Doctrine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I agree with you VW it is by the power of the Holy Spirit who convicts (god initiates..sorry had to get that in, must be the Calvinist in me lol). so in that instance i certainly agree with you, no doubts about that.

What I ment was that most people dont believe doctrine is important, and say they don't need it, yet the very fact that most Christians will use doctrinal statements (particularly when witnessing to others) in their daily lives. so good doctrine is important, and a doctrinal statement as when we witness will sow seeds.

When you hear a christian witness, a preacher teach/preach you here forms of doctrinal statements.

Thats the point i was making.

Kind regards

Phil
of course, what we know about our lord, his and our father, and their spirit in us, and how these things make us all one, is of the utmost importance. and good, i should say, inspired, doctrine helps gain more, or even the greatest, grace. who wouldn't want that, if they love him.

my favorite verse is in hebrews. it says that jesus always lives to intercede for those who are drawing near to god through him. i still get revelation from the spirit every time i even think on this thought from the spirit about what jesus is doing for us who want to get closer to god.

my joy is getting fuller,
vic

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
forgot to add, it was the power of the gospel, through the spirit that brings salvation. we nearly forgot the word of God there! it is the pwoer unto salvation:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Rom 1:16

we must never forget the word by over emphasising the Spirit and vice versa! The word of the Lord everyday, and understanding of His glorious word is what brings a great reverence and love for God.. I would be very wary about recieving revelations all the time about God without the word.

Kind regards

Phil

Last edited:

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
forgot to add, it was the power of the gospel, through the spirit that brings salvation. we nearly forgot the word of God there! it is the pwoer unto salvation:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Rom 1:16

we must never forget the word by over emphasising the Spirit and vice versa! The word of the Lord everyday, and understanding of His glorious word is what brings a great reverence and love for God.. I would be very wary about recieving revelations all the time about God without the word.

Kind regards

Phil
the word of god lives in us by the spirit. you do not preach out of the bible, the spirit in us preaches from what he has inspired, in those who wrote it down, and in us who believe.

blessings

you brother in him
vic

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
in other words, how is one going to have the spirit without the word? he is the author of the word.

sorry, just had to add that

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
the word of god lives in us by the spirit. you do not preach out of the bible, the spirit in us preaches from what he has inspired, in those who wrote it down, and in us who believe.

blessings

you brother in him
vic

I'm not exactly to sure about yopur last comment.. if the word is in us, why do we need to read God's word?

sorry not totally sure what you mean.

Kind regards

Phil

C

charisenexcelcis

Several have asked me to explain my post about doctrines that ****. Let me first give you a list of doctrines that I think are just different aspects of the one true faith: Calvinism vs Arminianism (I am neither), pre-trib/post-trib/mid-trib/ no trib, methods of sanctification, textus recepticus vs Westcott & Horton vs Nestle text vs I don't know Greek so I just use the English, baptismal formula, eucharist vs. communion, angelology, various understandings of creation, a bunch more that I can't think of. Having gotten that out of the way, what doctrines might ****.
Illustration: I experience the drawing of the Holy Spirit. I run into an LDS who tells me that as I am, god once was and as god is, I will be. Jesus is just an older brother who has progressed further in his spiritual walk. He tells me to pray about it and that if I feel the confirmation of a "burning in the belly" I should join him at the LDS church. I don't know what he means about the burning, but what he says makes me feel better so, being sidetracked from the cross, I join the LDS, get spiritually married so that when I die I can be a god and make spiritual babies who will come to earth and begin the whole process again. Except that when I die, having never put my trust in Jesus, I end up in hell.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Several have asked me to explain my post about doctrines that ****. Let me first give you a list of doctrines that I think are just different aspects of the one true faith: Calvinism vs Arminianism (I am neither), pre-trib/post-trib/mid-trib/ no trib, methods of sanctification, textus recepticus vs Westcott & Horton vs Nestle text vs I don't know Greek so I just use the English, baptismal formula, eucharist vs. communion, angelology, various understandings of creation, a bunch more that I can't think of. Having gotten that out of the way, what doctrines might ****.
Illustration: I experience the drawing of the Holy Spirit. I run into an LDS who tells me that as I am, god once was and as god is, I will be. Jesus is just an older brother who has progressed further in his spiritual walk. He tells me to pray about it and that if I feel the confirmation of a "burning in the belly" I should join him at the LDS church. I don't know what he means about the burning, but what he says makes me feel better so, being sidetracked from the cross, I join the LDS, get spiritually married so that when I die I can be a god and make spiritual babies who will come to earth and begin the whole process again. Except that when I die, having never put my trust in Jesus, I end up in hell.

Very Good, charisenexcelcis. and very well put.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I'm not exactly to sure about yopur last comment.. if the word is in us, why do we need to read God's word?

sorry not totally sure what you mean.

Kind regards

Phil
do we have the word until the spirit quickens it in is? of course we read.

let me just say that reading without the spirit is, while not useless, not profitable for our growth in the kingdom of heaven.

i know that i am touching a sensitive area. for this reason some do not read to hear, only to refute.

i appreciate your understanding greatly.

vic

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
do we have the word until the spirit quickens it in is? of course we read.

let me just say that reading without the spirit is, while not useless, not profitable for our growth in the kingdom of heaven.

i know that i am touching a sensitive area. for this reason some do not read to hear, only to refute.

i appreciate your understanding greatly.

vic

That is an unfair comment "..... some do not read to hear, only to refute." by that very statement you are implying that those (some) who disagree with yourself, 'do not read to hear but only to refute' you might as well have said " my understanding is correct for when I read I hear" (if that is what you mean)

I do agree with you that no one will understand fully the pearl of Scripture unless the spirit quickens (returns to life,to activate) the heart within.

"This is the Moses who said to the Israelites, 'God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers.' This is the one who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the angel who spoke to him at Mount Sinai, and with our fathers. He received living oracles to give to us. Acts 7:37-38 (ESV)

The message sums it up (as would a small commentary) :

This is the Moses who said to his congregation, 'God will raise up a prophet just like me from your descendants.' This is the Moses who stood between the angel speaking at Sinai and your fathers assembled in the wilderness and took the life-giving words given to him and handed them over to us, words our fathers would have nothing to do with. vv37-38 (Message)

I understand what you are saying, but the word is power unto salvation the Spirit moves us to the word (living oracles) and to open ours eyes to it.

kind regards

Phil

Last edited:

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
That is an unfair comment "..... some do not read to hear, only to refute." by that very statement you are implying that those (some) who disagree with yourself, 'do not read to hear but only to refute' you might as well have said " my understanding is correct for when I read I hear" (if that is what you mean)

I do agree with you that no one will understand fully the pearl of Scripture unless the spirit quickens (returns to life,to activate) the heart within.

"This is the Moses who said to the Israelites, 'God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers.' This is the one who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the angel who spoke to him at Mount Sinai, and with our fathers. He received living oracles to give to us. Acts 7:37-38 (ESV)

The message sums it up (as would a small commentary) :

This is the Moses who said to his congregation, 'God will raise up a prophet just like me from your descendants.' This is the Moses who stood between the angel speaking at Sinai and your fathers assembled in the wilderness and took the life-giving words given to him and handed them over to us, words our fathers would have nothing to do with. vv37-38 (Message)

I understand what you are saying, but the word is power unto salvation the Spirit moves us to the word (living oracles) and to open ours eyes to it.

kind regards

Phil
not unfair. not talking about you, or many others. please understand, when someone challenges our perceptions about something so dear, like the scriptures, some will only hear attack, and not hear what is actually said. i think that you would agree that we can quote scripture all day long, and unless the spirit is working in both the speaker and the hearer, then salvation is not working.

it works like this: the word spoken by the preacher by the spirit is enpowered by the spirit and that word goes into the heart of those who have been prepared to hear these spiritual words, and the hearer receives grace from god. and salvation is present.

another verse about the word being important and powerful is 1st cor 1:18

the spirit is why these words from god are powerful. the word of god is powerful, but would we say that it is so in the absence of god? the children of israel thought so once, and suffered devastation when they placed the ark of the covenant in front of them, without seeking god. they lost the ark, which contained the word, the covenant on tablets, arron's rod which had budded, among other things from god.

i hope that i have not offended you with these words.

in his perfect peace,
vic

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
not unfair. not talking about you, or many others. please understand, when someone challenges our perceptions about something so dear, like the scriptures, some will only hear attack, and not hear what is actually said. i think that you would agree that we can quote scripture all day long, and unless the spirit is working in both the speaker and the hearer, then salvation is not working.

it works like this: the word spoken by the preacher by the spirit is enpowered by the spirit and that word goes into the heart of those who have been prepared to hear these spiritual words, and the hearer receives grace from god. and salvation is present.

another verse about the word being important and powerful is 1st cor 1:18

the spirit is why these words from god are powerful. the word of god is powerful, but would we say that it is so in the absence of god? the children of israel thought so once, and suffered devastation when they placed the ark of the covenant in front of them, without seeking god. they lost the ark, which contained the word, the covenant on tablets, arron's rod which had budded, among other things from god.

i hope that i have not offended you with these words.

in his perfect peace,
vic

Lol Hi Vic, you haven't offended me I am enjoying our discussion. And I am not in real disagreement with you, as I am sure you have sensed.

I equate the the power of God (Trinity) with the power behind the word. The Corinthians where more interested in how the message was spoken and not the eloquence of the rhetoric, yet Paul reminds them of the simple message of the cross, the message that seems foolish is the power that is saving us.

The word in the ark still had power, but God through his purpose to punish disobedience and if I remember correctly not waiting for Samuel were in disobedience, that's the context of that narrative. They new the defeat was of the Lord.. But by bringing the Ark to the battlefield by their own actions not of God, they thought that it would bring God into action for them (almost in a blackmailing action).

they use the Ark like a pagan uses a charm. God teaches them a lesson/

But God would not allow the enemy to think they had defeated Him.. and so the Philistines suffer plagues etc. and so the story carries on.

we don't have prophets or priests and the tabernacle/ temple cultus, we have as you rightly say Christ in us, the power of the Spirit, yet God in His glorious goodness has given us His word, to bring to Salvation, by the power of the Spirit and to lead us through life and grow in wisdom and Love in Him.

If you mean we receive life through the blood of the cross and Christ's resurrection, and that,God softens our hearts and opens our eyes so that we can see the fullness and power of this simple message by the power of the Spirit, we exercise or Faith(as Abraham), and that through the scripture we learn about God, our relationship to him, learn of His will,His relationship to man, and that the word is our daily food (and without it we are not feeding our souls) etc,

Anyhow I think your saying that we live by the power of the Spirit sent to us through Christ, and without the spirit we do not have life, the Spirit gives us understanding of the Scriptures as our daily food, even just a small portion can feed you for a day (Spiritually) as the scriptures were inspired by the Spirit?

Its very hard to pin down exactly what you mean, especially on the word, I understand what you say about the Spirit, its the importance of Scripture thats I am not seeing in your posts, maybe its me lol.

Anyhow I am enjoying our discussion. and equal respect of opinion. too tired now too even have wrote what I have lol.

Kind regards

Phil

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
well then, let's pick it up again tomorrow if you are free.

i have an observation for then that i would like to pray on.

blessings brother, in his name,
vic

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
Ok, Vic that would be good. I'm at work but I am aloud to surf.

God bless

Phil

R

ryan7477

Nope! And I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to prove it in Scripture :)

See above!

challenge you on what? we need not be error many have lost eternal life because of false doctrine. what are you saying everybody goes to heaven?

R

ryan7477

Lol Hi Vic, you haven't offended me I am enjoying our discussion. And I am not in real disagreement with you, as I am sure you have sensed.

I equate the the power of God (Trinity) with the power behind the word. The Corinthians where more interested in how the message was spoken and not the eloquence of the rhetoric, yet Paul reminds them of the simple message of the cross, the message that seems foolish is the power that is saving us.

The word in the ark still had power, but God through his purpose to punish disobedience and if I remember correctly not waiting for Samuel were in disobedience, that's the context of that narrative. They new the defeat was of the Lord.. But by bringing the Ark to the battlefield by their own actions not of God, they thought that it would bring God into action for them (almost in a blackmailing action).

they use the Ark like a pagan uses a charm. God teaches them a lesson/

But God would not allow the enemy to think they had defeated Him.. and so the Philistines suffer plagues etc. and so the story carries on.

we don't have prophets or priests and the tabernacle/ temple cultus, we have as you rightly say Christ in us, the power of the Spirit, yet God in His glorious goodness has given us His word, to bring to Salvation, by the power of the Spirit and to lead us through life and grow in wisdom and Love in Him.

If you mean we receive life through the blood of the cross and Christ's resurrection, and that,God softens our hearts and opens our eyes so that we can see the fullness and power of this simple message by the power of the Spirit, we exercise or Faith(as Abraham), and that through the scripture we learn about God, our relationship to him, learn of His will,His relationship to man, and that the word is our daily food (and without it we are not feeding our souls) etc,

Anyhow I think your saying that we live by the power of the Spirit sent to us through Christ, and without the spirit we do not have life, the Spirit gives us understanding of the Scriptures as our daily food, even just a small portion can feed you for a day (Spiritually) as the scriptures were inspired by the Spirit?

Its very hard to pin down exactly what you mean, especially on the word, I understand what you say about the Spirit, its the importance of Scripture thats I am not seeing in your posts, maybe its me lol.

Anyhow I am enjoying our discussion. and equal respect of opinion. too tired now too even have wrote what I have lol.

Kind regards

Phil
do you believe in the trinity?

Feb 19, 2010
challenge you on what? we need not be error many have lost eternal life because of false doctrine. what are you saying everybody goes to heaven?
Not at all. I'd be the first to say that everyone will NOT go to heaven.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
do you believe in the trinity?

Hi Ryan,

If you read the post that you quote you will see that I do. (Second sentence, if that helps)

Kind regards

Phil