Global Warming

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2009
if the north pole were all too melt, it would not affect us that much. i was learning this the other day. if an iceberg gets into the sea, it will not affect us. ice, like ina glass of coke, it does not make the amount of sea level rise, it distrabutes its weight around thus not making anything in mass rise.

when the ice melts, it also wont make the sea levels rise.
Yes that's right because of Archimedes principle but glaciers are not ice sheets and they are what cause the seas to rise. Glacial ice is water that is on the land and when that melts and runs into the sea the sea will rise because it is extra water, plus there are a few other problems such as making the ocean less saline.

The melting of the ice at the poles will also lead to the extinction of certain species of animals like polar bears and result in changes in weather/climate around the world so I think your statement that it would "not affect us too much" is not quite true.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2009
While most of the ice at the north is floating ice and won't cause much sea level rise, at the other pole a main problem is antarctica losing land ice which does contribute to sea level rising.

G

Graybeard

another theory is that when glaciers melt the land that they where on rises due to the absence of the glaciers massive weight thus a rise in sea level is reduced.

W

wwjd_kilden

the global warming is less warm now than it used to be.... but we don't hear that in the news

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
i know what u mean less warm - it 0 degrees over here - cold or what

j.k j.k
lol
:D

W

wwjd_kilden

:p yup, must be the ice age comming :p

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
i know - there was frost on the cars this morining :)

we should be prepare for it - by like....i dunno :(:s

W

wwjd_kilden

buying lots of cocoa

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
YEAH!

and hot water bottles
and ice picks
and hats
and gloves!

W

wwjd_kilden

yupyup

eh, I just realized what forum we're in :p meybe we should prepare for "the great chill" in another thread

sorry guys, we got carried away

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
yeah - maybe ur right

Jan 8, 2009
Another factor is that water expands as it is heated so a warmer ocean will mean even greater volume of water.

Oct 8, 2009
Ya I believe in global warming in a sense. The Bible says that God is going to destroy the earth with fire.

W

worldlover

you know guys some of you have a point that we'd been through a lot of calamities and phenomenas which could explain that it's just a part of the cycle and shedding of our planet so there's no reason to be panic i guess, we just have to live the right way and avoid abusing our environment that could be the simplest yet effective way to maintain our planet but i think this is not our priority what should be in the top list is to spread the word of God and enlighten as many people as we can and start doing our purpose so that we will be prepared before God arrives.

J

jcspartan

Being new to the site I am impressed by the general politeness of most of the members evenwhen there is disagreement. Very interesting thread. When I was a kid, I was told by a scientist that came to my classroom that the Earth was going to go through another ice age.

My concern is what will be done with the belief in "Global Warming". Governments make policy decisions that impact their citizens. At the begining of the 20th Century most scientist believed and supported the idea of eugenics. Governments gave grants to study it, research institutes provided "proof" supporting it. Dissenting scientists were cast out by their peers. Great thinkers around the globe declared it as fact. Leaders of industry and society spoke as if the debate was settled. Populations were screened and people sterilized against their wills and sometimes without being informed in hospitals and public institutions in most Western countries. When the concept of eugenics was adopted by the Nazis the reality of the belief had to be confronted and it has since fallen out of favor. But for over 60 years it was accepted as fact with no room for debate at all levels of society.

The study of global climates is still new. The system God created very complicated. We should be good stewards of what wehave been given on this Earth. At the same time, we need to be a bit humble in the face of something we otherwise admit we have not fully explored and in the grand scheme of things not really studied systematically for more than a few decades. The interplay of the sun, man-made gases, naturally released gases, ocean currents, melting ice, magnetic fields has not been comprehensively looked at. We know the climate has changed both warmer and colder than it is now. What is normal? What is best? No matter what that answer is it will mean change from the current status.

Status
Not open for further replies.