Faith or Unbelief?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lighthousejohn

I offer the following for those who have questions about their faith.

- Faith believes the Word of God; but unbelief questions it (Psa 106:24).

- Faith holds fast to a promise of God to help; but unbelief says, “How can these things be?” (Rom 4:19-21; 2 Kings 7:2; John 3:11,12).

- Faith will make you see love in the heart of Christ; but unbelief will imagine wrath in his heart (Matt 15:22,28; Num 13; 2 Chron 14:3).

- Faith will give comfort in the midst of fears; but unbelief causes fears in the midst of comfort (2 Chron 20:20,21; Matt 8:26; Luke 24:26,27).

- Faith will suck sweetness out of God’s rod; but unbelief can find no comfort in his greatest mercies (Psa 23:4; Num 21).

- Faith makes great burdens light; but unbelief makes light ones heavy (2 Cor 4:1; 14-18; Mal 1:12,13).

- Faith helps us when we are down; but unbelief throws us down when we are up (Micah 7:8-10; Heb 4:11).

- Faith brings us near to God when we are far from him; but unbelief puts us far from God when we are near to him (Heb 10:22; 3:12,13).

- Where faith reigns, it declares men to be the friends of God; but where unbelief reigns, it declares them to be his enemies (John 3:23; Heb 3:18; Rev 21:8).

- Faith puts a man under grace; but unbelief holds him under wrath (Rom 3:24-26; 14:6; Eph 2:8; John 3:36; 1 John 5:10; Heb 3:17; Mark 16:16).

- Faith purifies the heart; but unbelief keeps it polluted and impure (Acts 15:9; Titus 1:15,16).

- By faith, the righteousness of Christ is imputed to us; but by unbelief, we are shut up under the law to perish (Rom 4:23,24; 11:32; Gal 3:23).

- Faith makes our work acceptable to God through Christ; but work done in unbelief is sin. For without faith it is impossible to please him (Heb 11:4; Rom 14:23; Heb 6:6).

- Faith gives us peace and comfort in our souls; but unbelief works trouble and trial, like the restless waves of the sea (Rom 5:1; James 1:6).

- Faith makes us to see preciousness in Christ; but unbelief sees no form, beauty, or comeliness in him (1 Peter 2:7; Isa 53:2,3).

- By faith we have our life in Christ’s fullness; but by unbelief we starve and pine away (Gal 2:20).

- Faith gives us the victory over the law, sin, death, the devil, and all evils; but unbelief lays us obnoxious to them all (1 John 5:4,5; Luke 12:46).

- Faith will show us more excellence in things not seen, than in them that are; but unbelief sees more in things that are seen, than in things that will be hereafter;. (2 Cor 4:18; Heb 11:24-27; 1 Cor 15:32).

- Faith makes the ways of God pleasant and admirable; but unbelief makes them heavy and hard (Gal 5:6; 1 Cor 12:10,11; John 6:60; Psa 2:3).

- By faith Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob possessed the land of promise; but because of unbelief, neither Aaron, nor Moses, nor Miriam could get there (Heb 11:9; 3:19).

- By faith the children of Israel passed through the Red Sea; but by unbelief the generality of them perished in the wilderness (Heb 11:29; Jude 5).

- By faith Gideon did more with three hundred men, and a few empty pitchers, than all the twelve tribes could do, because they believed not God (Judg 7:16-22; Num 14:11,14).

- By faith Peter walked on the water; but by unbelief he began to sink (Matt 14:28-30).

- John Bunyan

In Christ,
John

L

lighthousejohn

I appreciate all those who have read this. I offered it for reference only. No response is required. My hope is that someone will find encouragement or knowledge from the references.

In Christ,
jOHN

704champion

hey john,

was just wanting to say, GOOD WORK!!! those are encouraging Words. also, your dedication to the work of Christ!!!

thank you!

blake

W

worldlover

in other words, faith gives us the power to overcome things that we think we couldn't

L

lighthousejohn

in other words, faith gives us the power to overcome things that we think we couldn't
Yes, or at least the strength to endure them.

In Christ,
John

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Good words again, thankyou Jesus.
Good words to print and frame for in the bathroom.
My Mom loved to do this for us as children, we all kept the best scriptures in memmory because of this.
Thankyou LTJ
God bless, pickles

Oct 1, 2009
I've been wanting to unload this little gem for a while and I believe this is the best place to put it.
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Luk 24:24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

The point here being that Christ emphasizes his word far above any miracles he did. Think also about John 4, the Samaritans believed him because of his word.
Joh 4:41 And many more believed because of his word.
Joh 4:42 They said to the woman, "It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world."
And yet when he went to his own in Galilee...
Joh 4:44 (For Jesus himself had testified that a prophet has no honor in his own hometown.)
Joh 4:48 So Jesus said to him, "Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe."
Mat 13:57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household."
Mat 13:58 And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

Most of the church and people nowadays would believe if God did signs and wonders yet never kept his word. Yet we should be the opposite. We should believe because he has declared and done it.

L

lighthousejohn

I've been wanting to unload this little gem for a while and I believe this is the best place to put it.
Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Luk 24:24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
Luk 24:25 Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
Luk 24:26 Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
Luk 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
Luk 24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

The point here being that Christ emphasizes his word far above any miracles he did. Think also about John 4, the Samaritans believed him because of his word.
Joh 4:41 And many more believed because of his word.
Joh 4:42 They said to the woman, "It is no longer because of what you said that we believe, for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is indeed the Savior of the world."
And yet when he went to his own in Galilee...
Joh 4:44 (For Jesus himself had testified that a prophet has no honor in his own hometown.)
Joh 4:48 So Jesus said to him, "Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe."
Mat 13:57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household."
Mat 13:58 And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief.

Most of the church and people nowadays would believe if God did signs and wonders yet never kept his word. Yet we should be the opposite. We should believe because he has declared and done it.
Pete,

You are absolutely correct. But I wonder if a hard hearted people would believe even if there were signs and wonders. People today are much like the Isrealites of Jesus' day, refusing to believe despite the evidence before them. To complete your intial reference;
“17Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. 18But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:
"Their voice has gone out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world."19Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says,
"I will make you envious by those who are not a nation;
I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding."20And Isaiah boldly says,
"I was found by those who did not seek me;
I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me."21But concerning Israel he says,
"All day long I have held out my hands
to a disobedient and obstinate people."
Romans 10:17-21 (NIV)
We must do all that Christ commands us to to to get across His message of faith over unbelief. I urge us all to share the Word in truth and share the gospel with all.
In Christ,
John