Gift of Helps - not the glittery, showy gift, but probably the most useful

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 30, 2011
The gift of helps/service is the ability to joyfully work alongside another and help that person complete the task God has given them. People with this gift generally prefer to work behind the scenes. They also tend to find joy in helping alleviate the burdens and responsibilities of others. This gift is usually accompanied with an attitude of humility and sacrifice, as well as an ability to perceive the needs of others.

How come we don't see anyone come on here and boast about the Gift of Helps/Service? Isn't the goal to be like Christ? To help/edify the body of Christ? Didn't Jesus come to serve, and not be served?

James says "boast then in your lowliness". Therefore let me boast all the more, for the lowly things on this Earth, to the Exultation in Glory!

I am perfectly happy with my gifting, that I can help just about anyone, and work alongside anyone. I am a jack of all trades - I can do pretty much most things decently. When you look at the world, which gift seems more needed? While I am talented at teaching, it's not my Spiritual gift.

Jesus was a servant - I am to be His servant to His body

john832

May 31, 2013
Not meant as correction, rather as support to your post...

1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

What is that more excellent way?

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Jun 30, 2011
Ok - we all know this, that the basis of gifting should be love

Jun 30, 2011
Not meant as correction, rather as support to your post...

1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Serving from a pure heart is loving, it's helpful, and it's needed. I don't know what the point of posting this was. There is no complete chapter in the Bible on a rebuke on the abuse of the gift of Helps

john832

May 31, 2013
Ok - we all know this, that the basis of gifting should be love
Serving from a pure heart is loving, it's helpful, and it's needed. I don't know what the point of posting this was. There is no complete chapter in the Bible on a rebuke on the abuse of the gift of Helps
When we read I Cor 12 and 13, we find that gifts are good but all do not have those gifts...

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Do all have these gifts? No, if they did, Paul would not have asked the rhetorical question.

So, if God has not endowed a person with one or more of these particular gifts, which is commonly the case, what is one to do?

1) Suffering long is more than just patience, it means sometimes we actually suffer a long time in a particular circumstance.
2) Being kind is a Godly trait and not common.
3) Anbody you know envious of one with a gift? Envious of one who has a position? Envious of one who has been blessed, spiritually or physically?
4) The NKJV says here that love does not parade itself. Anbody work with one of these guys?

Eph 6:6 not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart,
Col 3:22 Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God.

In or outside of the church.

5) Know anyone who is full of themselves?

G5448
φυσιόω
phusioō
foo-see-o'-o
From G5449 in the primary sense of blowing; to inflate, that is, (figuratively) make proud (haughty): - puff up.

6) Never rude or obnoxious?
7) Seeks others good fortune ahead of themselves...

1Co 10:24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other's well-being.

8) Ever meet someone who has a chip on their shoulder?
9) We should never think evil, rather this...

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

10) We should never be happy to see someone else's calamity, Albert Barnes is good here...

"Rejoiceth not in iniquity - Does not rejoice over the “vices” of other people; does not take delight when they are guilty of crime, or when, in any manner, they fall into sin. It does not find pleasure in hearing others accused of sin, and in having it proved that they committed it. It does not find a malicious pleasure in the “report” that they have done wrong; or in following up that report, and finding it established. Wicked people often find pleasure in this Rom_1:32, and rejoice when others have fallen into sin, and have disgraced and ruined themselves. People of the world often find a malignant pleasure in the report, and in the evidence that a member of the Church has brought dishonor on his profession. A man often rejoices when an enemy, a persecutor, or a slanderer has committed some crime, and when he has shown an improper spirit, uttered a rash expression, or taken some step which shall involve him in ignominy. But love does none of these things. It does not desire that an enemy, a persecutor, or a slanderer should do evil, or should disgrace and ruin himself. It does not rejoice, but grieves, when a professor of religion, or an enemy of religion - when a personal friend or foe has done anything wrong.

Eze 9:4 And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.

11) Rejoicing in truth is not all that common these days. Whether it be the truth of God or just an honest report. Remember the spies into the promised land and there false report?

12) Bearing all things. Barnes is particularly good here...

Beareth all things - Compare the note at 1Co_9:12. Doddridge renders this, “covers all things.” The word used here (στέγει stegei) properly means to “cover” (from στέγη stegē, a covering, roof; Mat_8:8; Luk_7:6); and then to “hide,” “conceal,” not to make known. If this be the sense here, then it means that love is disposed to hide or conceal the faults and imperfections of others; not to promulgate or blazon them abroad, or to give any undue publicity to them. Benevolence to the individual or to the public would require that these faults and errors should be concealed.

This verse can be read two ways...

1Pe 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

Loving others can cover a multitude of our own sins and loving others is the act of covering their sins.

13) Believing all things is not gullibility, rather Adam Clarke does an excellent job here...

Believeth all things - Παντα πιστευει· Is ever ready to believe the best of every person, and will credit no evil of any but on the most positive evidence; gladly receives whatever may tend to the advantage of any person whose character may have suffered from obloquy and detraction; or even justly, because of his misconduct.

14) To hope all things, Clarke once again...

Hopeth all things - Παντα ελπιζει· When there is no place left for believing good of a person, then love comes in with its hope, where it could not work by its faith; and begins immediately to make allowances and excuses, as far as a good conscience can permit; and farther, anticipates the repentance of the transgressor, and his restoration to the good opinion of society and his place in the Church of God, from which he had fallen.

15) Endures all things...

Endureth all things - Παντα ὑπομενει· Bears up under all persecutions and mal-treatment from open enemies and professed friends; bears adversities with an even mind, as it submits with perfect resignation to every dispensation of the providence of God; and never says of any trial, affliction, or insult, this cannot be endured.

Mat 24:12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.
Mat 24:13 But he who endures to the end shall be saved.

The sense here is that their love of the truth and of the brethren will not grow cold.

With Passover coming, it is time to examine ourselves...

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
1Co 11:29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
1Co 11:30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.

If one can exhibit the positives of love as outlined in I Cor 13, then they are producing more excellent fruit than the spiritual gifts mentioned in chapter 12. Of which of the fruits of the spirit is speaking in tongues or the gift of healing?

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

May 15, 2013
The gift of helps/service is the ability to joyfully work alongside another and help that person complete the task God has given them. People with this gift generally prefer to work behind the scenes. They also tend to find joy in helping alleviate the burdens and responsibilities of others. This gift is usually accompanied with an attitude of humility and sacrifice, as well as an ability to perceive the needs of others.

How come we don't see anyone come on here and boast about the Gift of Helps/Service? Isn't the goal to be like Christ? To help/edify the body of Christ? Didn't Jesus come to serve, and not be served?

James says "boast then in your lowliness". Therefore let me boast all the more, for the lowly things on this Earth, to the Exultation in Glory!

I am perfectly happy with my gifting, that I can help just about anyone, and work alongside anyone. I am a jack of all trades - I can do pretty much most things decently. When you look at the world, which gift seems more needed? While I am talented at teaching, it's not my Spiritual gift.

It says not to boast about what you did for the needy, but we should encourage others to help.

Matthew 6:2
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Matthew 6:3
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Jun 30, 2011
It says not to boast about what you did for the needy, but we should encourage others to help.

Matthew 6:2
“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Matthew 6:3
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

Then why do people seem to boast about other gifts and this become a everlasting debated gift?

Jun 30, 2011
I was hoping for a big debate for this gifting, like we do with some - I stand defeated lol :cool:

Feb 23, 2013

i have this gift it has always been who i am but i will not boast of it. i seek humility and the willingness to give up everything for the sake of others but i will find neither of those going on a forum and saying how proud i am of having this gift. i prefere to remain in the shadows where only god sees me working

jb

Feb 27, 2010

Paul tells us in 1Cor 14v1

"Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy."

The Church needs to manifest BOTH the fruit of the Spirit AND the gifts of the Spirit! 1Cor 12v7-11, Gal 5v22,23

Love without God's power (ie the gifts of the Spirit) is helpless, for it cannot meet the needs of a needy world and Church, and the person who manifests God's power without love will be hard and a nuisance!

Yahweh Shalom...

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
We glory in washing brains not feet...tis a good point.

Jun 30, 2011
the point is people do come on here and boast in gifting - but the gifting they only boast in is the gifts that are more "power appearing"

Feb 23, 2013
the point is people do come on here and boast in gifting - but the gifting they only boast in is the gifts that are more "power appearing"
i havent seen this, where have people been boasting about their gifts? so far you are the only one i have seen doing that

Feb 23, 2013
and if it is boasting - it is right boasting in the lowly estate
i dont believve in boasting i will just be in a lowly state and serve others behind the scenes. i find a humble servant a great state of being a servant knows they have no right to boast and cant even look to the sky when praying but serves others not expectin anything in return

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
so thankful to have nothing to boast about, me!!

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
(James 1:17)

Jun 30, 2011
i dont believve in boasting i will just be in a lowly state and serve others behind the scenes. i find a humble servant a great state of being a servant knows they have no right to boast and cant even look to the sky when praying but serves others not expectin anything in return
james 1:9 Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation,
Paul said - therefore I will boast all the more in my weakness, for when I am weak, then I am strong

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
My husband has this gift. He is totally humble, but places himself in any situation where any kind of helping is required. Then he does it and goes away, most of the time, people not realizing what he had done.

A great example for me!