Does God exist outside of time?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
That is not far -fetched, but his presents is throughout all the universe. in the deepest part of hell ,is his presents, and the highest part of heaven is his presents.. He is everywhere ,if you must say.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Thread title says it all. I don't know which way to go on this one.

Give reasons why/why not.
I thought there was only day and night in God's concept of time.

Gen 1:5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
Time does exist where God lives,because he has a time for everything that has happened and will happen. Known as his appointed time.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Time does not exist for God, He created time for us, and because of us.

Gabriel2020

May 6, 2017
Time exist because of all creation. It was before man was put on the earth. God even mentioned Satan the dragon, the ancient one. Time.

Dec 12, 2013
The lofty one that inhabits eternity is clear as......and we can even take it a step further....God is light <--"is" is a "be" verb and shows state of being.....hit the speed of light and time stops.....hence God dwelling in eternity!

M

Miri

Hope this link works, this is a brilliant answer to where God came from

If God is affected by time, space or matter He is not God.
God created time, space and matter!

[video]https://www.facebook.com/faithinsider/videos/165830054063761/?type=2&amp;theater[/video]

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Could it be calculated? This person does this, so then this will happen, and because this happened this necessarily happens. I've heard it said that God knows all possible futures. For example...

2 Kings 13:18-19 King James Version (KJV)

18 And he said, Take the arrows. And he took them. And he said unto the king of Israel, Smite upon the ground. And he smote thrice, and stayed.
19 And the man of God was wroth with him, and said, Thou shouldest have smitten five or six times; then hadst thou smitten Syria till thou hadst consumed it: whereas now thou shalt smite Syria but thrice.

He could've won, but he didn't do the action enough times that would've given him the victory. This was an alternate reality, if you will. Or, we can speculate that this isn't saying something so great but is simply relaying the facts. Maybe no different than saying, had you not watched that movie you wouldn't have been sad. Cause and effect, not prophetic.

Knowing the calculations then, of what will result from decisions, does that then mean there really are other possibilities that could've happened, or simply knowledge of them, as opposed to them possibly being carried out? Knowing what will happen as a result of a decision doesn't mean that such a decision was ever going to be made, or could've been made.

God knowing the hearts of men, knowing them through and through, I suppose we could say He makes a hypothesis, but one that is concrete. Do we surprise God?

I know this, not all prophecy is a foretelling of the future, but a forthtelling. Meaning that God makes what He says will happen, happen. He divinely intervenes, creating the desired result. Not that He just knows the future, but He creates the future.

This post Ben, is what irks me, when people cease from seeking, or striving to the "high calling", of God, in Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior! Usually, with the apathetic mindset, attitude, "motto", of "I've read the back of the book!" "We win!" Or? "God is in control!" Implying, or insinuating, that NOTHING, or anything, I may, or may not do, has, or shall have, ANY effect, and shall change....nothing! So? I keep my faith in Christ, and "ride in the wagon, until Jesus comes again, or my flesh body dies! Whichever comes first!"

The cares and worries of this life, aka traditions of men, eats up so much of the Word of God, like so many birdy's, pecking away, and consuming the seed(s) sown in us. That it leaves more of a void, then is realized! So, it is (in my mind, anyways), little wonder, so many people, strive, by means of Dr.'s, and big pharma (sorcerers), in the "clinging" to this life, til the bitter end!

as for the OP? Of course, God exists outside of time! And space too, for that matter! :eek:

Joseppi

Jan 4, 2018
God is almighty.

Therefore, God does as he pleases.

Therefore, he can choose to limit himself with respect to time.

And since...

2 Peter 3:8 ...one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

...therefore, when it pleases God to work within a time frame, time doesn’t limit God’s ability to accomplish all he is pleased to accomplish.

This understanding shows that God’s six days of creation work could’ve been accomplished instantaneously, or he could’ve decided to do it all in one day, or over an eon.
The conclusion being that six days was chosen on purpose to teach man and angel a truth.

God says his work on earth is a short work.

Romans 9:28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.

This all means that time is meaningful to God, and is determined by him to suit his pleasure.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I'm leaning ever more to Him existing in time and space and beyond time and space.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Thread title says it all. I don't know which way to go on this one.

Give reasons why/why not.
He is transcendent!

He lives outside of time, space and the material universe!

Titus 1v2: "in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began."

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Also remember He is omnipresent as well. Matt 18v20

CS1

May 23, 2012
God is the First Cause Uncaused. The Self-existent One. Time does not command God ; God commands time to HIS purpose. To man time is important because God is the one who Dictates man’s time here on earth.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Time and eternity will never meet, except in the Incarnation.
Then the two will walk together forever :rolleyes: .

(sorry about my mathematical poetry LOL)

P

pottersclay

The first sentence of the Bible answers this.

In the beginning (time) God created the heavens (space) and the earth ( matter). No big bang, no time, out of nothingness.

He created time and the seasons by position of planets, stars, and the rotation of the cycles in which they orbit.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
IMHO, time is a perception which is seen in two great lights set in the bowed cloud which covers the earth like a garment to be for signs, and for seasons and for days and for years and heard in Genesis 6:3

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
I mean, did God have a first thought, or a first word? While He is eternal, the great I AM, cannot He take a moment that occurred and then start from there, as a measure of time? When He created Heaven and angels, for example, that was a "moment in time", no? A point of reference, which can be dated back.

Eternity is timeless, but cannot God consider a reference point and go from there? The moment He did anything is the moment time could be told, technically, right?

joaniemarie

Jan 4, 2017
I mean, did God have a first thought, or a first word? While He is eternal, the great I AM, cannot He take a moment that occurred and then start from there, as a measure of time? When He created Heaven and angels, for example, that was a "moment in time", no? A point of reference, which can be dated back.

Eternity is timeless, but cannot God consider a reference point and go from there? The moment He did anything is the moment time could be told, technically, right?

SAY WHAT?????? :confused:

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
Okay, lol, let me try to clarify. God has always existed. Right? So, whenever He did something, anything, is the point at which we can then measure time.

"-" <---- represents eternity, okay? "_" <------ this represents an action or point in eternity that occurred. The arrows at each end will represent going on forever, no beginning and no end.

<----------------_----------------->

So, what we can gather from this is that time can only be measured at the moment ( "_") something occurs, and prior to that moment time couldn't be told or measured.

Now, when we take that "occurrence" or "moment" and wait for another, we then can tell time, based upon measurement.

<-------------_---------------------------_-------->

At least, to me, that seems logical. That time can only work with a reference point (in our case, a beginning), but in eternity as a moment taking place and then from there onward.

Its kind of weird to think of, because God has always existed with no beginning and no end, He is eternal, so does that mean He doesn't have a first action, thought, creation, or moment that can be measured? At the very least, from an eternal stand point, God could measure how long it has been since He created the world from eternity, or use any, again, moment that took place and then start counting (such as Heaven, angels, etc).