For Lordship Salvation... how do you make Jesus the Lord of your life?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

claysmithr

Is it as simple as loving God and your neighbor?

Aug 7, 2016
It really is, so simple. Talk to God and Jesus Christ giving thanks, Love others, and Love God.

FlSnookman7

Jun 27, 2015
A very simple yet difficult thing indeed to set aside our pride and ego and rely on what another did for our salvation. In fact, it is so difficult that the Word says few will accomplish it.

Oct 31, 2015
It really is, so simple. Talk to God and Jesus Christ giving thanks, Love others, and Love God.
I love what you guys are saying.

It all begins with this.

[FONT=&quot]8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”[e] (that is, the word of faith which we preach): [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10

[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Obeying the Gospel is confessing Jesus as Lord.

If He is our Lord, then we are to submit to His rule and authority, to obey Him.

He askes is to love God and love our neighbor.

JPT
[/FONT]

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Everybody seems to know that 'loving God and neighbour is one of the requirements of Jesus' teachings...but is this what makes Him 'Lord of your life ?
There is very little agreement among christians on HOW to love GOD - which is the FIRST Commandment ! should we perhaps focus on that as much as Jesus Himself does ? His role after all is to 're-unite man with God.

Oct 31, 2015
Everybody seems to know that 'loving God and neighbour is one of the requirements of Jesus' teachings...but is this what makes Him 'Lord of your life ?
There is very little agreement among christians on HOW to love GOD - which is the FIRST Commandment ! should we perhaps focus on that as much as Jesus Himself does ? His role after all is to 're-unite man with God.

The way we demonstrate and show our love for God is to obey Him command to love His Children.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can[ he love God whom he has not seen? 1 John 4:20

• for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

The context is clear and gives us the key:

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

Knowing God is actually the biblical definition of eternal life.

If we claim we “know God” (have eternal life) but we steal from our brother, or commit adultery against our brother, or covet our brothers belongings, or lie to our brother, then we are not walking in and practicing love.

We are not practicing love for God or our brother.

Jesus said it this way -

[FONT=&quot]And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did [/FONT][FONT=&quot]it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ Matthew 25:40

• inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

How do we love God?

By obeying His command to love His children.

4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. 1 John 2:4-11

• He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

JPT[/FONT]

D

Depleted

We don't make God Lord. He already is Lord.

And is loving God fully and loving your neighbors ever simple?
(I can't do it at all without his help.)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Lordship salvation is generally seen as a theological construct where making Christ Lord of your life is what leads you to salvation. It is generally a works based theology and not biblical.

We are saved by grace we are not saved by works. We receive Christ as our Lord because we are saved not to become saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

beta

Aug 8, 2016
The way we demonstrate and show our love for God is to obey Him command to love His Children.

If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can[ he love God whom he has not seen? 1 John 4:20

• for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

The context is clear and gives us the key:

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

Knowing God is actually the biblical definition of eternal life.

If we claim we “know God” (have eternal life) but we steal from our brother, or commit adultery against our brother, or covet our brothers belongings, or lie to our brother, then we are not walking in and practicing love.

We are not practicing love for God or our brother.

Jesus said it this way -

And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ Matthew 25:40

• inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

How do we love God?

By obeying His command to love His children.

4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.8 Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.
9 He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes. 1 John 2:4-11

• He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

JPT
You have certainly well-covered the 2nd of the 2 major Commandments...and I agree !
But what about the 1st Command to 'love God ? I think there are some instructions on how to do things that please GOD... apart from the one to love neighbour ? how is it we never hear them mentioned ? do you know them ?

C

claysmithr

Lordship salvation is generally seen as a theological construct where making Christ Lord of your life is what leads you to salvation. It is generally a works based theology and not biblical.

We are saved by grace we are not saved by works. We receive Christ as our Lord because we are saved not to become saved.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
If someone accepts Christ, but still continues to live in sin per usual, are they saved?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
If someone accepts Christ, but still continues to live in sin per usual, are they saved?
This is based on the fact they HAVE received Christ. From that point then..any sin will be rebuked by Christ.

So the person could..because they have free will.. go back to old ways... but they have been renewed in Christ.

It would be unlikely for a saved person to continue in old ways because they have the Holy Spirit indweelling them.

There will be fruit from having the Holy Spirit inside their soul.

Oct 31, 2015
This is based on the fact they HAVE received Christ. From that point then..any sin will be rebuked by Christ.

So the person could..because they have free will.. go back to old ways... but they have been renewed in Christ.

It would be unlikely for a saved person to continue in old ways because they have the Holy Spirit indweelling them.

There will be fruit from having the Holy Spirit inside their soul.

unlikely or not, the truth that the scriptures teach us is, Christians who practice the works of the flesh will not inherit the kingdom of God.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[c] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[d] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-31

• just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JPT

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Obeying the Gospel is confessing Jesus as Lord. If He is our Lord, then we are to submit to His rule and authority, to obey Him.
This is biblically correct, and is frequently omitted from Gospel preaching. God has made this same Jesus BOTH Lord and Christ (Acts 2:36). Lordship means rule and authority, while Christ (Messiah) means Savior and King. Too often the Lord Jesus Christ is presented simply as "Jesus", and sinners fail to understand that He is both Lord and Christ. The minute a sinner receives Him as Savior, he also comes under His total authority. As Scripture says, "Ye are bought with a price" (1 Cor 6:20).

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
I think that a major issue that is not adequately taught is that Lord means owner. Jesus owns a true believer both by right of creation, and by right of redemption; when we were purchased by His blood. Too many think they can have Jesus as Savior without having Jesus as Lord; but that is NOT true.

Oct 31, 2015
You have certainly well-covered the 2nd of the 2 major Commandments...and I agree !
But what about the 1st Command to 'love God ? I think there are some instructions on how to do things that please GOD... apart from the one to love neighbour ? how is it we never hear them mentioned ? do you know them ?
Obedience is how we please God.

Obedience is is the foundation of faith, righteousness, love and justification.

All all these work by obedience.

Faith without the corresponding work of obedience is dead.

Obedience is what activates faith, making it come alive and active able to produce the intended divine result.

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
James 2:21

Abraham obeyed God when commanded to offer Issac on the altar, which was how he was justified, or declared to be righteous in the eyes of God.

Works in verse 21 is the corresponding act of obedience that faith requires, in order to become activated, or alive.

Works here in this verse is the effort obedience requires.

Faith without this obedience is dead, and can not save, like a body without a spirit is dead and can not save.

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[g] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead. James 2:21-26

That’s why it’s called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

• according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith.

Without faith, it’s impossible to please God.

Concerning salvation, the act of obedience required is confessing Jesus as Lord.

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”[e] (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10

• with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

JPT

Oct 31, 2015

By “accepting” Christ if you mean obeying the Gospel, then no.

• [FONT=&quot]those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.[/FONT]

The good news is God loves us dearly and desires all to be saved.

He is patient and merciful, and forgives our sins, when we come to Him and confess our sins.

[FONT=&quot]If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [/FONT][FONT=&quot]our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
[/FONT]
1 John 1:9

He wants us and desires for us to be close to Him, regardless of our condition, He will clean us up and restore us, because God loves us, and wants us as sons and daughters.

However there does come a time when we are to grow up and mature and obey as a child obeys their Father who loves them.

He does does not expect much from us at first, like a Father doesn’t expect much from a baby or young child.

But the time will come when we grow and mature, that we must learn of Him and walk in obedience, rather than rebellion.

Those who do not obey the Gospel will be destroyed by Him.

in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Thessalonians 1:8

on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand.

This is the Gospel that was preached by Jesus Christ.

Repent is the command of the Gospel.

Repent means to turn to God.

If you are called to turn to God, then by default you are called to turn from Satan as your lord.

The way that your express this obedience of faith, concerning the Gospel is to confess Jesus as Lord.

This is what grants the believer/obeyer of the Gospel, the forgiveness of sins.

This is plainly what the Lord Jesus Christ taught to and commissioned Paul to do.

15 So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you. 17 I will deliver you from the Jewish people, as well as from the Gentiles, to whom I now send you, 18 to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.’ Acts 26:15-18

Repent is about being transferred from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of God.

It's about changing who you serve, as your Lord.

The Gospel of the kingdom is about changing the kingdom your are in, by changing the lord you serve.

[FONT=&quot]13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]14 in whom we have redemption through His blood,[c] the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:13
[/FONT]

Paul warned us in Galatians about living and practicing sin, which are the works of the flesh.

[FONT=&quot]19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]21 envy, murders,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.[/FONT]

JPT

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
Yes it is, if you think that is simple. We need to submit to all He has written for us to know Himand our fellow man better. There are things in His Word that I do not understand, but I must submit to them if indeed He is my Lord and Savior. I love the Savior part it's the Lord part that gives me problems, there are things I just do not understand so I just submit to them as much as I understand what it is I need to submit too.

D

Depleted

For the cause of Christ
Roger
I made this mistake once of believing this just because someone said it. A friend of mine said she was someone who was into Lordship. She's the least legalistic Christian I know. So just putting it out there -- this simply isn't true.

Feb 28, 2016
My Precious Lord Jesus became my Lord and Saviour, when He called me out of this
fallen-world and gave me the strength through giving me the knowledge of His Holy Love, Sacrifice,
to 'give-up-my-carnal-self-will, and only have the desire and Faith to attach myself to Him
and His Will for the rest of my life...