Drum in Church Worship

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
As a Native American Christian, I'm always interested in what Christians of other ethnic groups think about drums in worship, more specifically Native hand drums or pow wow drums. I've been to a pentecostal church where the pastor and other members used a pow wow drum, and I've heard of a first Baptist Church that also uses a pow wow drum, though I haven't been able to visit there yet. Ant thoughts as to whether this practice is right or wrong?

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
As a Native American Christian, I'm always interested in what Christians of other ethnic groups think about drums in worship, more specifically Native hand drums or pow wow drums. I've been to a pentecostal church where the pastor and other members used a pow wow drum, and I've heard of a first Baptist Church that also uses a pow wow drum, though I haven't been able to visit there yet. Ant thoughts as to whether this practice is right or wrong?
I don’t find it wrong as long as the praise is going to God instead of man.

We occasionally use our cultural drums for special events (combined services etc) and our piano players use the beats on their organs or from their laptops.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for your input, Mel. I've read a few articles calling the use of any Native implements syncretism, but the sources don't usually have any real biblical basis for condemning them.

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
:)

In my native land Samoa, in the old days they only had a flaxed mat to use for rhythm when singing their hymns. That practice is still being used by some congregations to this day.

M

Miri

We use also sorts of percussion instruments, hand drums, as well as modern drums.

Looks like the psalmist tried to include all the instruments of the day.

No reason why we shouldn’t too. :)

Ive been to a few music workshops in the past, where we
used all sorts of instruments, both modern and old.

Psalm 150:3-5 NKJV
[3] Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him
with the lute and harp! [4] Praise Him with the timbrel
and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and
flutes! [5] Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him
with clashing cymbals!

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you for your input, Miri. I can see you flying around London with your umbrella.

M

Miri

I wish. Lol

Wouldnt mind the ability to click my fingers and for all the cleaning to be done. Ha ha

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Yes, that would be nice, wouldn't it?

R

Ralph-

I've been to a pentecostal church where the pastor and other members used a pow wow drum, and I've heard of a first Baptist Church that also uses a pow wow drum, though I haven't been able to visit there yet. Ant thoughts as to whether this practice is right or wrong?
Right or wrong is probably subjective.

I despise the heavy rock beat modern contemporary Christian music has these days. The drums are too loud and driving and destroys real worship and distracts from thinking about God and the words of the song. But as long as they don't overwhelm the experience I personally see no problem with drums in worship. And that's true for any other element of music in worship. If it detracts from focusing on God and causes you to focus on the music and the singer instead you're doing something wrong. Enjoyable, but wrong.

My other concern is how drums are used to induce an altered state of consciousness in pagan worship rituals to open them up to demonic spiritual experiences. I think it's wrong to use that technique in the worship of God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I play drums, both kit and percussion. I recall an event with an African speaker. I was warming up on the kit and he expressed grave concern for the presence of drums at all. In hindsight I can see his perspective; in his culture, drums were closely associated with "calling demons". I don't know how they are used in Native American spirituality, but I do know there are some sinister associations.

My view is this: God created music, including rhythm, and everything that is used for dark purposes is a corruption of God's good purposes. As long as the people using the instruments are playing for God's glory, it's good.

One concern I would offer: I would pray over any "native" instrument before using it in worship to break any spiritual ties put there by its previous owners.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Right or wrong is probably subjective.

I despise the heavy rock beat modern contemporary Christian music has these days. The drums are too loud and driving and destroys real worship and distracts from thinking about God and the words of the song. But as long as they don't overwhelm the experience I personally see no problem with drums in worship. And that's true for any other element of music in worship. If it detracts from focusing on God and causes you to focus on the music and the singer instead you're doing something wrong. Enjoyable, but wrong.

My other concern is how drums are used to induce an altered state of consciousness in pagan worship rituals to open them up to demonic spiritual experiences. I think it's wrong to use that technique in the worship of God.
I get what ur saying. For larger churches there doesnt seem to be much problem. But if u consider most of our local Christian churches, they arent normally large buildings, and when drums are used, it seems appropriate not to make it so loouud, as it is distracting.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for your input, Mar09. I agree that too loud is too loud. This is just one reason I stopped visiting some pentecostal churches. I used chainsaws and skilsaws for years, so if it's too loud for me, then it must be horrible for those without hearing loss.

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
Any instrument can be used to worship/praise God as long as it's done in spirit and truth (John 4:24).

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for your input, JonahLynx, I agree.