Greetings! I would love you gain some advice from you!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
You have identified the problem.

This whole forum has a general misunderstanding of cinnamon.

If there were better cooks on the forum, we'd all be busy eating, and nobody would have time to come here and argue.
It's the spice of life:)

Feb 7, 2015
I was being harsh on purpose.

I was giving serious business advice to someone pursuing a business major in a cold, hard world that is already full of business majors that can't find jobs.

renewed_hope,
you're an accountant. Nobody cares if you begin a conditional sentence and omit the consequent.
Is a consequent like a consonant?
He meant "consequence", which is the "if-clause" of a conditional sentence..... and if a comma had been used as I mentioned, it would not have appeared to be an attempt at producing a Conditional Sentence.

Feb 7, 2015
Let's put this whole thing in order.

1. She didn't come here for fellowship, or to be part of the community, or to join in our discussions, or to learn about the Bible.

2. She came here for a very specific reason, which is quite outside of the purpose of this forum.

3. She came here, as a business major, to do research for a college paper.

4. Since she came here only to do college work on her major, so I gave her advice on her major... advice which I thought was entirely appropriate.

5. If you can't find the problems in her post, you need to look closer. It's an absolute horror. I can pick it apart later; but surely you could sort it out yourself.

6. If we're all chatting and socializing, I NEVER say a word about anyone's spelling or grammar. It's rude and inappropriate.

But that isn't the context here.
She didn't come here to chat, socialize, fellowship, discuss spiritual things, or be part of the community...
she came here to work on her business major.

So I talked to her about that.
She came here to work on her business major, so I talked to her about her business major.
I think it's appropriate to tell someone the business world is going to kick you in the face if you can't even compose a decent sentence.

I think explaining that to someone, directly, is a kindness.
Hopefully, if someone will talk straight to her, she can take steps to correct the problems
In case anyone is still wondering, the sentence highlighted above is an example of a "Conditional Sentence" that was improperly constructed. (Throwing the, "so", in there blew it all to pieces.) I think there is something of a lesson about "glass houses" that is to be learned here.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
He meant "consequence", which is the "if-clause" of a conditional sentence..... and if a comma had been used as I mentioned, it would not have appeared to be an attempt at producing a Conditional Sentence.
In a causal chain an antecedent effect is referred to as a consequent.

And as soon as the OP started the sentence with "if", it was wholly determined, by her own hand, to be a conditional sentence, and a comma would have no power to resolve the missing half of the sentence.

As I said before, I'm no grammar nazi; I never fuss about anyone's grammar around here.
But in this context, the OP did not come here to socialize or be part of the forum, the OP only came here to do research for her business major.
So I talked about her about a serious business issue: bad, messy, illogical writing.
That's a serious business issue.

That's all.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
In case anyone is still wondering, the sentence highlighted above is an example of a "Conditional Sentence" that was improperly constructed. (Throwing the, "so", in there blew it all to pieces.) I think there is something of a lesson about "glass houses" that is to be learned here.

Willie,

Get real please.
That was a normal typo.

The problem with the OP is an overall preponderance of illogical messy nonsense that shows a complete lack of conscientiousness... and THAT is a business problem, and that is why I wrote my original post.

By all means, feel free to point out my typos.

You'll find another typo in post 24 which I was also unable to correct.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Seriously guys, I don't know why we're having this conversation.

The OP said she's working on a business major, and it just so happens she writes like a 10-year-old.
So I said her writing was bad, and that she needs to work on her writing and grammar...
which she does.

If she does NOT improve her writing and grammar, she's never going to do anything with a business degree.
Why?
The reason is that people will judge you by how you write and speak.

If any of you people actually care about the OP AT ALL, you would be in agreement with me.

If you care about the OP at all, and want to help her, you might say something like;
"Max is obnoxious but yeah, you really do need to improve your writing and grammar for business. It's a really serious part of your career."

But if all you want to do is argue with me...
that isn't helping the OP.

ODD

I heard everyone, last year during the elections, make so much fun of the little "snow flake" college kids that get coddled and treated like babies.
Everyone said, over and over, that when you coddle the college kids, and treat them like babies, they're never going to be able to function in the real world, and they'll never be able to face the COLD HARD REALITIES OF THE WORKFORCE.

Well, here I am treating them like adults, and dealing with the "cold hard realities"... and everyone wants to be angry with me.

Golly.

Blink Blink Blink.

Go ahead and coddle a college kid, and treat her like a baby, and do the opposite of whatever you all said a few months back.

Go ahead.

Do the exact opposite of what you all talked about last year.

Ignoring reality is going to help her a lot.

Go with that.

Talk about how woeful it is to coddle them, and then... coddle them.

Excellent, lol.

That's why they're all messed up.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Seriously guys, I don't know why we're having this conversation.
You guys are giving good examples of what happens during online conversations :)

S

Susanna

People are so obsessed with pointing out other people's errors...when will they learn that the only person that is always right...is...drumroll...me...LOL

S

Susanna

Hey everyone! I'm a business student pursuing my bachelor's degree. For my Communication, Technology, and Society class, I need to gain some insight on online chatting. If you could help me out and let me know what you like best about online chatting, as well as some downfalls of virtual communication! Thanks so much!
I'm still scratching my head on what's so wrong with the language here. Probably that fact alone reveals more about me than about the people pointing out the errors.

Yet, it may be a valid point, or a moot point (what do I know) pointing (sic) out that this is an online forum, which inevitably has some sort of influence on the written language. Maybe that is one of the downfalls of virtual communication?

J

joefizz

You guys are giving good examples of what happens during online conversations :)
Precisely the Op is getting a first hand view of what "real conversations and arguments" are(here's my view I don't care how bad my grammar is so maxwel and willie can go munch on cinnamon and leave me be lol) I imagine the Op will definitely learn "social skills" here whether good or bad lol!

J

joefizz

Welcome here you can discuss with bible smart people and possibly make new friends,hope you like it here!

Jan 9, 2018
Thank you for the suggestion. We all have things to work on! None of us are perfect, and we never will be. I believe you could work on your deliverance and communication. There are respectful ways to offer constructive criticism, and I found your deliverance rather disrespectful. I would definitely not want to work for you. You might have "ideal" grammar, but I value character, integrity, and compassion more than perfection, and I see none of those characteristics in you. I value a leader that encourages me along through my learning process, rather than tearing me apart by revealing my weaknesses. I hope this conversation benefits you by changing your heart and deliverance, and makes you a better leader, co-worker, and Christ follower.
Blessings,
Micaela

R

renewed_hope

Thank you for the suggestion. We all have things to work on! None of us are perfect, and we never will be. I believe you could work on your deliverance and communication. There are respectful ways to offer constructive criticism, and I found your deliverance rather disrespectful. I would definitely not want to work for you. You might have "ideal" grammar, but I value character, integrity, and compassion more than perfection, and I see none of those characteristics in you. I value a leader that encourages me along through my learning process, rather than tearing me apart by revealing my weaknesses. I hope this conversation benefits you by changing your heart and deliverance, and makes you a better leader, co-worker, and Christ follower.
Blessings,
Micaela
I'm not sure if you fully understood what he was saying, if anything he was being encouraging and respectful. From what he said, he wants you to be successful and by showing you what it's like in this world. You are 21, he is twice your age and with that comes wisdom and understanding. Life and business is not all rainbows and sunshine, it's rough and full of challenges and criticism. Sweetheart, if you can't take someone giving you sound advice on how business works you may be in the wrong field of study. Trust me, I've been on cc for a long time and know him to be ornery and very insightful....just take things and what people say with a grain of salt on here and in life and you will go far :)

Saturn

Apr 30, 2014
Well this thread has really escalated.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Go munch on cinnamon..lol.. I should use that as one of my signature quotes.. :eek:

Precisely the Op is getting a first hand view of what "real conversations and arguments" are(here's my view I don't care how bad my grammar is so maxwel and willie can go munch on cinnamon and leave me be lol) I imagine the Op will definitely learn "social skills" here whether good or bad lol!

Selesmonica

Feb 4, 2017
India
Hey everyone! I'm a business student pursuing my bachelor's degree. For my Communication, Technology, and Society class, I need to gain some insight on online chatting. If you could help me out and let me know what you like best about online chatting, as well as some downfalls of virtual communication! Thanks so much!