Galatians 5:22-23 fruits of spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jrnichols89

2 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Feel like these fruits of spirit aren't used enough.

F

FreeNChrist

2 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
You can't use what God isn't producing. And He produces His fruit in us only to the degree to which we are abiding in Christ.

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
Faith makes the entire Christian walk a reality. There is no law against doing good, against the love of your fellow man, and to live in peace with your neighbor.

Sep 3, 2016
The Holy Spirit produces fruit in us. This is all done in "The Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2)." In other words, only Faith exclusively in Christ and His Finished Work will allow the Holy Spirit to produce much fruit.

John 15 New King James Version (NKJV)[h=3]The True Vine[/h]15 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. [SUP]2 [/SUP]Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;[SUP][a][/SUP] and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. [SUP]3 [/SUP]You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
[SUP]
[/SUP]“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. [SUP]6 [/SUP]If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. [SUP]7 [/SUP]If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[SUP][b][/SUP] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. [SUP]8 [/SUP]By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

[SUP]6 [/SUP]If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. = Warning!

The reader must understand that this Statement by Christ of the Believer abiding in Him is strong indeed! This can proclaim only one thing: that person is eternally lost despite having once been saved.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

The reader must understand that this Statement by Christ of the Believer abiding in Him is strong indeed! This can proclaim only one thing: that person is eternally lost despite having once been saved.

Not quite.

The Lord is telling us how to be saved and stay saved.

To have faith in, trust and abide in Christ and His Work for Salvation and not their own.

The only way a person could once be saved and then become eternally lost is if they gained their salvation by their own merit. Then if they didn't keep up those works they would lose the salvation they worked for.

But salvation is the work of God and not our own.

1 Peter 1:5 [FONT=&quot]Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.[/FONT]

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I know a lot of lost people that exhibit more of these qualities than saved believers. Just saying...

F

FreeNChrist

I know a lot of lost people that exhibit more of these qualities than saved believers. Just saying...
Anybody can fake good fruit, but there will always be a selfish aspect to the fruit exhibited by the lost.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Anybody can fake good fruit, but there will always be a selfish aspect to the fruit exhibited by the lost.
Amen! No unsaved person can produce any of the fruit of the Spirit (because they don't have the Spirit)!

Of course, some unsaved moral people can and do produce fruit that looks very good - but as you say it will have a selfish core.

We may not be able to tell the difference by physical observation, but God is never fooled!

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Are you saying that all good acts by lost people are selfish? I don't buy that. Some people feed the poor because they care about the poor and want to see them feed.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
it is NOT "fruits" of the Spirit, BUT "fruit" of the Spirit.

You can find a bit of a study Here on the fruit of the Spirit and the works of the flesh...

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Are you saying that all good acts by lost people are selfish? I don't buy that. Some people feed the poor because they care about the poor and want to see them feed.
I think so, too.

God created the world with absolute precision so good actions produce precise results, no matter who does them. However, Paul was pointing out that there is still a difference between good actions as a result of the spirit of God and good actions for other reasons.

Until this fifth chapter of Galatians Paul is telling of the work of Christ in their life, how His blood and God's grace means salvation, not works. Then he explains how the saved person is to walk in the spirit of God, not of the flesh. Paul is pointing out the difference between these works and how the Judaizers say to work. Judaizers told them to follow traditions that were based on interpretations of scripture rather than God's pure word.

The fruits of the spirit are what happens after salvation when we die to self and accept God's ways. You can almost see the salvation in those people as they express love and joy.

A

Ariel82

They do need to be talked about and displayed more in believers lives. Would you like to start the discussion?

How have they magnified in your life?

Personally I feel that God has taught me to be more loving of others and myself, gives me joy and peace I can't put to words, surrounded me with people who are patient, gentle and kind. Through their example, I hope to learn self control and display the same to others.

F

FreeNChrist

I'm saying lost people can't do "good works" at all. Any "good" that it appears they do is tainted by something they get out of it for themselves.

A

Ariel82

Romans 2:14 ►
English Standard Version
For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law

A

Ariel82

Romans 2 in full if folks don't have access to a bible

Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:

eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honor,

and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For there is no partiality with God.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I'm saying lost people can't do "good works" at all. Any "good" that it appears they do is tainted by something they get out of it for themselves.
If someone does a good work it is not a bad work but a good one. God uses these good works for good. They are not saved by their works, but neither are those who accept salvation through Christ.

As Christians, we can judge works by if they are sinful or not, but we are to not judge the people. We are to let them be free to choose their own way without our judging them. Even as we separate ourselves from those who choose sin as a way of life, we are to be ready to accept them if they choose God.

It is not the works of even those who give their all to the Lord that is their salvation. That part of their lives is only from the grace of God, not their works.

F

FreeNChrist

If someone does a good work it is not a bad work but a good one. God uses these good works for good. They are not saved by their works, but neither are those who accept salvation through Christ.

As Christians, we can judge works by if they are sinful or not, but we are to not judge the people. We are to let them be free to choose their own way without our judging them. Even as we separate ourselves from those who choose sin as a way of life, we are to be ready to accept them if they choose God.

It is not the works of even those who give their all to the Lord that is their salvation. That part of their lives is only from the grace of God, not their works.
Right. Good works are good works. Can't argue with that. :)

J

jrnichols89

For me self control and not being obessive is the hardest one. Faithfulness especially earlier in life also was hard.
Agree that verse needs to be talked about more and displayed more by believers. Very u derrated verse.

Aug 15, 2009
When you repented of your sins & accepted Christ, did you do a "good work"?

F

FreeNChrist

When you repented of your sins & accepted Christ, did you do a "good work"?
We are saved by grace through faith and not of works. Faith is not a work.