Do you know who you are? Or at least who you want to be?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2005
So tonight, at college group, we talked about Identity. Do you know who you are? OR is who you are lead by LIES, SELF-DOUBT & FEAR?? That's how my life is lead. But I'm ready to change that. The question is are You?

Let me start out by repeating what Dan & Jamie said : Don't give your insecurities, your fears, your past hinder your relationship with others. If you let these things rule your life...you're not going to be able to build strong relationships because there will be walls blocking the way. Leave them behind and start a clean slate when building lasting relationships. It's not easy by any means...but it's possible.

~LIES~
Has anyone ever told you:
You're ugly
You're worthless
You're not worthy of love
You're going to end up just like _______ (someone who's life has gone astray)
You're just average
You're really not good at ________ (something you may have a passion for)
You're weird (in a negative way)
You're really not as good as _________ (an older sibling, a younger sibling, a bestfriend...)
(the list goes on....)

If they have, you know what? THEY ARE WRONG! These are lies what can be (and probably are) rooted in our lives...feeding off our thoughts and steering our thoughts and actions in directions they may not normally go. If you're reading this you can probably think of some examples of lies that have taken root in your life. You can change your life around by identifying these lies in your life and bringing them to our Father in heaven and placing them at His feet. Make conversation with Him and start rebuking these lies. 'Cause a lie can only affect you if you believe it. And never take off the full armor of God, because as Ephesians 6:16 says, "In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."

No matter what people say about us...God is still there waving our flag...cheering at the sidelines for us! Romans 8:35-37 says, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:
'For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.'
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."

~SELF-DOUBT~
Nothing really stuck out to me in this category...except for this phrase. "Don't be afraid to take risks!" Pretty much...get out of your comfort zone. From a guy being too shy to ask a girl out to moving across the country to go to college. Make a move...you can neither fail or succeed if you stay in your little box of familiarity. And either way you'll learn something you can take with you throughout life.

~FEAR~ (a.k.a. False.Evidence.Appearing.Real.)
2nd Timothy 1:7 says, "For the Lord did not give you a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of self-disciple[sound mind]."

We all have fears: be them as trivial as spiders or as big as death or failure.

Most of us are constantly afraid of what others think of us (me included). But why? Why do we care about not matching the current fads or fitting into the latest cliques? Do you ever look at an interesting shirt or a new pair of jeans and think, "I could never pull that off, I'd look like a dork." Well, who makes you think that? God definitely didnt whisper in your ear..."That looks dumb." So it must have been a worldly thing. Are you going to let fear, man, or God guide your steps? If you let God do the leading...one of the things you'll get out of the deal is boldness. You won't care what others say about you, you'll buy that wild outfit, (guys:) you'll ask out that girl! Life will be alot more fun and productive with God in the driver's seat. You'll accomplish things people had always told you were not possible in your situation. There will be less stress and more time for happiness.

I'm just saying:

Do you know who you are?

or

Do you know who you want to be?

Maybe you could spend sometime this week in reflection and conversation with God about what lies you want to shrug off. What truths you are looking forward to embracing?

Love you all!

Hats off to you if you read all that! <3 <3

[this is kinda related to Shiningthrupain's post about Identity...but with a different spin...sorry if it's repetitive.]

grace

Sep 8, 2006
Solid Betsy! Thanks for posting this.

Jun 4, 2006
I love you BETSY!!!!
And I think you are amazing, beautiful inside and out. Your identity can't be replaced!
:D

M

MaggieMye

I know who I am! I am a daughter of the Most High God! I am joint-heir to be seated at the right hand of the Father! I am an Overcomer! I have authority over demons and wickedness! I am a Friend of God! I am a Do-er of the Word of God. I am anointed of God to To bring good news to the afflicted; to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners; To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn. I am His and He is mine and all because He lives in me!

Anything short of that....you do NOT know who you were created to be.
Maggie

Sharp

May 5, 2009
wow i wish i could've been there. i'm unsure about my role in the world and i'm too afraid to leave my comfort zone. please pray for me if you have time.

Kakashi

Jan 3, 2007
Sounds good!! This is awesome. I was talking about this with a girl at my church, and she went to a conference one time and they said that people need to have higher expectations of themselves!! I think the ways to doing that though at the things you just listed, and I'm slowly getting rid of them in a lot of areas in my life.

I'm glad you posted this!

Aug 27, 2005
Sure sharp! I'll definitely say a prayer for you :)

W

wwjd_kilden

In my experience, people either have no confidence, or they think they are masters of everything and anything.... ( I have two freinds of that type, that will brag even about their negative sides, which makes me kinda skeptical...) I also have friends with severe depression who have hated themselves and their lives, no matter what good you say to them.

I tend to believe people who put me down, but I know that my creator loves me no matter what, so when I kick myself behind and start thinking about it, I know that those things don't matter! Because the only one that matters in the end made me just the way I am, and he loves me! - Take that all al... "downputters"! *sticks out tounge to the world*

L

Leilaii425

This was a great post. Why is it always so much easier to remember all the negative things someone has said about you, than the positive ones. Its hard working getting those lies out of your head, and replacing them with what god says.

J

Jezreel

Watch Monty Pythons "Meaning of Life"and we'll all know (just kidding, I feel jolly)

Aug 27, 2005
In my experience, people either have no confidence, or they think they are masters of everything and anything.... ( I have two freinds of that type, that will brag even about their negative sides, which makes me kinda skeptical...) I also have friends with severe depression who have hated themselves and their lives, no matter what good you say to them.

I tend to believe people who put me down, but I know that my creator loves me no matter what, so when I kick myself behind and start thinking about it, I know that those things don't matter! Because the only one that matters in the end made me just the way I am, and he loves me! - Take that all al... "downputters"! *sticks out tounge to the world*

That's so great!!!

Aug 27, 2005
This was a great post. Why is it always so much easier to remember all the negative things someone has said about you, than the positive ones. Its hard working getting those lies out of your head, and replacing them with what god says.

I agree whole-heartedly!

Status
Not open for further replies.