Fasting!!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kennethcadwell

Three days is my limit. No food, no water and three days is about all I can do.
That 3rd day is a hard point to overcome, but when I fasted for the whole week after the third and fourth days. I amazingly felt refreshed and stronger then I did on day two, and at the end I felt better then before I started.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
I can testify that even after 40, a person can still climb a mountain by the power of God.

C

cmarieh

You don't have to fast just from food. You can fast from watching television, internet, or shopping. Because the true meaning of fasting is removing something in your life that is important to you so you can spend more quality time with God in reflection.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Amen. I am going to fast indefinitely starting in about a week.

If people don't want to separate completely from the unclean thing...then that is up to them I suppose...and I believe God will change their hearts to desire such.

2 Corinthians 6:16-18King James Version (KJV)

16*And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17*Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
18*And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

May 3, 2013
Fasting?

Healthy for the spirit, the body and our character...

Later, when reading about Jesus´"formula" he gave a "cosmetic" tip I haven´t read as spiritual "fashion". He said:

Mat 6:17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,

Mat 6:17 So when you fast, wash your face and make yourself look nice.

Mat 6:18 that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

However! There were some who liked that "cosmetic" and spiritual recipe several times a week:

Luk_18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
It is dangerous to go without water. Second only to going without air.

How Long Can You Live Without Water? | Curiosity Aroused

We should fast from food, in order to seek God. I had to do some spiritual retreats during Seminary. It was the most amazing time. I really heard from God, and it is something I need to do again.

I do think that we can abstain from media, and it will have benefits. We just moved, and spent a week without phone, internet or TV. I spent a lot of time reading my Bible, praying and studying Koine Greek of the New Testament .I felt so much more peaceful, and closer to God than the usual hectic life which results from the intrusion of the media.

Mind you, once the media was hooked up, I went back to my usual patterns of internet addiction! I am just glad that TV doesn't hold such an allure for me!

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
Have to agree with Angela on this.
God has only led me to fast from water once, and it was like half of a day.
And I felt not led to fast further, because God said in my heart something like, see, this is how My Word is important for you and how much it is needed, and I made water so needful that you might understand this about the Word of God. I had that "lesson learned" feeling, filled a glass with water and drank it, and thanked God.
I've been led later to fast from food again, but never from water. It's vert important not to fast on our own without Spirit guidance. I've seen videos on youtube of a girl who has done two or three consecutive 40-day fasts and visibly wrecked her health. That, per example, is apparently not by God's guidance. God Himself will put on your heart to fast and instruct you exactly how.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
I am going to only drink water (both physically and spiritually) for quite some time on a coast to coast trail.
I am weak though...so I will take a tent, a zero degree sleeping bag, and as much water as I can carry. I have already been without water for three and a half days...food for 40 days and nights...and this time I do not think I will ever eat food according to the flesh again. Not saying anyone should do this without the approval of God, but if you believe God approves of you doing this as well...care to join me? I can wait if others want to walk the trail with me. It is the American discovery trail that I will walk next. I will not drink anything but water, but if anyone cares to join me they can fast as they believe God wants them to according to the measure of faith given.

M

Mitspa

I thought we where supposed to fast in private? Funny how everybody who fast loves to let folks know about it?

M

Mitspa

You don't have to fast just from food. You can fast from watching television, internet, or shopping. Because the true meaning of fasting is removing something in your life that is important to you so you can spend more quality time with God in reflection.
Wisdom...in fact God would much rather some of us turn off the TV and the Computer...than to starve ourselves...which is not even taught in the New Testament.

May 3, 2013
Were you talking about removing some yeast?

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Hmm... Everybody who reads the Bible knows about Jesus fast in the woods. Did He keep it secret for long? No.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Hmmm. It appears that I will be walking the American discovery trail by my self (although God is with me). See ya from the the other side I guess. I love you all.

May 22, 2014
So glad its not just me who has been thinking this in modern these are what we should fast from great how long do you fast from these for? I am looking to try the same.

M

Marian29

So true it doesn't have to be food it can be anything. For me I stayed off of my Kindle fire for a week you can also do the same for tv or iPhone/cell phone
What about being without all this unuseful social networks (whatsapp, facebook...) till the return of Christ?... :)

M

Marian29

Praying? Very important...
Fasting?... Very important too...