Gardening Tips, Tricks & Hacks

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
I have succesfully grown several avocado seeds via placing them in bottles with water using toothpicks to hold them in place. But I decided to try something different and maybe some have tried this before but I thought it was cool because I really didn't think it would work.

I remember when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, we placed a single bean wrapped in a brown paper towel in a plastic bag with water and waited for the bean to sprout and it did. Well I had like 10 or 11 avocado seeds and of course I knew some wouldn't work since they looked dead already, but I thought I would still try and happy to say that six avocado seeds have sprouted :D. This method happened to be much faster than when I did it in bottles, not sure why?:unsure:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
why wouldnt it work you had water...thats all it needed to promote germination.
the toothpicks were just to hold the seed in place over the bottle, maybe the bag just had better contact with moisture for the seed to grow.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I used drinking glasses to start an avocado seed, using toothpicks to support them. I use plural because I grew many over the years. I started doing this many decades ago. It wa s easy. Once sprouted dand growing a abit, I put them in a pot and kept them inside for a very long time, trimming or pruning them as they grew so they would not overshoot and bet stem rot, or in this case, trunk rot.

I always kept them in a window. The light from outside made it easier to see the progress of the roots and sprout.

Do not plant them in the ground unless you are going to water them well,. They do like water.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Gardening Tips, Tricks & Hacks
As I hate gardening, my best tip/tricks/hacks is...

Pay someone to do it! :p

And then just sit back and enjoy it!

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
I used drinking glasses to start an avocado seed, using toothpicks to support them. I use plural because I grew many over the years. I started doing this many decades ago. It wa s easy. Once sprouted dand growing a abit, I put them in a pot and kept them inside for a very long time, trimming or pruning them as they grew so they would not overshoot and bet stem rot, or in this case, trunk rot.

I always kept them in a window. The light from outside made it easier to see the progress of the roots and sprout.

Do not plant them in the ground unless you are going to water them well,. They do like water.
Right now I have three growing in planters and now the six 😄 so exciting. And I was going to transplant one In the ground but I think I will wait. Thanks for the tip 😆.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
make sure you pay us well
cos most gardeners actually want to do their own garden rather than yours...once you let someone else garden it...its not really yours anymore. haha

What do you mean you dont want a fir tree in your front yard? I think it looks ahmazing. It will outlive your house.

C

ChristianTonyB

Does anyone have any advice on what might be attacking the leaves, causing brown/dead blotches on my potted Meyer Lemon Tree, please.
I did a search on google for a similar image, and its caption inferred it is damage caused by aphids. I can’t see any sign of those, and I regularly spray the foliage with a bio oil anyway to keep the leaf miner moth at bay, and that should arrest any aphids as well.
I saw other google images that show similar markings, but not identical in colour or outer shape, that suggest Citrus Canker is the cause.
I’ve fed the tree with citrus specific pelleted food, and am giving the leaves a spray about every five days with a kelp based fertiliser to help boost its health.
None of these treatments seem to be working,
I nearly lost the tree about a year and a half ago to I don’t know what, but I suspect it was some soil dwelling bacterium. It was bare of foliage for about 12 months, but then kicked back to life as it were.
I’ll repot the tree over the next couple of days to see if that will help.

Any suggestions for what might be causing the leaf damage, and an ideal potting mix that is particularly amenable to Citrus trees, would be very much appreciated, please. Damage.jpg Lemon Tree.jpg

Many thanks in advance 😊