Flag Disrespect by American Olympic Gold medalist

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah... especially in the Olympics people should use proper flag code this just looks unprofessional

Enoch987

Jul 13, 2017
He didn't mean to break the code. He probably didn't know the code. Another picture shows he draped the flag around himself. I think he loves the USA.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
He didn't mean to break the code. He probably didn't know the code. Another picture shows he draped the flag around himself. I think he loves the USA.
I believe he probably didn't intend any disrespect but I just think it looks unprofessional especially when you are competing in front of the entire world

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I watched it live and predicted the sanctimonious backlash.
He shouldn't have been handed a flag in the first place.
The moron that keeps handing these athletes a flag
at such an emotional moment needs to knock it off.
He apologized and said he meant no disrespect.
Move along!

M

Miri

Does it actually matter, it’s just a bit of material isn’t it? A copy?

It reminds me a bit of an incident I saw several years ago. A group of young kids were
running around the church hall. One of them accidentally bumped into a chair with a
bunch of bibles on it and they all fell off.

The mother was furious she told off the kid and made him sit still saying he was
disrespecting God’s word! The bibles were just copy books with billions more
copies across the world. It wasn’t like they were irreplaceable originals.
The value of the bible is whether understanding comes with reading it, under the
power of the Holy Spirit. Not the fact that it’s a book. Knocking a book on the
floor doesn’t matter, knocking the Bible itself and knocking God does.

It’s the same with the american flag of which there will be countless copies.
Dropping it in the floor, or walking on it doesn’t mean anything. Trashing the values
it stands for does.

Do you see the difference. Books arent sacred neither are flags.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
He was at an emotional high after winning his third model and performing the biggest and most clutch run of his life. He wasn't even aware what he was doing, he was crying and full of emotion and they shouldn't have handed them a flag right then. He apologized and we should all move on. He loves this country enough to represent us and win the gold medal. He is the greatest snowboarder of all time.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
btw it's not like he kneel or set it on fire. He loves this country, during the medal ceremony he placed his hand over his heart and looked proudly at his flag.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I can't even imagine what would be going through my mind if I had been in his place. I would hope that I wouldn't drag my country's flag across the snow. If did drag it across the snow, I do know that I would apologize to my country. This young man has apologized. I thank him for his honesty and I accept his apology. I wish him success in any future competition.

I saw the replay of his amazing run on the half tube. All I can say is WOW.

Feb 28, 2016
for a Christian, God's Flag is always un-furled inside of their hearts
first and for most - always Love God first, and then country...

we appreciate the discernment of his emotions that many have expressed...

HoneyDew

Apr 30, 2011
Give the young man a pass.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Where are all the threads about your neighbours or your bank or the used car lot downtown leaving their flags up in the rain?

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I'm patriotic and I love my country but I'm not going to worship a piece of cloth either.
That's basically idolatry

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I'm patriotic and I love my country but I'm not going to worship a piece of cloth either.
That's basically idolatry
I don't think it falls under the heading of "worship", it's more like "respect". There were rules set in place many years ago about proper, respectful treatment of the flag.

I think that the rules should perhaps be revisited, and possibly revised... the idea that if even a corner of the flag touches the ground, the flag must be burned... perhaps a bit extreme.

I am not upset by Shaun White's actions... he obviously loves his country, and was in the middle of a very emotional moment.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I don't think it falls under the heading of "worship", it's more like "respect". There were rules set in place many years ago about proper, respectful treatment of the flag.

I think that the rules should perhaps be revisited, and possibly revised... the idea that if even a corner of the flag touches the ground, the flag must be burned... perhaps a bit extreme.

I am not upset by Shaun White's actions... he obviously loves his country, and was in the middle of a very emotional moment.
Right...lets not go on a witch hunt here.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
do these rules apply to stickers, t-shirts, postcards, magnets, napkins, etc or only flags, or only well-manufactured, full-size flags? because around July every year, markets are flooded with ol' stars-and-bars printed on just about anything you can imagine.

i'm wondering if i should be righteously indignant about someone putting their american-flag paper plate in the trash after a picnic?

AdolfHipster

Jan 15, 2018
do these rules apply to stickers, t-shirts, postcards, magnets, napkins, etc or only flags, or only well-manufactured, full-size flags? because around July every year, markets are flooded with ol' stars-and-bars printed on just about anything you can imagine.

i'm wondering if i should be righteously indignant about someone putting their american-flag paper plate in the trash after a picnic?
That's a really good point. lol

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What exactly should be the procedure, perhaps a citizen's execution? Dunking? Burn at the stake?

In my day we were taught how to handle the flag. Today, I doubt most folks, especially young ones,
have any idea of flag protocol, and actually, it is an archaic protocol.......

Ask the person if he was aware it is considered by some old folks to be disrespect of country to allow
old glory to touch the ground. I doubt he was ever taught this.

Also, since this is a Christian site, may I point out that God is not wrapped in the flag of any nation,which to me makes the
old glory protocol akin to idolatry.......

Bottom line, I would forgive and pardon the lad, except I see no wrong, so it is not necessary. Oh, there may be another
competitor with a splinter in his eye.........try to see that one.

Billyd

May 8, 2014

The stars and bars is a name for the Confederate flag.