Having Faith When It Really Hurts...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lighthousejohn

The posts that I have been sharing over the past several days come from a heart that is in great pain. As I study God's word and go through my daily devotions, God has been speaking to me and is in the process of healing my heart which has been gravely wounded. I ask that you accept these offerings in the spirit of grace that God shared with me.

This by John Piper...

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” – Hebrews 11:1

The great chapter on faith in the Bible is Hebrews, chapter 11. It begins, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

What is often overlooked in this chapter, though, is the final eight verses where we get the balanced picture of faith as that which lays hold on God for rescue from suffering and as that which lays hold on God for peace and hope in suffering.

Verse 33 says “By faith they conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection…”

Now if we stopped reading here our conception of how the quality of faith manifests itself would be very distorted, because here it sounds as if faith always wins in this life.

But here a shift occurs and we find that faith is also the power to lose our life: “By faith … others were tortured, not accepting release, in order that they might obtain a better resurrection; others experienced mocking and scourging, yes, also chains and imprisonment.

They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheep skins, in goat skins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy) wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground . . . And all these gained approval through their faith. . . ”

The glory of God is manifested when He heals, and when he gives a sweet spirit of hope and peace to the person that He does not heal, for that, too, is a miracle of grace! O, that we might be a people among whom God is often healing our sicknesses, but is always causing us to be full of joy and peace while our sickness remains.

If we are a humble and childlike people who cry out to God in our need and trust in His promises, the Holy Spirit will help us and God will bless us with every possible blessing. He will, as the text says, work everything together for our good.
- John Piper

What pain can we suffer that has not been suffered before. Jesus said; " 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." I too will rejoice in my weakness' and my suffering as God works in me.

Feb 27, 2007
Bless your heart. I think it is difficult to reconcile why God who loves us would seemingly turn his back on us in times of great trial. I know my cousin who's faith is as great as her infirmity is such a testimony to the goodness of the Lord in her very illness. For she is the example of Godly love and none have faith greater (in my opinion). With that being said I'm certain she has innermost times where she cry's out why me lord??? why me. I know that in your trials John you are showing yourself a man of great faith to those around you and you are ministering to those who are also dealing with pain, either physical or emotional. I do believe there is a reason a GODLY reason for all we go through when we give our hearts and our problems to the Lord. We cant see his great purpose in it at the time but sometimes its to prepare us for what we would do for others... I find this true in my life. I thank God that I am able to relate to the young abused Child, The hurt & pregnant teen, The woman considering abortion, The one who's lost a parent... to minister to their needs and serve the Lord and bring others to the Lord who are in these trials for this is a wonderful and great commission. And in typing this I just came to a realization that I do need to step up in service. Thankyou precious John for that. I thank God for my health, I thank God that no matter what happens with my son's health that I know I've given him control & am confident that all will work out exactly how God wills it. My son wants to be a pastor & I told him that God is faithful but we need to endure trials that we can relate to those who are ill and downtrodden that we can understand first hand what they are enduring or their fear. I pray that he doesnt have too much pain as a result of this choice but I will gently guide him through these trials and Love and appreciate a 9 year old who's heart is truly with the Lord. Whether we are 9 or 63 there is still within the hurt little kid who asks why Lord why. Its easy in good times to say his grace is sufficient and should be sufficient but I think everyone goes through times where they think Lord where are you, why have you forsaken me why am I so hurt... Did I grieve you Lord that you would not heal me? What have I done Lord. Ultimately I think that there is a bigger picture that we fail to see... Like my unbelieving cousins and relatives who see my cousin who can not walk who hasnt eaten in 3 years who's very body is shutting down... the see HOW GREAT is her faith, How much she loves the Lord in her infirmity. She is a true example of the Love of God and the trials brought her closer. I dont know what your deal is John, I just know that the Lord has great purpose for these times and you are showing yourself to be a man of great faith & love of the Lord. This is how I see you. Again I say bless your heart.

Last edited:
L

lighthousejohn

Thank you IMOSS for the words of faith and encouragement. They are a blessing.

In Christ!

John

M

Mulehide

Bless your heart. I think it is difficult to reconcile why God who loves us would seemingly turn his back on us in times of great trial. I know my cousin who's faith is as great as her infirmity is such a testimony to the goodness of the Lord in her very illness. For she is the example of Godly love and none have faith greater (in my opinion). With that being said I'm certain she has innermost times where she cry's out why me lord??? why me. I know that in your trials John you are showing yourself a man of great faith to those around you and you are ministering to those who are also dealing with pain, either physical or emotional. I do believe there is a reason a GODLY reason for all we go through when we give our hearts and our problems to the Lord. We cant see his great purpose in it at the time but sometimes its to prepare us for what we would do for others... I find this true in my life. I thank God that I am able to relate to the young abused Child, The hurt & pregnant teen, The woman considering abortion, The one who's lost a parent... to minister to their needs and serve the Lord and bring others to the Lord who are in these trials for this is a wonderful and great commission. And in typing this I just came to a realization that I do need to step up in service. Thankyou precious John for that. I thank God for my health, I thank God that no matter what happens with my son's health that I know I've given him control & am confident that all will work out exactly how God wills it. My son wants to be a pastor & I told him that God is faithful but we need to endure trials that we can relate to those who are ill and downtrodden that we can understand first hand what they are enduring or their fear. I pray that he doesnt have too much pain as a result of this choice but I will gently guide him through these trials and Love and appreciate a 9 year old who's heart is truly with the Lord. Whether we are 9 or 63 there is still within the hurt little kid who asks why Lord why. Its easy in good times to say his grace is sufficient and should be sufficient but I think everyone goes through times where they think Lord where are you, why have you forsaken me why am I so hurt... Did I grieve you Lord that you would not heal me? What have I done Lord. Ultimately I think that there is a bigger picture that we fail to see... Like my unbelieving cousins and relatives who see my cousin who can not walk who hasnt eaten in 3 years who's very body is shutting down... the see HOW GREAT is her faith, How much she loves the Lord in her infirmity. She is a true example of the Love of God and the trials brought her closer. I dont know what your deal is John, I just know that the Lord has great purpose for these times and you are showing yourself to be a man of great faith & love of the Lord. This is how I see you. Again I say bless your heart.
Good post. Imoss
John, I couldn't agree with her more. Humanly speaking I wish you didn't have to face these trials, but your testimony of loving God and trusting God even through your trials is a great blessing and encouragment for others!

L

lighthousejohn

Good post. Imoss
John, I couldn't agree with her more. Humanly speaking I wish you didn't have to face these trials, but your testimony of loving God and trusting God even through your trials is a great blessing and encouragment for others!
Heavenly Father, By the power of the Holy Spirit and in the name of Jesus I pray for Imoss and Mulehide.

May Your perfect peace, Your perfect grace, Your perfect mercy, Your perfect love be upon IMOSS and Mulehide. I pray for you now in the name of Jesus. I ask God's favor for you as you seek Him. I praise Him for your faithfullness. I lift you up and ask God to watch over you. I ask Him to send warring angels to protect you in all that you do.
I ask Him to guide you by the power of the Holy Spirit. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen and Amen!

O

OreoSoleil

The posts that I have been sharing over the past several days come from a heart that is in great pain. As I study God's word and go through my daily devotions, God has been speaking to me and is in the process of healing my heart which has been gravely wounded. I ask that you accept these offerings in the spirit of grace that God shared with me.

This by John Piper...

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” – Hebrews 11:1

The great chapter on faith in the Bible is Hebrews, chapter 11. It begins, “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

What is often overlooked in this chapter, though, is the final eight verses where we get the balanced picture of faith as that which lays hold on God for rescue from suffering and as that which lays hold on God for peace and hope in suffering.

Verse 33 says “By faith they conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection…”

Now if we stopped reading here our conception of how the quality of faith manifests itself would be very distorted, because here it sounds as if faith always wins in this life.

But here a shift occurs and we find that faith is also the power to lose our life: “By faith … others were tortured, not accepting release, in order that they might obtain a better resurrection; others experienced mocking and scourging, yes, also chains and imprisonment.

They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheep skins, in goat skins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy) wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground . . . And all these gained approval through their faith. . . ”

The glory of God is manifested when He heals, and when he gives a sweet spirit of hope and peace to the person that He does not heal, for that, too, is a miracle of grace! O, that we might be a people among whom God is often healing our sicknesses, but is always causing us to be full of joy and peace while our sickness remains.

If we are a humble and childlike people who cry out to God in our need and trust in His promises, the Holy Spirit will help us and God will bless us with every possible blessing. He will, as the text says, work everything together for our good.
- John Piper

What pain can we suffer that has not been suffered before. Jesus said; " 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." I too will rejoice in my weakness' and my suffering as God works in me.

God has used John Piper so much in my life -- It really seems amazing that we have a God that wants to help those who need help. It amazes me and helps me see how much I still have to learn.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Good words lighthouse. Interesting that this is on your heart. I had been considering something on this as well.
Ill just share a bit on it.
Today I recieved some news on an injury that has been heavy on my heart for many years. It was a great dissapointment and I wondered if I would have to just accept this sorrow because you cannot change another sometimes. Not when they are not willing in faith.
Jesus has healed my heart so well that I knew I could stand in him. But I was very discouraged. I told God Our Father, I know what you ask that I should do, but I have nothing left to give in this, my streangth is gone. How do I keep going when all of this threatens my walk and attackes it daily?Heartbroken I continued my day wondering how I would continue to have faith for this person. I just could not do it any more.
About 2 hours later I heard form this person, as I listened I heard in their voice for the first time evidence that Jesus had begun to open their eyes.
This is a mirical! I actually had just asked that Jesus would give me the streangth to endure.
As I thought about what had been said, I realized that not only had Jesus opened the eyes in this person, but he as well had continued to work in me for that person,even when I had not been able to.
In Jesus, God Our Father had through his Holy Spirit kept working for both this person and myself when it seemed we both were unable.
I realized that 2 miricals had happened here, first the healing, but second the work even though both of us had stopped.
It is a true comfort to know that Jesus continues even when we can not.
Such a simple thing yet, great and serving in every way.
I thought of the words from a scripture, : he never tires or grows weary: about how God Our Father cares for us.
Ill try to find the whole scripture and share.
Thankyou again for this thread, healing is an unending gift .
God bless, pickles

L

lighthousejohn

Good words lighthouse. Interesting that this is on your heart. I had been considering something on this as well.
Ill just share a bit on it.
Today I recieved some news on an injury that has been heavy on my heart for many years. It was a great dissapointment and I wondered if I would have to just accept this sorrow because you cannot change another sometimes. Not when they are not willing in faith.
Jesus has healed my heart so well that I knew I could stand in him. But I was very discouraged. I told God Our Father, I know what you ask that I should do, but I have nothing left to give in this, my streangth is gone. How do I keep going when all of this threatens my walk and attackes it daily?Heartbroken I continued my day wondering how I would continue to have faith for this person. I just could not do it any more.
About 2 hours later I heard form this person, as I listened I heard in their voice for the first time evidence that Jesus had begun to open their eyes.
This is a mirical! I actually had just asked that Jesus would give me the streangth to endure.
As I thought about what had been said, I realized that not only had Jesus opened the eyes in this person, but he as well had continued to work in me for that person,even when I had not been able to.
In Jesus, God Our Father had through his Holy Spirit kept working for both this person and myself when it seemed we both were unable.
I realized that 2 miricals had happened here, first the healing, but second the work even though both of us had stopped.
It is a true comfort to know that Jesus continues even when we can not.
Such a simple thing yet, great and serving in every way.
I thought of the words from a scripture, : he never tires or grows weary: about how God Our Father cares for us.
Ill try to find the whole scripture and share.
Thankyou again for this thread, healing is an unending gift .
God bless, pickles
Thank you for this testimony of God's mercy and grace. He heals where we expect no healing. There is nothing better than to fall into the loving arms of God!

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Thank you for this testimony of God's mercy and grace. He heals where we expect no healing. There is nothing better than to fall into the loving arms of God!
What truelly amazes me is how we miss so much of his presance because we keep looking with doubt.
But when seeing and hearing him in faith, suddenly you know he has never left your side and has been caring for you all along.
Faith is 20/20 !
God bless, pickles

Feb 27, 2007
John is a man who knows how to pray for another & have it resonate. Thank you John, you surely are blessed & I continue in prayer for your leg and for restoration of all that has been taken in the last few years. Bless the Lord for you are his good and faithful servant even in times of testing and trial.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
John,

Every pain we suffer for His name's sake, brings glory to Jesus in heaven. That does not mean much to us now, but when we see Him, when we are able to touch Him with our hands, and hear Him voice with these ears, to see His face with these eyes, it will mean so much. For we suffer in His place, for Him, and He suffers with us, as we endure, so He endures just as we do, with us. In our trials, we are closer to Him than we are in our joy and peace. When we come to the end of our faith, we find His faith in us, to sustain us in all things.

Those who seem blessed because they have such a blessed life, things never seem to go wrong, they are always blessed in the things in this world, are not blessed to know the fellowship of His sufferings. Those who struggle and endure and wait for His deliverance and receive the strength that they wait for are blessed with His heart, in His heart, to know what it is to be sick or reviled or mistreated or misrepresented or slandered because of what He is in them. To be persecuted for what one believes in one thing, but to be persecuted for what Jesus has worked in and through you is altogether another thing.

I believe that this affliction is for His glory.

No matter the affliction, Jesus is able to make us stand in Him.

In His love,
My prayers in love and respect,
vic