Horror lovers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
My favorite genre of books and films are definitely horror by far. Often during halloween one of the things me and my local brothers and sisters in Christ do is bike throughout the more decorated neighborhoods, go on a haystack horror ride, read some things from the Bible centered around horror and finish it off at someone’s house watching a few horror films and eating pizza until we pass out.

Christianity often comes up in horror films. Though sometimes negatively as a silly Christian trope praying to god instead of running away or something lol.

I’m mostly into nature based horror films. But was wondering what was everyone’s favorite horror series, movie, or book? Anything in it able to open up a naturally flowing conversation about god?
I really enjoyed the Jigsaw movies.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
we have a sci-fic fantasy section in the bookshop but not a horror section.

In my primary school library, I dont call it horror. I call it 'scary books'. I also have a section dedicated to ghost chapter books.

One of the most popular books is Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier.

Some of the children do believe there is a ghost in the library. I dont know who started the rumour, but I havent been scared, if there is a ghost its a friendly one and apparently doesnt like that much noise.
If a book falls off the shelf apparently its because of the ghost!

Simona1988

Mar 15, 2021
There has always been crappy horror with no point but violence and shock. There are thousands of horror movies and books published each year so anyone who claims they are not like they use to be are simply just stating an opinion based on what they may or may not have seen. No it’s not foolish to say I’m not affected by horror. Horror does not desensitize you anymore than romance novels make you more loving. It’s all irrelevant to a persons emotional intelligence, cognitive thinking skills, and actions. For example the majority of what I watch is horror.
Crappy or good, that's not the point.
Art can house the demonic. Even genius art. So, the point is: does the art we consume, make us think about our life and death, about our Creator, or it makes us more depressed, more deepened in this world?
The purpose of a Christian is to acquire the mind of God (this is the reason why you read the Bible, go to Church, you pray etc.)
Seek the kingdom of God.

I’m still a vegan who focuses on conservation and ecology within my career. I don’t use pesticides on my plants and break for snakes and if I see a turtle trying to cross a road, I stop and help move it. So horror movies did not affect me at all. For a fact of the women I know who watch romantic movies still indiscriminately kill things like spiders and scream fot someone to kill snakes. They are way less compassionate than I am.
I didn't know that being a vegan, caring for spiders and snakes and helping a turtle (?) cross a road are in the job description of a Christian.
You seem to not take God (and the Church) seriously...remember that fear of God is the beginning of the wisdom.

It’s also something that happens in the Bible. There is a reason why the Bible is cslled one of the bloodiest horror filmed books ever wrote. It opens up with evil deceiving mankind. It ends with an apocalyptical horror story that has dragons, sea monsters, people thst can’t die but living in pain, and a lake of fire. Even portrays the Babylonian woman with vampirism tendencies. ( yes it’s all symbolism). The Torah is full of war from dashing babies heads on rocks, stabbing swords through people, people hanging from their hair, evil spirits and so the New Testament puts a emphasis on the death of a innocent man, the suicide of his betrayer and the war between demons and evil and angels and goodness. But just like horror films, it also showcases love and friendship overcoming evil.
Have you read the bible? Since it's 'one of the bloodiest horror filmed books' and you are a big fan of the genre...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I don't see horror genre as being a part of our walking orders-
Philippians 4:8-9 King James Version (KJV)
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

darui

Mar 2, 2020
I am fan of horror stories and my favourite writer is S. King. I prefer to use pdf scanner for books and read it after work. Sometimes I can share my faviurite part of bible with friends. Such tool can be useful in daily life especialy when you like to read books.

M

MoonCresta

I get enough horror exposure when I tune into politics. I suppose I'll be the individual who once enjoyed horror movies but I guess the Spirit has sensitized me to that kind of imagery. Like im okay with the old classics but newer stuff can be quite unsettling as someone uses a a ring shaped as a shovel for digging out peoples eyes.

Yes I unfortunately was talked into watching the green inferno by a Mexican coworker who loves the Aztec type of Indian cultures. I had no idea how disturbing it was going to be.

Basically, a plane goes down in the rainforest filled with college activist who tried to save the tribe. But the tribe didn't know they were friendly and instead killed, captured, and practices cannibalism on the survivors. The first boy to go had me feeling sick.

So needless to say I am no fan of modern horror movies or tv shows. Especially hate demonic ones.
"I get enough horror exposure when I tune into politics. " AMEN TO THAT! I'm amazed how nasty people on even this Christian Chat can become - I could say their names but I won't - they're safely ignored anyway.

But back to the point: I have two favorites: Nightmare Castle (1965) and a true noir film, Carnival of Souls. I also enjoy the zombie films from the early thirties (White Zombie). But I really don't like modern horror films either. Oh, I just was reminded of the silly horror films I like, the Japanese Godzilla and Gamera, killer tomatoes and others.

DeanM

May 4, 2021
I enjoy the classic horror. The Universal monsters as well as the Hammer movies. And Halloween is another favorite as well.

May 13, 2021
This thread is almost a year old but whatevs.
My favorite horror movie is Stay Alive, it's not very well known but it's a classic in my book.
As for horror movies in general, I feel conflcited because as a child my grandparents always told me that watching anything that made me afraid was opening a gateway for evil. I still believe this to this day, but i feel like we have a choice whether or not to feel afraid or not after we watch it.
Do you all believe that after watching something horror themed, we are allowing evil to enter our homes? Or do you believe that its all in the mind? I'd love to hear someone elses perspective on this!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
This thread is almost a year old but whatevs.
My favorite horror movie is Stay Alive, it's not very well known but it's a classic in my book.
As for horror movies in general, I feel conflcited because as a child my grandparents always told me that watching anything that made me afraid was opening a gateway for evil. I still believe this to this day, but i feel like we have a choice whether or not to feel afraid or not after we watch it.
Do you all believe that after watching something horror themed, we are allowing evil to enter our homes? Or do you believe that its all in the mind? I'd love to hear someone elses perspective on this!
Homes? No. That seems a rather Pentecostal sounding notion.
Minds? Yes.
But different people handle such things differently. I, for one, don't do so well watching such stuff, therefore I avoid it mostly.
Yet others handle it well. My sister used to love horror movies. She may be scared during it, but once it's over, she's fine.
If one can handle it without issue, and their conscience is clear, then go ahead. If not then they have no right going anywhere near it.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
According to the Science of Neuroplasticity there is a basis for that. every thought we have produces a protein like structure in the brain, if it does not line up with the Galatains 5 attributes the structure is imperfect and produces negative and harmful effects, this is what taking in fear and horror do.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Plants vs zombies.

The plants win of course.

others that are popular include diary of a minecraft zombie and Goosebumps books.
Im not a fan of those but some children like them.

Maybe they will turn out to be doctors or surgeons, or nurses as they can handle a lot of blood and gore.

Otherwise there are some war stories that are horrific, though Diary of Anne Frank wasnt actually describing the concentration camps in detail.
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom did that. Morris Gleitzman had done a series of books a oit the holocaust.

YA books are definitely darker, though. I'm not into them. I prefer reading aomething lighter. even as a teen I wasnt into the whole horror that some seem fascinated by.

One time a group of friends went to a haunted house (an old mental asylum called spookers) and I refused to go, I dont know if I was chicken but having actually been inside one before I wasnt actually keen to go to one just for fun lol. Or pay for the privelige.

Ive been inside an abattoir too. Thats not a job I'd relish. But some people can handle freezing works. Im not one of those. The animals are treated as humanely as possible but since its mass slaughtering its not ideal.
Its better to do homekill than transport them to their death cos of the stress on the animals.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Yes indeed! Home kill is best.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I had a girl ask me to read a picture book called 'cinderella skeleton' and she liked it so much she asked me to read it again.

she also asked her relieving teacher to read it to the class but the teacher got about halfway and said it was disturbing and didnt want to read anymore!

Its not everyones cup of tea. Cinderella was already dead and instead of leaving the glass slipper at the palace her entire foot snapped off.