Eating the flesh of Jesus

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
I was on the website justforcatholics.org and read a tract called "Why Did the Disciples Leave". He juxtaposes two verses with similar construction Jn 6:40 and Jn 6:54

"Everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him at the last day" (v40).

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day" (v54)

The author says that the similar construction means that to eat his flesh means to believe in him. My question is that eating someones flesh is biblical metaphorical language and means to violently assault them.
See Is 9:18-20, Is 49:26, Micah 3:1-3, 2 Sam 23:15-17, Rev 17:6, and Rev 17:16. Why would Jesus use such language to mean believe in me?

A

Ariel82

Jesus is the Passover lamb.

It's symbolic language. To "eat" of the Manna from Heaven is to take the Holy Spirit into your heart and soul.

It doesn't have to do with assaulting anyone.,,just because a word can be used ten different ways,doesn't mean you should apply it all ten ways.

Context is key to understanding scriptures or really any conversation.

The word "key" can also mean a metal device used to unlock a door.....would you conclude that I want you to find a metal device?

A

Ariel82

Adam said to Eve "flesh of my flesh"

The church is called the Bride of Christ, or the Body of Christ.

I guess there is a reason why it's called a mystery to some

What exactly is it that you don't understand?.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I was on the website justforcatholics.org and read a tract called "Why Did the Disciples Leave". He juxtaposes two verses with similar construction Jn 6:40 and Jn 6:54

"Everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him at the last day" (v40).

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day" (v54)

The author says that the similar construction means that to eat his flesh means to believe in him. My question is that eating someones flesh is biblical metaphorical language and means to violently assault them.
See Is 9:18-20, Is 49:26, Micah 3:1-3, 2 Sam 23:15-17, Rev 17:6, and Rev 17:16. Why would Jesus use such language to mean believe in me?

Greetings in the Lord Metternich,

When the Lord met with His disciples in the upper room, He took bread and broke it saying, take this and eat, for this is my body. Then he took the cup and He said, drink this for this is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for the sins of many.

Therefore, since the Lord broke literal bread and gave them literal wine to drink and not His literal flesh and blood, then these two elements are symbolic representing the Lord's body that was broken for us and His blood that was shed for us. Regarding this, Roman Catholicism interprets this in the literal sense and thereby changing the two elements of the bread and wine into the Eucharist with transubstantiation taking place, which is the process of calling Christ down out of heaven to enter the Eucharist where it retains its outer appearance with its substance becoming the literal flesh and blood of Christ. In fact, they have an anathema dogmatized in their counsels against anyone who says that the bread and wine are only symbolically representing the Lord's flesh and blood.

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
I just thought that it was odd to use an already existing metaphor for an entirely different meaning. Sounds like a good way to confuse your audience.

A

Ariel82

A good way to separate the wheat from the chaff too...

Jesus often challenged people preconceived ideas about what they think God says through scriptures.
.for example the Saducees and the fact that Jacob and Abraham are ALIVE when GOD spoke to Moses for God is the God of the living and not the dead.

A

Ariel82

He challenged the Jewish keeping of the legalistic Sabbath traditions.

He challenged the concept of the Temple and replaced it with the fact our bodies are His temple because we house the Holy spirit.

In the same manner we become flesh of His flesh.

A

Ariel82

Isaiah 9:18 -20 isn't a parallel verse...

Jesus refers to himself as the Manna from heaven....

Not as wickedness so much so that folks eat their own kids.

A

Ariel82

Eating your own flesh is not the same...is 49:26

It's like comparing wisdom of the world and heavenly wisdom...or eating junk food versus a healthy salad...
.you can eat/consume either but one will help you grow into the person God intends you to be and the other will make you obese self centered worldly hypocrite.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I just thought that it was odd to use an already existing metaphor for an entirely different meaning. Sounds like a good way to confuse your audience.
The word of God is often referred to symbolically as food. To eat His flesh and drink His blood, is to consume Christ into our lives. Remember when Jesus was speaking to the Samaritan woman and when the disciples returned from buying food and they urged him to eat and Jesus said "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." The food that the Lord was referring to was the word of God. We also have examples of Ezekiel and John eating scrolls symbolically representing the word as food.

A

Ariel82

Micah 3...,will have to study that more. Maybe Jesus was referring back to this verse in His reference as a warning to the priests who hate and want to kill him?

Not sure though. Interesting scripture.

A

Ariel82

The word of God is often referred to symbolically as food. To eat His flesh and drink His blood, is to consume Christ into our lives. Remember when Jesus was speaking to the Samaritan woman and when the disciples returned from buying food and they urged him to eat and Jesus said "I have food to eat that you know nothing about." The food that the Lord was referring to was the word of God. We also have examples of Ezekiel and John eating scrolls symbolically representing the word as food.
Also when Satan tempted Jesus to turn a stone into bread,he answered "man shall not live by bread alone but from every word spoken of God"

A

Ariel82

2 Samuel 23 is about David refusing to drink water because 3 men risked their lives for it and he honored the fact they could have been killed by offering the water to God instead.....not sure how these verses relate to your original post.

Aug 8, 2017

Jesus is the word of God..

Deuteronomy 8:3
He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

slave

Mar 20, 2015
Jesus did say, concerning the Last Supper, "This do in remembrance for Me." (Luke 22:19). But there is no Scripture to substantiate the Roman contention that a Roman Catholic priest has some strange and magic power to actually change bread into the flesh of Jesus and wine into the blood of Jesus.

There is no Scripture exhorting Christians to celebrate the Mass. And not only is there not one word about this sacrifice in the New Testament; there is no account of the apostles or early Christians ever celebrating the Mass. And for Christians in any age to do so is to deny the Scriptural teaching that, "by one suffering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." (Hebrews 10:14); and, "who needeth not daily, as these high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's; for this He did once, when He offered up Himself." (Hebrews 7:27). Jesus Christ sent the apostles out to preach the Gospel - He never once told them to "say" the Mass.

You see as you study this a bit, the whole system of the sacrifice of the Mass, as the Roman Catholic Church practices it, is taken directly from pagan rituals and has been incorporated into the Roman tradition and raised to the level of high and colorful religious ceremony by the Roman Catholic Church. But it is still pagan, and it is a detrimental perversion of the completed Atonement of Jesus Christ.

Thus, As Scripture points out, we are not eating the actual flesh of Christ having Him put to death over and over to eradicate our sins. Communion is for Christians only, and the reason for that is it is a real communal experience with Our Lord and Savior. This cannot be, if one is not a Christian. So, I believe based on the Bible that when Christ died on the Cross He died once for all -

And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, He sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until His enemies should be made a footstool for His feet. For by a single offering He has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,

"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put My laws on their hearts, and write them on their minds."

Then He adds:

I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more."

Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin. (Hebrews 10:11-18).

I do not believe in the flesh being eaten in actuality. I could never believe in the incredible heresy of the Roman Catholic Church that every time a Roman Catholic priest says the Mass, Christ is crucified afresh on that Roman Catholic alter.

I believe that the observance of the Lord's Supper is a symbolic (yet real spiritual experience) remembrance of Christ's death. (1 Corinthians 11:24). Thus, I do not believe the fantastic claims of the Roman Catholic Church that her priests are mysteriously able to change common bread and wine into the actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

I would not be going to a catholic site seeking any wisdom about the Scriptures..

Jesus was identified by John the Baptist as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.. Jesus was executed on the day of Passover.. The first Passover happened in Egypt when the Hebrews where instructed to obtain a lamb without blemish and kill it and anoint their homes door lintel with the Blood of that Lamb and to make sure they fully consume the meat of that lamb so that would avail them protection from the Angel of death which went out to every household not covered in the Blood of a Lamb to kill the first born in those households.. The Angel Passed Over ( Passover) every home that had the Blood of the lamb anointing it and the people inside where safe from the Angel of death..

So with this in mind we can understand what Jesus was talking about in the verse you have quoted..

Metternich

Jan 13, 2018
I would not be going to a catholic site seeking any wisdom about the Scriptures..

Jesus was identified by John the Baptist as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.. Jesus was executed on the day of Passover.. The first Passover happened in Egypt when the Hebrews where instructed to obtain a lamb without blemish and kill it and anoint their homes door lintel with the Blood of that Lamb and to make sure they fully consume the meat of that lamb so that would avail them protection from the Angel of death which went out to every household not covered in the Blood of a Lamb to kill the first born in those households.. The Angel Passed Over ( Passover) every home that had the Blood of the lamb anointing it and the people inside where safe from the Angel of death..

So with this in mind we can understand what Jesus was talking about in the verse you have quoted..

justforcatholics.org is an anti-Catholic website.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
There are some good articles on the justforcatholics.org website. :)

Jesus is the Bread of Life. Just as bread nourishes our physical bodies, Jesus gives and sustains eternal life to all believers. "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst." (John 6:35) As He was accustomed, Jesus used figurative language to emphasize these great spiritual truths. Jesus explains the sense of the entire passage when He says, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life." (John 6:63)

The literal interpretation is absurd and revolting, leading to cannibalism and the drinking of blood contrary to the commandment of God. No eating of any flesh can give spiritual life. By faith we partake of Christ, and the benefits of His bodily sacrifice on the cross and the merits of His shed blood, receiving and enjoying eternal life. Eating and drinking is not with the mouth and the digestive organs of our bodies, but the reception of God’s grace by believing in Christ, as He makes abundantly clear by repeating the same truths both in metaphoric and plain language. Compare for example the following two verses:

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life” (v47).

“He who eats this bread will live forever” (v58).

“He who believes” in Christ is equivalent to “he who eats this bread” because the result is the same, eternal life. The parallel is even more striking between verses 40 and 54:

“Everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day” (v40).

“Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day” (v54).

John 6 does not afford any support to the false Roman Catholic doctrine of transubstantiation. On the contrary, it is an emphatic statement on the primacy of faith as the means by which we receive the grace of God. Jesus is the Bread of Life; we eat of Him and are satisfied when we believe in Him.

Bread represents the "staff of life." Sustenance. That which essential to sustain life. Just as bread or sustenance is necessary to maintain physical life, Jesus is all the sustenance necessary for spiritual life.

The source of physical life is blood -- "life is in the blood." As with the bread, just as blood is the empowering or source of life physically, Jesus is all the source of spiritual life necessary.

The Bread of Life

Mar 28, 2016

The author says that the similar construction means that to eat his flesh means to believe in him. My question is that eating someones flesh is biblical metaphorical language and means to violently assault them. See Is 9:18-20, Is 49:26, Micah 3:1-3, 2 Sam 23:15-17, Rev 17:6, and Rev 17:16. Why would Jesus use such language to mean believe in me?
Why? He hides the spiritual understanding from those he is not drawing according to His faith .The same faith that works in those who do have the Spirit of Christ.

The Catholic must as a law of their fathers simply refuse to walk by faith (the unseen) they therefore need to make it after the literal as that seen to give the illusion the kingdom of God is of this world and we must walk by sight as if our understanding did come by observation.In that way they must make the commandment to walk by faith and not by sight without effect...so that they can serve that seen the flesh of men

I would suggest that without parables Christ, the word of God spoke not. Hiding the spiritual understanding from natural man while at the same time giving his kingdom of priest the honor to to search out his spiritual understanding as if searching for silver or gold .

To eat or drink spiritually is to do the will of another. It’s the kind of food the disciples knew not of.

Clean animals are used throughout the old testament.This is before the time of reformation came when Christ said...it is finished. This was to represent the gospel in respect to the suffering of Christ beforehand hand and the glory that did follow.. the opening of the graves of the Old testament saints that did have the Spirit of Christ as the first resurrection .

Because of that we can see the gospel, the same gospel we look back to the cross is the same gospel those (tens of thousands of saints ) who were in the temporal presence of the bosom of Abraham as a temporal holding place before Christ said it is finished.

1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

To drink the literal blood of a sacrifice is an abomination .It must be poured out at the foot of the altar as was the literal blood of the Son of man to return to indicate its foundation, of lifeless, spiritless dust and water .

There are many references that show that kind of abomination (drink literal blood) when men refused to look to the spiritual understanding.

But as usual we are giving the honor to search out that understanding hid in parables . We compare the spiritual, unseen, to the same.

If we compare the parable (drink my blood in John 6) to another parable as to its spirutl understanding . It would seem being yoked with Christ easy to see that to drink the blood of of men as it related to the Son of man Jesus . Again God cannot die so to drink the blood simply and miraculously means to give ones Spirit life in jeopardy of His own Spirit.

Its never about the literal to what the eyes see.(no faith)

God simply gave the gospel beforehand through the parables so that they could walk by faith and not by sight..

The kind of drink David longed for was the gospel . Christ comforted David using the temporal to give david the spirutl understanding just as he does with us. The parable below is loaded with metaphors to include drink the blood

And David was then in an hold, and the garrison of the Philistines was then in Bethlehem.And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate!And the three mighty men brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: nevertheless he would not drink thereof, but poured it out
unto the LORD.And he said, Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this: is not this the blood of the men that went in jeopardy of their lives? therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mighty men.2Sa 23:14

To "drink blood" is to give who spirit life in jeopardy for another .God cannot die he give spirit life in jeopardy of his won .

When we drink of His blood we are exercising/working out (not working for to gain ) the faith of Christ that does work in us to both will and do His good pleasure .Just as it was imputed to David

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
This was not meant to confuse the audience but to take their eyes off the physical and focus them on the spiritual. Christ's audience should have automatically understood that He could not possibly be speaking about His physical flesh and blood, since that would have been cannibalism. But Jesus went on to explain that these were metaphors for receiving Him spiritually into their very souls and spirits. As to the Mass, it is a complete travesty of Bible truth, and literally causes Christ to be sacrificed over and over again.