Hebrew Roots movement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

AnandaHya

I'm researching it and thought I'd share what I found and see what your thoughts are on this new movement.

If you have any suggested websites or sermons or thoughts or opinions please post them. Especially if they have some scripture in them. :) I always like to read Scriptures though I cringe when I see men twisting it for their own purposes.

anyways here is website about the movement I am currently reading and researching.

To Embrace Hebrew Roots: Part 1:Introduction

"Is the Hebrew Roots, as some might suggest, merely the study of the Old Testament, which Christians already study in light of the New Testament?

What do the Hebrew foundational teachings expound with regard to the New Testament, the Messiah, the divinity of Jesus Christ, the Persons or Manifestations of God, the Bible and the character of God?

I could never accept the concept of being spoon-fed answers to my questions from those promoting the movement or belief that is questionable. To embrace the Hebrew Roots theology without a full review and understanding of its teachings, would be blindness on our part and lead to ignoring the many warnings we find in the Word of God.

2 Timothy 3:13-17:
"But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them: And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be throughly furnished unto all good works."
We know that many of the Hebrew Roots ministries are connected with each other and with various other types of ministries. This obligates us to investigate them even more thoroughly. By examining the HR teachings, those of the Jewish faith and it's mystical exponent, Kabbalism--which is indeed the concerning root of the Hebrew Roots movement--we will then see if what is taught upholds the Word of God."

R

RachelBibleStudent

i noticed that this author misrepresents a lot of the positions that are being advocated in the quotations he uses...

he also seems to be deliberately conflating the views of the hebrew roots movement with the views of rabbinical judaism... he goes on and on about kabbalah even though that has pretty much nothing to do with the hebrew roots movement...

this author sounds agenda driven and he probably already made up his mind before he did his research... it is pretty clear that he thinks christians should avoid anything that sounds 'too jewish'...maybe he is protesting too much when he begins his article with an assurance that he is not an anti semite...

he isn't even totally consistent with that though... he objects to the use of the name 'yahweh'...even though it was early rabbinic jews who began the tradition of replacing the name with 'lord' in the first place...

personally i think it is good that christians are becoming more interested in studying the background of jesus' work more deeply... many christians are used to interpreting the old testament in terms of the new testament...but it is equally useful to interpret the new testament in terms of the old testament...

A

AnandaHya

i noticed that this author misrepresents a lot of the positions that are being advocated in the quotations he uses...

he also seems to be deliberately conflating the views of the hebrew roots movement with the views of rabbinical judaism... he goes on and on about kabbalah even though that has pretty much nothing to do with the hebrew roots movement...

this author sounds agenda driven and he probably already made up his mind before he did his research... it is pretty clear that he thinks christians should avoid anything that sounds 'too jewish'...maybe he is protesting too much when he begins his article with an assurance that he is not an anti semite...

he isn't even totally consistent with that though... he objects to the use of the name 'yahweh'...even though it was early rabbinic jews who began the tradition of replacing the name with 'lord' in the first place...

personally i think it is good that christians are becoming more interested in studying the background of jesus' work more deeply... many christians are used to interpreting the old testament in terms of the new testament...but it is equally useful to interpret the new testament in terms of the old testament...
I don't know I have to study it more but it reminds me of Jesus warning to His disciples when you say that it is "equally useful to interpret the new testament in terms of the old testament"

Matthew 16

5 Now when His disciples had come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. 6 Then Jesus said to them, “Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees.”
7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, “It is because we have taken no bread.”
8 But Jesus, being aware of it, said to them, “O you of little faith, why do you reason among yourselves because you have brought no bread?[c] 9 Do you not yet understand, or remember the five loaves of the five thousand and how many baskets you took up? 10 Nor the seven loaves of the four thousand and how many large baskets you took up? 11 How is it you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread?—but to beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they understood that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

I think we should learn what the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees were so we do not mix them into our doctrine and beliefs about Jesus and His teachings.

We should learn and identify the modern day versions of Pharisees and Sadducees.

I haven't studied it in depth but I know the Pharisees were very legalistic and into ritual and pomp but they believed in the resurrection. However the Sadducees thought this life was it and there was no resurrection.

do you know anything more about either group?

B

Bloodwashed

I'd stay away from the Hebrew Roots movement!!! All you need is Jesus!!!! I'd stay away from that site also. They maybe right on this one, but I smell a rat! God Bless--Mark--

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

Is todays Jewish religion the same Hebrew religion of the Old Testament? I don't think so. I think it could be dangerous to learn from a religion that is anti-christian and anti-Christ.
On the other hand I love the Old Testament. I love learning about the Old Hebrews and how their customs and religion started, and why they were a shadow of things to come in the New Testament.
You can be anti-jewish religion and not anti-jew, or anti-semite. The problem is people don't tend to differentiate the two and there is a big difference. Just like you can be anti-buddhist religion and not racist against chinese people. You can be anti-islam religion and not anti-arab person.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
I was into hebrootism for a time. A lot of what is generally taught in the heb root movement is actually correct, although it requires quite much research to discover it. There is some knowledge there that you cannot easily find elsewhere. Others of their fantastic claims are incorrect or has not enough sources to back it up.

Typical problems of the hebrooters are, aside from the often present judaizing, the views of the doctrine of justification, mixing law and gospel, advocating law keeping and then inconsequently picking and choosing some laws while neglecting others, the idea of making a bridge between judaism and christianity (where they're doing all they can to wipe out the obvious differences between them). Some goes so far in their "heb rooting" as to deny the deity of Christ and reject the trinity, the virgin birth, the crucifixion and traditional christians beliefs of heaven and hell as pagan.

Nevertheless, the concept of a truly jewish Messiah within a hebrew mindset makes sense, of course. Hebrootism and the writings of Paul is another bag that is not so easily reconciled though. Some heb root teachers would stress that Paul remained an observant pharisee but have great difficulties to explain how much now-jews should follow such an example today.

A

AnandaHya

I was into hebrootism for a time. A lot of what is generally taught in the heb root movement is actually correct, although it requires quite much research to discover it. There is some knowledge there that you cannot easily find elsewhere. Others of their fantastic claims are incorrect or has not enough sources to back it up.

Typical problems of the hebrooters are, aside from the often present judaizing, the views of the doctrine of justification, mixing law and gospel, advocating law keeping and then inconsequently picking and choosing some laws while neglecting others, the idea of making a bridge between judaism and christianity (where they're doing all they can to wipe out the obvious differences between them). Some goes so far in their "heb rooting" as to deny the deity of Christ and reject the trinity, the virgin birth, the crucifixion and traditional christians beliefs of heaven and hell as pagan.

Nevertheless, the concept of a truly jewish Messiah within a hebrew mindset makes sense, of course. Hebrootism and the writings of Paul is another bag that is not so easily reconciled though. Some heb root teachers would stress that Paul remained an observant pharisee but have great difficulties to explain how much now-jews should follow such an example today.
thanks for the summary :)

R

RachelBibleStudent

if you want to learn more about this...there is a very good tv show called 'discovering the jewish jesus'...the host is a messianic jewish rabbi named kirt schneider

also you can read the writings of alfred edersheim

T

tovrose

There is a lot of confusion between "Hebrew roots" and "Messianic Judaism"
They are not the same.
Messianic Judaism is longer established and not as fringe as "hebrew roots"
-TOV
www.TheMessianicBible.com

Oct 31, 2011
I'd stay away from the Hebrew Roots movement!!! All you need is Jesus!!!! I'd stay away from that site also. They maybe right on this one, but I smell a rat! God Bless--Mark--
If all you need is Jesus, who clears our sin so we can go to the Father, then all you need is being cleared of sin to reach the Father, so all you need is the Father through Jesus. Use the HS to think it through!!!

Oct 31, 2011
The words Hebrew Roots can not be defined by "using a way to Christ other than the blood." It cannot be defined by "false teachings" unless the OT is not scripture for it wants us to learn from the OT as much as from the New. It does not mean using the way of the Pharisees in our worship. It is not a movement to use legalism as a path to God. It has nothing in the least to do with denying Christ, but it is about Christ. It does not advocate using law instead of Christ for salvation.

It is a movement to learn God principles as the OT shows them. As they have done this, they found blessings in how the rituals helped us, as humans, understand and worship God. Our present day church, with their emphasis on completely understanding the spiritual realm we live in, wants absolutely nothing to do with bringing any of our humanness into that. Like the gnostics in Paul's day, they prefer denying all flesh and let it have it's way. If you deny it, it will go away. So the church is up in arms with all kind of lies about them.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

If all you need is Jesus, who clears our sin so we can go to the Father, then all you need is being cleared of sin to reach the Father, so all you need is the Father through Jesus. Use the HS to think it through!!!
John 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

G

GreenNnice

This book, Hebrews, is rooted in faith, our faith to follow Him, to understand that we are led by His ministers of fire, His angels, His Spirit, that it is better for us to obey His leading our lives, and, yes, this includes following His laws, but, more so, it requires our obedience to Christ's will for our life and His using us for His glory and for our blessing, again, these values, including believing that one will NOT go the way EVER of blaspheming the Holy Spirit is in regards of two major things: heart and faith. Our heart is to be AFTER Him, He knows our heart, do you REALLY want to blasphemy the Holy Spirit??? To do it, you MUST do things that are joyously horrid and altogether unspeakable acts against Him, right? Fully denying Him in your life. And, YOU are not that kind of person, are you? Of course not. You, au contraire, have found joy in Him and dare I say, it is joy unspeakable :)

Our foundation of belief is through the prophets and apostles and, of course, Jesus Christ, the chief cornerstone ,whom aLL are to worship FIRST and have not other Gods before goes without saying, right, just as we are to love others as ourselves means we are to love with His Love that we HAVE in us because He gave us the ability to do so, by virtue of His Spirit working miracles in us, through us, and, dare I say something else, by us :) Faith !! And, all by and through faith :)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I dabbled in it for 6 mos. and found a deemphasis on...
the sufficiency of Christ,
the vicarious atonement,
the teachings of the Apostle Paul

and majorly lacking was the truth that the levitical system was done away with the introduction of a new Priest AND Priesthood. (Heb 7:12).

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
It may be wise for all to examine who is the Root of their own personal Faith.

The New Testament has its fair share of "doctrines of men".

Oct 31, 2011
I dabbled in it for 6 mos. and found a deemphasis on...
the sufficiency of Christ,
the vicarious atonement,
the teachings of the Apostle Paul

and majorly lacking was the truth that the levitical system was done away with the introduction of a new Priest AND Priesthood. (Heb 7:12).
I am studying the OT with three goals in mind: Finding the God principles it teaches, how each chapter is expanded in the gospel and epistles, and seeing that the primary goal of God is for our salvation. Also to see the unity of God throughout all scripture. I was told this was Hebrew Roots.

What you personally saw is not what Hebrew Roots teaches.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I am studying the OT with three goals in mind: Finding the God principles it teaches, how each chapter is expanded in the gospel and epistles, and seeing that the primary goal of God is for our salvation. Also to see the unity of God throughout all scripture. I was told this was Hebrew Roots.

What you personally saw is not what Hebrew Roots teaches.
I attended three congregations and learned from the horses mouth, it takes more than textbooks.