Film on C.H. Spurgeon

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jimmydiggs

I like Spurgeon. I find much of what taught still relevant for today. For those who like Spurgeon, I strongly suggest checking out Andrew Murray. Both his testimony and sermons are amazing.
Are we thinking of the same Andrew Murray? The Dutch Reformed Church missionary to South Africa?

This guy?

C

Crossfire

Are we thinking of the same Andrew Murray? The Dutch Reformed Church missionary to South Africa?

This guy?

Yes...

Surprised? *lol*

No Calvinist should go without reading Murray's works. Let me rephrase that... no Christian should go without reading Murray's works.

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
It's funny how you guys are talking about Andrew Murray, because I just purchased a book of his this afternoon. It is called "Humility" and although it is a short book (my copy is only 101 pages) it is supposed to be one of the best exhortations to move Christians to exercise the virtue of humility in our day-to-day lives. Hopefully the book will be as good as its reputation.

And I would also like to second the recommendation for the Charles Spurgeon documentary. I have watched it myself and enjoyed it thoroughly. I especially like the fact how at the age of 16 Charles Spurgeon was actually "tricked" into becoming a preacher, and he would go on to become one of the greatest preachers in history. God definitely works in mysterious ways!!!

"A people hungering after righteousness, and a minister anxious to feed their souls, will act in sweetest harmony with each other when their common theme is the Word of the Lord."
- Charles Spurgeon, Lectures To My Students, Lecture #9, pg 141

C

Crossfire

It's funny how you guys are talking about Andrew Murray, because I just purchased a book of his this afternoon. It is called "Humility" and although it is a short book (my copy is only 101 pages) it is supposed to be one of the best exhortations to move Christians to exercise the virtue of humility in our day-to-day lives. Hopefully the book will be as good as its reputation.

And I would also like to second the recommendation for the Charles Spurgeon documentary. I have watched it myself and enjoyed it thoroughly. I especially like the fact how at the age of 16 Charles Spurgeon was actually "tricked" into becoming a preacher, and he would go on to become one of the greatest preachers in history. God definitely works in mysterious ways!!!

"A people hungering after righteousness, and a minister anxious to feed their souls, will act in sweetest harmony with each other when their common theme is the Word of the Lord."
- Charles Spurgeon, Lectures To My Students, Lecture #9, pg 141

Cool!

While I already have several books by Murray in my library, earlier today I ran across and picked up Murray's daily devotional called 'Teach Me How To Pray' for just under $3 at a local close out retailer. I will most likely keep it for myself however, if I feel led I may give it away as a present for the upcoming holidays seeing as I already have Murray's complete works on CD.

J

jimmydiggs

Yes...

Surprised? *lol*
Yeah, I am surprised. Both by that and your attitude toward Spurgeon. Have you forgotten, that these men saw that the bible teaches Calvinism?

J

jimmydiggs

I just finished this one on John Wycliffe. It serves as a reminder of the abuses of the RCC.

JOHN WYCLIFFE - YouTube <--- click

K

kayem77

i just finished watching it, it was a really interesting and touching movie :) thanks for sharing jimmy!
God bless.

C

Crossfire

Yeah, I am surprised. Both by that and your attitude toward Spurgeon. Have you forgotten, that these men saw that the bible teaches Calvinism?

I've both read and listened to Spurgeon's sermons (read by a third party speaker). A trained eye / ear can clearly discern what is Bible from what is Calvinism. ;) However, as I said before, I feel that much of what He has to say concerning his diagnosis of the church as well as the world are still relevant today.

Personally, I prefer Murray over Spurgeon.

C

Crossfire

I just finished this one on John Wycliffe. It serves as a reminder of the abuses of the RCC.

JOHN WYCLIFFE - YouTube <--- click

The testimony of Jon Hus is also an amazing story about an amazing man. If my memory serves me correct, Hus was burned at the stake by the RCC.

Keep digging Jimmy. There were more Reformers, some of which had nothing to do with Calvinism.

J

jimmydiggs

I've both read and listened to Spurgeon's sermons (read by a third party speaker). A trained eye / ear can clearly discern what is Bible from what is Calvinism. ;)
It is the bible that leads me to believe Calvinism to be accurate, not the other way around.

J

jimmydiggs

The testimony of Jon Hus is also an amazing story about an amazing man. If my memory serves me correct, Hus was burned at the stake by the RCC.
Yes he was.

I found a movie of it on Youtube as well.
JOHN HUS MARTYR 1 - YouTube <--- click

Keep digging Jimmy.
Been digging for awhile. :)

There were more Reformers, some of which had nothing to do with Calvinism.
Certainly, and I'm glad they got the ball rolling. It is because of them that I believe Calvinism to be true.

J

jimmydiggs

i just finished watching it, it was a really interesting and touching movie :) thanks for sharing jimmy!
God bless.
Glad you liked it. :)

Oct 31, 2011
The Catholics were in heresy, then the Protestants added on top of Catholic heresy.

Last edited:
C

Crossfire

:)

Certainly, and I'm glad they got the ball rolling. It is because of them that I believe Calvinism to be true.

Neither Wycliffe, Hus or Luther were Calvinists. The ball had been rolling for roughly 100 - 150 years before Calvin came along but that's ok. What matters is that you're looking.

I would suggest that you allow history to speak for itself. Over the centuries there have been some who've attempted to distort history in order to cover up some pretty bad behavior, the excommunication, persecution, imprisonment (shackled in dungeons and tortured), as well as execution of fellow Christians who refused to have certain beliefs forced down their throats. Considering how poorly these people were treated, could you blame them for not accepting what the others were attempting to force on them?