occupation or association is found to hinder our communion with God or our enjoyment of spiritual things, then it must be abandoned."

"What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?"

"All unions, alliances, partnerships, entanglements with unbelievers are expressly forbidden to the Christian."

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @girl-interrupted, I think that it's important to understand exactly what Dr. Pink is saying (regarding the kind of relationships that both he and the Bible are telling us to avoid in this case). For instance, as a pastor, theologian and evangelist, I don't believe that Dr. Pink is telling us to avoid associating with unbelievers altogether (nor is the Bible). In fact, if we choose to do that (avoid unbelievers altogether), what I believe to be God's main purpose* in leaving us (believers) in this world would be lost (witnessing/evangelism*).

So, I think that it is vital to understand (from Dr. Pink and/or the Apostle Paul) what is meant by being "yoked" to someone else, business-wise and/or personally, and I believe that Dr. Pink gives us a hint about what that might be in his sermon (part of which you wrote down for us in the OP). For instance:

"All unions, alliances, partnerships, entanglements with unbelievers are expressly forbidden to the Christian."
"Partnerships ... that can end up wrecking a Christian's testimony"
"If any occupation or association that is found to hinder our communion with God or our enjoyment of spiritual things, then it must be abandoned."

Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you are saying? If that's the case, then please correct my misunderstanding (for instance, what do 'you' think that it means to be "yoked" to an unbeliever .. in the sense that the Apostle meant it, specifically) :unsure:

~Deut
p.s. - here's one of my very favorite Christian quotes. I believe that both Dr. Pink and the Apostle Paul would agree with its sentiment (concerning our need to engage those who are lost and on their way to Hell/the Lake of Fire).

Spurgeon - If Sinners - No One Unwarned-Unprayed for..jpg

Mar 4, 2020
This short sermon was eye-opening for me. I was on other forums, talking to unbelievers a lot. This video came up, and I couldn't ignore it. I did not know that having unbelievers as friends was so serious.

I wrote down some quotes from the sermon. It's really amazing, and I hope it helps someone, as it has me.

"Christians who are unequally yoked have no heart for prayer."

"No one can be an unshackled follower of the Lord Jesus who is in any way yoked to his enemies."

"Can those who owe their all to Christ, both for time and eternity, have fellowship with those who despise and reject Him"?

"This applies to business partnerships. Disobedience at this point has wrecked many a Christian's testimony and pierced him through with many sorrows."

"If any occupation or association is found to hinder our communion with God or our enjoyment of spiritual things, then it must be abandoned."

"What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?"

Christians are for fellowship and everyone else is for outreach. Of course, always be cordial, friendly, and warm to people who aren't Christian. Ultimately we want them to want to know Jesus.

Just taking the time to get to know non-Christians, care for them, and be available for them has been one of the most effective ways of making disciples that I'm aware of.

Aug 6, 2019
Hello
Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you are saying? If that's the case, then please correct my misunderstanding (for instance, what do 'you' think that it means to be "[I]yoked[/I]" to an unbeliever .. in the sense that the Apostle meant it, specifically) :unsure:[/FONT]
[/QUOTE]
Hi, [USER=271325]@Deuteronomy
Thanks for your comment. It's what I'm trying to figure out (referring to your question). I only quoted from the sermon other bringing up my own experience of spending too much time with unbelievers, and I believe that's why I felt compelled to listen to the sermon.

I agree with you. It's necessary to have association with unbelievers, so they can learn the gospel, and we're able to glorify God's name.
[/USER][/QUOTE]
Hello @girl-interrupted, I think that it's important to understand exactly what Dr. Pink is saying (regarding the kind of relationships that both he and the Bible are telling us to avoid in this case). For instance, as a pastor, theologian and evangelist, I don't believe that Dr. Pink is telling us to avoid associating with unbelievers altogether (nor is the Bible). In fact, if we choose to do that (avoid unbelievers altogether), what I believe to be God's main purpose* in leaving us (believers) in this world would be lost (witnessing/evangelism*).

So, I think that it is vital to understand (from Dr. Pink and/or the Apostle Paul) what is meant by being "yoked" to someone else, business-wise and/or personally, and I believe that Dr. Pink gives us a hint about what that might be in his sermon (part of which you wrote down for us in the OP). For instance:

"Partnerships ... that can end up wrecking a Christian's testimony"
"If any occupation or association that is found to hinder our communion with God or our enjoyment of spiritual things, then it must be abandoned."

Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you are saying? If that's the case, then please correct my misunderstanding
(for instance, what do 'you' think that it means to be "yoked" to an unbeliever .. in the sense that the Apostle meant it, specifically) :unsure:

~Deut
p.s. - here's one of my very favorite Christian quotes. I believe that both Dr. Pink and the Apostle Paul would agree with its sentiment (concerning our need to engage those who are lost and on their way to Hell/the Lake of Fire).

@Deuteronomy Thanks for replying. :)
That's what I'm trying to figure out (referring to your question I highlighted). I mainly quoted from the sermon and brought up my own experience with spending too much time with unbelievers. According to the sermon, we shouldn't be good friends with unbelievers.

I agree with you. We need association with unbelievers so they can hear the gospel.